theshadow

Tony Stetzko needles

15 posts in this topic

Just found a few of his needles in the packages.Unfished and unsigned.Any value? or toss'm in the surf?

You should fish them.  I found one on the beach up in Provincetown about 8 years ago.  It is still one of my picks for dead calm, clear/shallow water when I want to fish "delicate".   I run it with a single, rather small treble and a hookless bucktail to keep it riding high.

15 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

I was thinking a plug that you find, has more luck than one you buy.

This absolutely true... based on proven real world experience.

13 hours ago, theshadow said:

Just found a few of his needles in the packages.Unfished and unsigned.Any value? or toss'm in the surf?

Their current value on eBay is $20 bucks, which is what an SS N'dl fish goes for. 'Cause it's Stetzko it is good to go.

Nice needles. Not the the best casting needle but have a subtle waggle when retrieved slooooow.

When you need that typical needle presentation over boulders or weed, they work great.

The small one in a back bay over and along the edge of eel grass beds is killer.

I find these and Choopy's needles to be interchangeable.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:38 PM, theshadow said:

On 1/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, ANGCorsair said:

Nice needles. Not the the best casting needle but have a subtle waggle when retrieved slooooow.

When you need that typical needle presentation over boulders or weed, they work great.

The small one in a back bay over and along the edge of eel grass beds is killer.

I find these and Choopy's needles to be interchangeable.

- Theshadow- Tony’s needles are in that $15-$20 range & fairly easy to obtain. 

- Angcorsair-  I say the same exact thing to my friends about the Choopy & Stetzko needles! The action is as close to exact  as well as the structural build. ( Choopy certainly has better hardware and is a more “stout” plug IMHO). 
-The small Choopy is my favorite needle and I was thrilled when I found Stetzko’s Nantucket Needlefish! Many of my spots are rather shallow & these plugs have a SLOW sink rate with a 7 degree head up. 
Both the 1.5oz are great too. 

16 hours ago, jsbergen said:

-The small Choopy is my favorite needle and I was thrilled when I found Stetzko’s Nantucket Needlefish! Many of my spots are rather shallow & these plugs have a SLOW sink rate with a 7 degree head up. 
Both the 1.5oz are great too. 

Can’t say how many I’ve taken on their small needles in Madaket Harbor. I always assumed this was the origin of Tony’s small needle’s name. 

1 hour ago, oldgoat said:

Wow ,wow, I have one of Tony's fathers wooden needlefish.

These are JRs foreign made ones that were done around the same time as the Mr. Wigglies.Had a few of dads but unfortunately they were taken during the days of the influx of the monster Yellow Eyed Devils roaming the outer Cape beaches back years ago.

13 mins ago, vineyardblues said:

A few Sr lures 

enjoy 

E205F033-3452-42FA-800F-9964075CCBBA.jpeg

You had to do that didn't you:laugh::howdy: The bottom one and the eelie ones on the left.Who says blue don't feed at night??????

On 1/16/2021 at 2:09 PM, ANGCorsair said:

Can’t say how many I’ve taken on their small needles in Madaket Harbor. I always assumed this was the origin of Tony’s small needle’s name. 

origin- First tested in  Spring 2005 on beaches of Nantucket and was his hottest lure. 

On 1/16/2021 at 4:53 PM, theshadow said:

These are JRs foreign made ones that were done around the same time as the Mr. Wigglies.Had a few of dads but unfortunately they were taken during the days of the influx of the monster Yellow Eyed Devils roaming the outer Cape beaches back years ago.

Any input from anyone that fished the Mr.Wiggly plugs?? Good or bad?