fishhappy

Parrots

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

My Parrot Story:

Many years ago I had a friend who had 2 parrots - just nasty, dirty animals. I didn't like these birds, particularly the grey one, and was not shy about saying so,  and everyone knew I didn't like them.

My friend took a year long trip and asked if I'd stay in the apartment while she was gone, but......the birds were staying, and I had to take care of them. I agreed as it was a nice apartment in a rent controlled building in NYC on the 8th floor. 

So the year passed, and one week before my friends return I was sitting on the couch on a hot summer day with the windows open (no screens - 8th floor). Sometimes the birds were uncaged and would wander around. The gray one came into the living room, I threw a pillow at it and it flew started to fly, something it never did, across the room towards the open window, and landed on the outside window sill. I just sat there quietly, put on some parrot noise cassette she had (early 90's) trying to lure it back in - I turned around and it was gone - damn. I went to the window and looked down, hoping I wouldn't see it splattered on the sidewalk 100' below - it wasn't.

A week later my friend returns, I confess my pet sins, she plasters the neighborhood with signs and a few days later gets a call from woman - the bird is on a perch outside her 3th fl window. My friend goes over, can't get it, there is a firehouse next door, she talks the fireman into putting a ladder up and getting it for her - safe and sound.

My find never asked me to pet sit again.

38 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

6 lol, my wife was an animal lover a couple are rescues, and a couple came from her mother who couldn't take care of them anymore,  christine passed away a little over a year ago and now they're mine, I personally would never have a bird but she loved these things, so now they are mine , they're pretty cool but a colossal pain in the ass , 3 of them have been together for 30 years since they were babies and i dont want to separate them,  so I'll keep them., I have 3 dogs to lol

16105427342913268416079257774744.jpg

16105427694947448172195949167619.jpg

16105427944314974772969312511544.jpg

16105428484975542644029996859511.jpg

I get three dogs. They are not height maintenance. Six parrots looks like a full time job. I’m drawing the line at one. I hope.

1 min ago, fishhappy said:

I get three dogs. They are not height maintenance. Six parrots looks like a full time job. I’m drawing the line at one. I hope.

they are a lot of work,  their cool though if you spend a lot of time with them 

13 hours ago, fishhappy said:

The one we have is small. I think we can handle him. He is also 30, and his lifespan is 35 years.

Red is puny too. And with his disposition, how he made it past 30 is beyond me

2 hours ago, fishhappy said:

Are they African Greg’s or Quaker parrots. The quakers are banned in many states.

Listed as Monk here.  They're feral and have colonies along the shoreline.  

Mom had an African Grey at one point.   Don't know why she got rid of it.  I remember it being very smart.  

2 hours ago, fishhappy said:

How can you keep sane? I’ve heard the noise from Macaws and cockatoos, it isdeafening.

I can remember hearing our cockatoo from over a mile away.   Mom ended up getting rid of it because of the noise.  

@redfishkiller your macaws look bored & stressed.  

Asa kid my family had an alexandrine ring neck parakeet. It was a nice size bird somehwere in between a parrot and a parakeet. Loved to speak and was a really great part of the family. He used to walk around the living room with the dogs and hang out.  Loved my Dad... We'd be hanging out in the living room watching sports and he would walk in from the kitchen and climb dads leg all the way up to his shoulder to watch some Mets with us LOL    If you approached him inside his cage forget it he would slaughter you LOL. Outside the cage if you approached with one hand, he bites.  If I then approached with two hands with my pointers out, he would get so intimidated and step right onto my finger LOL weirdo... 

His name was Spanky.  I don't think I could have another bird because that one was the best. 

Peace

This is pretty much what he looked like but Spanky's rings weren't as pronounced. We cut his nails and clipped his feathers at home. 

ring_neck.JPG

Edited by ErikT

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

6 lol, my wife was an animal lover a couple are rescues, and a couple came from her mother who couldn't take care of them anymore,  christine passed away a little over a year ago and now they're mine, I personally would never have a bird but she loved these things, so now they are mine , they're pretty cool but a colossal pain in the ass , 3 of them have been together for 30 years since they were babies and i dont want to separate them,  so I'll keep them., I have 3 dogs to lol

16105427342913268416079257774744.jpg

16105427694947448172195949167619.jpg

16105427944314974772969312511544.jpg

16105428484975542644029996859511.jpg

Wow.... I give you credit to put up with so many birds! Galah might be the calmest of all the ones you have lol...

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Listed as Monk here.  They're feral and have colonies along the shoreline.  

Mom had an African Grey at one point.   Don't know why she got rid of it.  I remember it being very smart.  

I can remember hearing our cockatoo from over a mile away.   Mom ended up getting rid of it because of the noise.  

@redfishkiller your macaws look bored & stressed.  

they were in ruff shape when I got them, they actually look better now lol