fishhappy

Parrots

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Still got another few decades I believe. 

That was a factor too, my daughter would grow up, leave, and dad has a parrot. The cockatoo was 26 and could make it to 65.

Just not for me.   Terrorized the hell out of me growin up.  

I had to take care of them for my chores.   Between the dogs cats reptiles & birds. I really wasn't into havin a pet when I moved out. 

The ability of African grays to mimic is mind boggling, and defies all logic.
   Hard to believe, but there are wild, invasive Quaker Parrots (aka Monk Parakeet) in all 5 NYC boroughs. I’ve witnessed the huge flocks around Orchard beach, Bronx, NYC.

3 hours ago, fishhappy said:

How many of you own parrots? My daughter just got a 30 year old Senegal, Mr Peepers, he is a joy, except for the pooping. She was going to get a cockatoo but it bit me so hard there was blood gushing like a horror movie and it’s a month later and I still have a hole in my index finger. The bird laughed afterward, haha ha ha ha. Besides the bite, I really like the cockatoo, he would open his cage and say “smart bird.”

How have your pet parrot experiences been?

All bird(big or small) need to be trained from the beginning and properly. Once they are 'threaten', they will start to get defensive and bite, even the owner. They remembers that one time that you yell or hit them because they did something wrong, it will be hard to turn back because they will always remember that and suddenly bite you. 

I've own different conure and parrots all my life they all act the same. With my kid in the house now, the bird is afraid of the kid. Not because my kid ever touches or scream at the bird, it's only that my kids runs around and dances 'threaten' the bird. That's why it gets defensive.

Pooping can also be train too, but that's another story.

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

How have they been??

My mother bought a baby yellow naped amazon when I was about 3 or 4.   That bird has hated me as long as I can remember.    I've shed more blood and tears than any child should from a 2k dollar chicken. 

Mom still has that Fing bird, I'm 41 and that bird is still a dick.  

One of many birds I've hated throughout my life

LOL

as a 3 or 4 year old kid you must did something to that bird

You wanted to play, bird didn't and that's how it started.

They remember everything.

I think it was just jealous of me.  

But that thing would bait me in.  Act all nice. Bite the chit outta me. Then cackle and scream **** U!

That bird has quite a mouth.   

Mom was a Marine.  Live in aunt was a career stripper. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Just not for me.   Terrorized the hell out of me growin up.  

I had to take care of them for my chores.   Between the dogs cats reptiles & birds. I really wasn't into havin a pet when I moved out. 

Without my daughter’s input, it probably be just us and the dog.

16 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I think it was just jealous of me.  

But that thing would bait me in.  Act all nice. Bite the chit outta me. Then cackle and scream **** U!

That bird has quite a mouth.   

Mom was a Marine.  Live in aunt was a career stripper. 

I’ve seen it, some birds just want one person, and anybody else is a target of their jealousy.

one cockatoo loves my daughter, dances around for her, talks, cuddles, and if come by, she climbs down from the cage and attacks my feet.

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

All bird(big or small) need to be trained from the beginning and properly. Once they are 'threaten', they will start to get defensive and bite, even the owner. They remembers that one time that you yell or hit them because they did something wrong, it will be hard to turn back because they will always remember that and suddenly bite you. 

I've own different conure and parrots all my life they all act the same. With my kid in the house now, the bird is afraid of the kid. Not because my kid ever touches or scream at the bird, it's only that my kids runs around and dances 'threaten' the bird. That's why it gets defensive.

Pooping can also be train too, but that's another story.

We work at a bird shelter for parrots, we were told never to yell at bird, and not to touch any bird we don’t want to be bitten by, since every bird bites sometime, some always. If you are bit, don’t fight, don’t react. Learn your lesson, there is no such thing as physically disciplining a parrot. For one, they won’t get it, they’ll just assume it’s a fight.

1 hour ago, cheech said:

The ability of African grays to mimic is mind boggling, and defies all logic.
   Hard to believe, but there are wild, invasive Quaker Parrots (aka Monk Parakeet) in all 5 NYC boroughs. I’ve witnessed the huge flocks around Orchard beach, Bronx, NYC.

There was an African Grey at the shelter, he was gone in two weeks, most birds are there for six months or more. 
I walked up to his cage and he said

”you’re a ******.” He then said “you’re a prick” And then, f’me, f’’me, f’me. Try not to laugh when a parrot does that. So I laugh, and he laughs, and says “I’m a pretty bird.”

Then he lets out “byyyitch”

When word got out, all the men volunteers were asking for him. He went to a Polish couple, the wife and mother in law don’t speak English.

Baby sitting for 3 weeks.  She's moody.

Stick my finger in the cage when she wants out, and she'll sit on my shoulder for 4 hours.

Stick my finger in the cage when she wants to be left the **** alone, and she'll take hand.

The collar is mandatory or she'll go all Mike Tyson my ear.

Never know what I'm coming home to.  It's a lot like being married.

20210105_203934.jpg.c6ab28ecddbe4fc5f050dc97f786d0a9.jpg

1 min ago, JoeyZac said:

Baby sitting for 3 weeks.  She's moody.

Stick my finger in the cage when she wants out, and she'll sit on my shoulder for 4 hours.

Stick my finger in the cage when she wants to be left the **** alone, and she'll take hand.

The collar is mandatory or she'll go all Mike Tyson my ear.

Never know what I'm coming home to.  It's a lot like being married.

20210105_203934.jpg.c6ab28ecddbe4fc5f050dc97f786d0a9.jpg

Will she get 1/2 when she leaves?