fishhappy

Parrots

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

they were in ruff shape when I got them, they actually look better now lol

That's awesome.  My mom had such a hard time keeping macaws occupied.  

She ended up giving them to a guy that had huge part of his house dedicated to birds.  

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

That's awesome.  My mom had such a hard time keeping macaws occupied.  

She ended up giving them to a guy that had huge part of his house dedicated to birds.  

seriously thinking of donateing/loaning/giving them to a place called bee city in cottageville,  they have a pretty cool little zoo.

I actually am not a huge fan of caged birds, just seems wrong, like being in jail, but they have been in cages their whole life so they dont know anybetter

8 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Only birds I ever enjoyed having were chickens. 

Used to raise them, too.

But not for the dinner.

30 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

I actually am not a huge fan of caged birds, just seems wrong, like being in jail, but they have been in cages their whole life so they dont know anybetter

I agree with that, the smaller ones seem to get along ok, but the larger ones don't. Its cruel, but, the one we got was a person's bird for 30 years until he and his wife died and the bird went to the shelter.  I couldn't see grabbing one from the wild and making it a pet. 

2 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Speaking of birds

I used to have pigeons.

High-flyers.

Nice outside aviary

I missed that time.

Serbian Highflyer (2).jpg

My uncle had those when he was a kid in the early 50's. Later in life a cockatoo flew into his garage in the 80s and he kept it as a pet until the bird in about 2008. 

3 hours ago, ErikT said:

Asa kid my family had an alexandrine ring neck parakeet. It was a nice size bird somehwere in between a parrot and a parakeet. Loved to speak and was a really great part of the family. He used to walk around the living room with the dogs and hang out.  Loved my Dad... We'd be hanging out in the living room watching sports and he would walk in from the kitchen and climb dads leg all the way up to his shoulder to watch some Mets with us LOL    If you approached him inside his cage forget it he would slaughter you LOL. Outside the cage if you approached with one hand, he bites.  If I then approached with two hands with my pointers out, he would get so intimidated and step right onto my finger LOL weirdo... 

His name was Spanky.  I don't think I could have another bird because that one was the best. 

Peace

This is pretty much what he looked like but Spanky's rings weren't as pronounced. We cut his nails and clipped his feathers at home. 

ring_neck.JPG

The good thing with the small parrots is that you can survive the bite and they can fly around the house a little to get exercise. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, ErikT said:

This is pretty much what he looked like but Spanky's rings weren't as pronounced. We cut his nails and clipped his feathers at home. 

ring_neck.JPG

That looks like a Fisher lovebird

They could be a lots of fun but they need a lots of space.

They don't like cage, aviary is necessarily for them.

Edited by Popasilov

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Speaking of birds

I used to have pigeons.

High-flyers.

Nice outside aviary

I missed that time.

Serbian Highflyer (2).jpg

I would like pigeons. 

I'd like to have a flock that flew around, then came home at night.  

Parrots are all freakishly neurotic and they make their owners neurotic too.  The mind of a finch is going a hundred miles an hour so humans cannot relate to them.  Chickens are idiots.  Ducks are where it's at.

-steve

Edited by oc1

1 hour ago, oc1 said:

Parrots are all freakishly neurotic and they make their owners neurotic too.  The mind of a finch is going a hundred miles an hour so humans cannot relate to them.  Chickens are idiots.  Ducks are where it's at.

-steve

Chickens are food that walks around.

6 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Listed as Monk here.  They're feral and have colonies along the shoreline.  

Mom had an African Grey at one point.   Don't know why she got rid of it.  I remember it being very smart.  

I can remember hearing our cockatoo from over a mile away.   Mom ended up getting rid of it because of the noise.  

@redfishkiller your macaws look bored & stressed.  

If you ever get a picture of a colony could you post it? What do they do during the winter?

They build these huge nests on the poles and anywhere else.  

Utility companies are always fighting them.  

I saw a huge colony last year in Bridgeport along the tracks. I was going down there daily for bus training.  

They've been here for so long they thrive pretty well.   No idea how they survive the winter. 

This is off google.

download.jpeg

Edited by PSegnatelli