Reel suggestions

Rate this topic

Birdsnester

piscifun .

oem factory brand name reels.

good price. works well.

otherwise, any daiwa with a T Wing levelwind will do nicely.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

8 hours ago, ooeric said:

piscifun

You gotta wonder how they can be so cheap.  Part of it must be the lack of a name brand.  But, names of brands can be bought these days.  Maybe it's because there's one less middleman?  It may be the price of materials with less density and reinforcement in the plastics and cheaper metal?  Maybe it's to keep the people working between runs of name brand reels?

I've bought low-pro baitcasters for much less than those.... just to see what they're all about.  At the absolute bottom of the barrel the frame and side plates were solvent welded (glued) together so you can't see the guts or lubricate without cutting it open.

But, the funny thing is they all probably fish just fine out of the box.  Cast OK, drag OK, brakes OK.  I don't know how long it would last with normal use;  probably not very long.   But they're disposable and the cost per hour of use might now be that bad.  It's not what the fishing fanatic would buy, but cheap crappy junk has it's place in the world too.

-steve

Edited by oc1

10 hours ago, oc1 said:

You gotta wonder how they can be so cheap.  Part of it must be the lack of a name brand.  But, names of brands can be bought these days.  Maybe it's because there's one less middleman?  It may be the price of materials with less density and reinforcement in the plastics and cheaper metal?  Maybe it's to keep the people working between runs of name brand reels?

I've bought low-pro baitcasters for much less than those.... just to see what they're all about.  At the absolute bottom of the barrel the frame and side plates were solvent welded (glued) together so you can't see the guts or lubricate without cutting it open.

But, the funny thing is they all probably fish just fine out of the box.  Cast OK, drag OK, brakes OK.  I don't know how long it would last with normal use;  probably not very long.   But they're disposable and the cost per hour of use might now be that bad.  It's not what the fishing fanatic would buy, but cheap crappy junk has it's place in the world too.

-steve

No they are built fairly well.  The casters, i dont have a spinner to break open.

I got a few baitcasters just to try.  Internals are good.   Brass gears. Cut nicely. Carbon drags.  Everything is metal or nice solid plastics.  What is load bearing has a bearing or metal.  Greased up nicely.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

I have been playing around with a Shimano SLX DC for the past year. Very impressive reel! Smooth as butter, built solid, and very reliable. I don’t do much freshwater, so this might be more than you need to spend. But if you have the funds, why the eff not buy something better? And yes, I have been casting conventional reels for years now. I do not need full magnetic or centrifugal assistance with my casts, but when casting tiny lures worms ect...the DC does make it easy. Especially in windy conditions. 

On 1/14/2021 at 2:41 PM, oc1 said:

You definitely want either no levelwind or a disengaging levelwind for light lures.

With a good reel, well set up and with bearings speed lubed, and the right line on the spool, I've never had a problem throwing down to 3/8oz ... 1/4oz can be tough for me and would require a spinner.

The only government I trust is the .45-70

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

I have been playing around with a Shimano SLX DC for the past year. Very impressive reel! Smooth as butter, built solid, and very reliable. I don’t do much freshwater, so this might be more than you need to spend. But if you have the funds, why the eff not buy something better? And yes, I have been casting conventional reels for years now. I do not need full magnetic or centrifugal assistance with my casts, but when casting tiny lures worms ect...the DC does make it easy. Especially in windy conditions. 

I've always wondered if you could charge a cell phone with one of those DC reels.

-steve