Truecoat epoxy

Rate this topic

Punch63

Ok so I tried it again. I got 4 plugs done and the damn stuff hardened in the cup. I couldn’t spread it anymore. Wasted a shitload. I usually do 16 with 1/3 of that amount. The 4 I did look decent but what a waste of epoxy. The finish has almost a rubbery feel to it, which I am not a fan of really. I like it smooth hard and slippery which I get with my old standby system3. I will talk with Joe and ask him why it kicks so fast and see what he says. Cup below with how much was wasted after 4 plugs. 

1AA3F1A7-E4D3-40ED-9F95-6CE3D9FAF3A6.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

On 3/25/2021 at 5:14 PM, ed morini said:

Kphresh:

I'm asking because I don't have the product handy as yet

I contacted the owner of Truecoat and got this reply

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 10:31 AM
To: ed morini <edmorini@theshipscarpenter.net>
Subject: Re: Mixing schedule

Hi Ed. The weight ratio is included with the instructions on the inside lid of the box.

Just in case though: 

32grams of part B to 37grams part A.

You can scale this up , ex 64g part B to 74g part A, 128g part B to 148g part A , etc. 

I do not recommend scaling it down though. It’s too easy to knock the ratio out of proportion in smaller amounts. I recommend using small measuring cups or syringes for small amounts 

Regardless of the amount: mix for one minute and let stand 5 mins before applying 

TrueGlide LLC 

Dividing 37by 32 = 1.1562 multiplier for a 1:1 mix Is that close to the  multiplier you used. 1.6 would be more hardener and I wondering if that yielded a harder mix your coating. 

Ed, your math is correct that is what I used. My previous post was from memory which apparently wasn't spot on hahahaha :freak:.

@Steel Pulse I was doing like 6 plugs and it definitely kicked fast but not that fast. I wonder if the more volume of product can produce more heat of reaction and cause the whole chemical process to speed up...? Would be my best guess. I only mixed maybe 25ml total so on the smaller side and less overall heat of reaction. There is also a lot of air in the cured mix, so I can see you aren't kidding when you say it kicked fast....

Edited by Kphresh

On 3/25/2021 at 5:14 PM, ed morini said:

Kphresh:

I'm asking because I don't have the product handy as yet

I contacted the owner of Truecoat and got this reply

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 10:31 AM
To: ed morini <edmorini@theshipscarpenter.net>
Subject: Re: Mixing schedule

Hi Ed. The weight ratio is included with the instructions on the inside lid of the box.

Just in case though: 

32grams of part B to 37grams part A.

You can scale this up , ex 64g part B to 74g part A, 128g part B to 148g part A , etc. 

I do not recommend scaling it down though. It’s too easy to knock the ratio out of proportion in smaller amounts. I recommend using small measuring cups or syringes for small amounts 

Regardless of the amount: mix for one minute and let stand 5 mins before applying 

TrueGlide LLC 

Dividing 37by 32 = 1.1562 multiplier for a 1:1 mix Is that close to the  multiplier you used. 1.6 would be more hardener and I wondering if that yielded a harder mix your coating. 

Based on that, and the fact that it seems that just being a bit off screws up the mix and makes it too soft, I'm out.

Been happy with Envirotex for the past 20 years, no reason to change now

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

2 hours ago, Kphresh said:

Ed, your math is correct that is what I used. My previous post was from memory which apparently wasn't spot on hahahaha :freak:.

@Steel Pulse I was doing like 6 plugs and it definitely kicked fast but not that fast. I wonder if the more volume of product can produce more heat of reaction and cause the whole chemical process to speed up...? Would be my best guess. I only mixed maybe 25ml total so on the smaller side and less overall heat of reaction. There is also a lot of air in the cured mix, so I can see you aren't kidding when you say it kicked fast....

I mixed the minimum he said to do on the box top. It was way more than I would do normally but figured I’d follow the instructions. I’ll try a smaller batch but to be honest I think I’ll stick to my old standby, System3, which has been going good past several times. I like to try new stuff though and also am a glutton for punishment 

I find with most epoxies that if it's contained in a small area it builds up heat fast and kicks faster then it should...it's why I like using a shallow saucer covered with aluminum foil which spreads out the mix...slowing down the cure time and also it's easier to pop any bubbles being so thin.

This is the only epoxy I have ever used that had this effect. Usually by the time I apply my usual 16 plugs the mixture is still usable if there is any left over. Maybe cause it’s a 1 to 1 mix which is something I don’t normally use.