Birdsnester

Reel suggestions

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I am going to get into freshwater fushing this year, for the first time since I was a teen!  58 now...   so I built a 6 1/2’ rod from a carbon fiber blank.  It will be used to toss 1/4 to about 1/2 oz lures.  This will be used tossing in ponds and streams.

The rod part is easy since I already built it but the reel selection is insane.  I’ve been looking at low profile baitcasters and I am really confused. They don’t seem to have size ratings like a round reel does.  And there is a zillion of them out there.

so, I am looking for low profile, external controls whether it be mag or centrifugal.  Right or left hand I don’t think will matter much to me.  Good quality under $150 .  My casts will probably be no more than 100’ and I’ll be fishing for Large and Small mouth Bass, Trout, things like that

Edited by Birdsnester

@scoobydoo can help for sure! 

Not an expert on low pros by any means but you can try to take a look at the SLX. People really like them. Not sure if it meets all your requirements though so definitely do some research.  

The Daiwa Tatula CT is nice for about $130, the abovementioned Shimano SLX is nice for a few bucks less. I personally don't care for Abu's, but they obviously have their fans.

Regarding sizes, Shimano for example does use sizes. A 150 is now the standard size whereas years ago it was a 200 size for freshwater baitcasters. A current 70 size would be like an old 100 size Shimano baitcaster. Smaller body, less line capacity.

They've scaled down the bodies nicely over the past 5-10 years, so where a 200 size years ago was a tad large, the new 150 size Shimanos are real easy to palm.

Other things to consider is the gear ratio of the reel. That's usually the differentiating factor in a "XT" or "HG" model etc.

Edited by TopwaterPete

7 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

the reel selection is insane

Man, I feel your pain.  Sometimes the line capacity is the only thing that gives a clue about size and there's a bazillion of them.

I fished Lew's for a while because they had the inshore model that was supposedly for saltwater use.  Then I used the Shimano Curado 70XG for quite a while.  Funny, because on both of those the magnet control knob on the tail plate started to bind and became nearly impossible to turn.  Both had a couple of small screws going directly into plastic instead of a metal insert.  Both had problems with the finish.  It wasn't scratching on the outside, but more like deterioration of the pigment from under the clear coat.  Both developed corrosion problems with a couple of small interior parts.  They were both maintenance hogs and tedious to work on.  I want a reel to be easy to palm think but think it was primarily the high maintenance that made me go back to simpler old-school round reels.

You can pay any price, from tens to hundreds of dollars.  Since you have a budget, I'd just get the one closest to $150 and be done with it.

Yeah, I know.  That's no help at all.

-steve

Edited by oc1

I just got an Abu Revo SX, great reel, Shimano is nice, never been a fan of Daiwa, but that's personal preference.  The biggest thing to look at with the low profile baitcasters is the gear ratio and what type of lures.  If it's one rod all around reel, I'd get about a 6.8.  Lew's is really popular, also owned by Pure Fishing so very similar to Abu's and their Speed Spool reels are pretty nice.  

~100 dollars: Shimano SLX or Daiwa Fuego CT

If you can stretch you budget some, the 2020 Tatula SV is great ($200, but you can easily get 10% off by asking tackle shops).  SLX DC around $200 is also awesome.

If it was my money, I would either spend $100 or $200 on the reels above (and stay away from the in-between). 

Edited by unctarheel78
clarification

2 hours ago, oc1 said:

Man, I feel your pain.  Sometimes the line capacity is the only thing that gives a clue about size and there's a bazillion of them.

I fished Lew's for a while because they had the inshore model that was supposedly for saltwater use.  Then I used the Shimano Curado 70XG for quite a while.  Funny, because on both of those the magnet control knob on the tail plate started to bind and became nearly impossible to turn.  Both had a couple of small screws going directly into plastic instead of a metal insert.  Both had problems with the finish.  It wasn't scratching on the outside, but more like deterioration of the pigment from under the clear coat.  Both developed corrosion problems with a couple of small interior parts.  They were both maintenance hogs and tedious to work on.  I want a reel to be easy to palm think but think it was primarily the high maintenance that made me go back to simpler old-school round reels.

You can pay any price, from tens to hundreds of dollars.  Since you have a budget, I'd just get the one closest to $150 and be done with it.

Yeah, I know.  That's no help at all.

-steve

LoL Steve after reading your post maybe I should just get an Abu 5500 or something in that range.  I do all my own maintenance but don’t want to be married to it.  Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, unctarheel78 said:

~100 dollars: Shimano SLX or Daiwa Fuego CT

If you can stretch you budget some, the 2020 Tatula SV is great ($200, but you can easily get 10% off by asking tackle shops).  SLX DC around $200 is also awesome.

If it was my money, I would either spend $100 or $200 on the reels above (and stay away from the in-between). 

I’ll check those out.  The budget was nothing more than just trying to be fiscally responsible.  But that never stopped me before lol 

1 hour ago, Wtrdog said:

I just got an Abu Revo SX, great reel, Shimano is nice, never been a fan of Daiwa, but that's personal preference.  The biggest thing to look at with the low profile baitcasters is the gear ratio and what type of lures.  If it's one rod all around reel, I'd get about a 6.8.  Lew's is really popular, also owned by Pure Fishing so very similar to Abu's and their Speed Spool reels are pretty nice.  

Lews have quite a selection that’s for sure

12 hours ago, AJR said:

Abu Garcia REVO X

Second this. I have more freshwater combos than i care to count, and the revo x is by far my favorite freshwater spinning reel i own.

For baitcasters i really like my daiwa tatulas in that price range. You can get tatula cts for 110-140 on amazon depending on the gear ratio. Ive got a daiwa fuego thats a bit cheaper but has been an amazing reel too (80 bucks.) If you wanna spend a bit more the shimano slx dc is incredible, and the noise it makes will make you smile every cast. That alone almost justifies the price (200 bucks)

Edited by Mlima5

12 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

LoL Steve after reading your post maybe I should just get an Abu 5500 or something in that range.  I do all my own maintenance but don’t want to be married to it.  Thanks for the advice.

If you are going to be casting lures down to 1/4oz with a baitcaster you will be better off with a low profile reel.

Look at what Diawa offers in the Tatula line up.

Personally, I'd stick with a round reel like an Abu 5501/5500 c3 that will allow one handed lure casting and retrieve as they will level the line and thus will allow more casting and less tackle fumbling.  Casting will be a dream with only centrifugal brakes, and these made in Sweden Abu reels now have 6 brake blocks instead of 2, to better adjust the casting control.  Round reels are just easier and simpler than their lo-pro brethren and you do have the ability to store lots more line.  For $120, hard to find a better casting reel than the Abu C3 types, for fresh or salt water fishies ... unless you pony up another $80 or so for an Akios S-Line.  :)