fishhappy

Parrots

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, fishhappy said:

We work at a bird shelter for parrots, we were told never to yell at bird, and not to touch any bird we don’t want to be bitten by, since every bird bites sometime, some always. If you are bit, don’t fight, don’t react. Learn your lesson, there is no such thing as physically disciplining a parrot. For one, they won’t get it, they’ll just assume it’s a fight.

Thank you for explaining it clearer. I had volunteer at one before and somehow I tamed a cockatoo. He was sitting on my shoulder eating some egg while others afraid he was going to take my life.

26 mins ago, foxfai said:

Thank you for explaining it clearer. I had volunteer at one before and somehow I tamed a cockatoo. He was sitting on my shoulder eating some egg while others afraid he was going to take my life.

I’d like to know how to teach the Senegal Mr. Peepers to poop in a bucket or on papers.

4 Macaws and two normal size, they're all mean as hell , except the cockatoo but she bites my girlfriend,  

one of the macaws wants me dead, but loved my wife, they're moody little dick heads

40 mins ago, fishhappy said:

I’d like to know how to teach the Senegal Mr. Peepers to poop in a bucket or on papers.

Took me quite a bit to show my conure that pooping on something is not good and he always goes to the edge to do it. 

They had a 'move' you have to watch for and when it happens you direct them to the right place to poop and give him the cheer and treat. Took me a year before he knows that is where he can poop. Ever since when he perch on his playpen, I'd lay papers around it and he will poop outside of it. Never had to clean the playpen lol.

They are intelligent animals. Wither if they listen to you is another story.

Edited by foxfai

8 hours ago, cheech said:

The ability of African grays to mimic is mind boggling, and defies all logic.
   Hard to believe, but there are wild, invasive Quaker Parrots (aka Monk Parakeet) in all 5 NYC boroughs. I’ve witnessed the huge flocks around Orchard beach, Bronx, NYC.

We have them in CT too.   

Legal to hunt (no season/limit,) if u can find a spot that has the birds *AND is legal to hunt in.   I thought about trying to decoy them in while I waterfowl hunted. Would most likely taste alot better then the merganser I shot. 

*Have the same issue with other invasive birds that are legal to hunt, but mainly live in urban areas.  Pigeons, starlings & English sparrows come to mind.     

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

We have them in CT too.   

Legal to hunt (no season/limit,) if u can find a spot that has the birds *AND is legal to hunt in.   I thought about trying to decoy them in while I waterfowl hunted. Would most likely taste alot better then the merganser I shot. 

*Have the same issue with other invasive birds that are legal to hunt, but mainly live in urban areas.  Pigeons, starlings & English sparrows come to mind.     

Are they African Greg’s or Quaker parrots. The quakers are banned in many states.

7 hours ago, foxfai said:

Took me quite a bit to show my conure that pooping on something is not good and he always goes to the edge to do it. 

They had a 'move' you have to watch for and when it happens you direct them to the right place to poop and give him the cheer and treat. Took me a year before he knows that is where he can poop. Ever since when he perch on his playpen, I'd lay papers around it and he will poop outside of it. Never had to clean the playpen lol.

They are intelligent animals. Wither if they listen to you is another story.

I need to learn more about this. Thanks.

8 hours ago, redfishkiller said:

4 Macaws and two normal size, they're all mean as hell , except the cockatoo but she bites my girlfriend,  

one of the macaws wants me dead, but loved my wife, they're moody little dick heads

How can you keep sane? I’ve heard the noise from Macaws and cockatoos, it isdeafening.

Just now, fishhappy said:

How can you keep sane? I’ve heard the noise from Macaws and cockatoos, it isdeafening.

they are all on an enclosed porch , but they are loud as hell  lol, they cost more to feed than me!

29 mins ago, fishhappy said:

How did you get yourself into 4 birds?

6 lol, my wife was an animal lover a couple are rescues, and a couple came from her mother who couldn't take care of them anymore,  christine passed away a little over a year ago and now they're mine, I personally would never have a bird but she loved these things, so now they are mine , they're pretty cool but a colossal pain in the ass , 3 of them have been together for 30 years since they were babies and i dont want to separate them,  so I'll keep them., I have 3 dogs to lol

16105427342913268416079257774744.jpg

16105427694947448172195949167619.jpg

16105427944314974772969312511544.jpg

16105428484975542644029996859511.jpg

15 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

How have they been??

My mother bought a baby yellow naped amazon when I was about 3 or 4.   That bird has hated me as long as I can remember.    I've shed more blood and tears than any child should from a 2k dollar chicken. 

Mom still has that Fing bird, I'm 41 and that bird is still a dick.  

One of many birds I've hated throughout my life

Hahaha...Thanks for that.  Good laugh to start the day.