coastalfreak

Metal-Bodied vs Composite Spinning Reels for the Surf

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2021 at 3:07 PM, unctarheel78 said:

Ci4 and Zaion are both tough, so I don't think you lose much going non-metal.

I think the primary inquiry is sealed vs. non-sealed.  If you want sealed, there is not really a composite option I am aware of.  If you don't need sealed, then a Ballistic 6000 would be nice (super light) if you want the additional line capacity and I assume, a larger main gear than soemthing like a Stradic FL 5000.  

But for the surf, a Penn Slammer 4500 (ipx6 sealed) would be nice for those sized lures and comes in at around 14.5 ounces.  Saragosa 6000 (sealed) is nice, but a good bit heavier.  You could also go with a Stradic FL 5000 (aluminum body, but not sealed).

Since you say you are not always the nicest to your gear, I think a Slammer 3 4500 is an easy choice. 

THIS ^ ^ ^............You can't go wrong IMHO !!  I've got two of them and have used them strong the past 4 years.  Basic maintenance every year with freshwater rinses after each use.....that's it !!

32 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

THIS ^ ^ ^............You can't go wrong IMHO !!  I've got two of them and have used them strong the past 4 years.  Basic maintenance every year with freshwater rinses after each use.....that's it !!

While I’m a big fan of the Slammer III, I’ve owned the 4500 before, the OP will also be bait fishing and live lining with his reel as well.  Because of the Slammer’s dual drag system set up, where there is also a big drag washer at the base of the spool, the minimum drag setting is way too tight to effectively baitfish or liveline IMO.  The regular Penn Spinfisher VI has the exact same level of sealing as the Slammer with a regular drag set up, so you can set a minimum drag setting that will be more effective than the Slammer for baitfishing and livelining.

28 mins ago, Water Dog said:

While I’m a big fan of the Slammer III, I’ve owned the 4500 before, the OP will also be bait fishing and live lining with his reel as well.  Because of the Slammer’s dual drag system set up, where there is also a big drag washer at the base of the spool, the minimum drag setting is way too tight to effectively baitfish or liveline IMO.  The regular Penn Spinfisher VI has the exact same level of sealing as the Slammer with a regular drag set up, so you can set a minimum drag setting that will be more effective than the Slammer for baitfishing and livelining.

Missed the bait fishing part ..... I think there also has to be an assessment as to what will he be dedicating the majority of his time to.  If the majority will be plugging, I’d still go with the Slammer 4500 if he only had one overall choice.

3 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Interesting. I’m leaning towards something like a BG, Battle III, or even a Shimano Baitrunner. I appreciate your comments, very helpful.

From personal experience, the BGs in that size you're looking will not be greased properly for the surf.
@ScoobyDoo has a youtube video covering the BG 4000 maintenance and bearing maintenance.  They are really easy to tear down, clean, grease and reassemble.  
What I did when I first tore into a BG was took pictures of every component removed or change I made and then laid everything out on butcher paper, making notes and taking pictures along the way.  I also printed the schematic, measured the bearings with a micrometer and kept notes on that too.  For under $120, the Daiwa BGs are great.

Along the same lines, if you’re gonna maintain your own reels, the new Penn Battle III DX would be a nice option as well, especially with the CNC machined brass main and pinion gears.

1 hour ago, Water Dog said:

Along the same lines, if you’re gonna maintain your own reels, the new Penn Battle III DX would be a nice option as well, especially with the CNC machined brass main and pinion gears.

Certainly something I’m considering after Scooby’s vid. Love the silver too. :howdy:

On 1/14/2021 at 5:00 AM, Beastly Backlash said:

Where metal is an option always go with metal.

I second this. If I was buying a standard type spinning reel now I would be taking a hard look at a battle 3. That said, I would also be considering a penn conflict 2 LC which is a composite. The application is more important when thinking of a composite reel. I fished 2 decades in the surf with a 550ssg on my light surf setup and had no issues. 

A couple of years back I purchased three metal body ten plus bearing spinning reels for about twenty bucks.. I originally was using them as my loner reels but last season I started using them as my go to reels for Blues and with very little care just a washdown after every use. I would put them against any high end reel. 

The Battle 3, and especially the DX is something that has really caught my eye. I’ve heard mixed thoughts on it vs the BG. Based off what I know right now, I’d go with the Battle III but what would you guys pick? 

13 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

The Battle 3, and especially the DX is something that has really caught my eye. I’ve heard mixed thoughts on it vs the BG. Based off what I know right now, I’d go with the Battle III but what would you guys pick? 

If I had to buy any spinner under $300 right now I would get the Battle DX.

All metal with brass gears for under $120. Not to mention a pretty good review by scoob.