RAW

Pencil Popper colors for Ma. to Maine recommendations.

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, RAW said:

9' 10-30 lb. 1-3 ounce lure rating. Power Pro VS 30lb

Perfect.  

Grab a Rebel Jumpin' minnow in bone too.  Small, but very effective.  Should be okay with that setup.

5 hours ago, RAW said:

What or how do you load the plug? All rocks are well below surface. 

depends on the plug....  here's HPD's old write up on Tsunami Talking poppers & Cotton Cordells I usually load the 6" to around 2 1/2 oz or so.

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215725/Lures for adventure surf fishing

Edited by gman1253

1 hour ago, FoliFish said:

Perfect.  

Grab a Rebel Jumpin' minnow in bone too.  Small, but very effective.  Should be okay with that setup.

I was just going to recommend that plug. Truthfully,  I’ve caught more on a Rebel Jumpin minnow than any popper or pencils. Very, very effective plug and at times all that a bass will hit. Switch out the hooks and split rings though as stock hooks are not good for striper fishing. Good luck

14 hours ago, Turkeybacn said:

Most of the spots I fish are boulder fields and the thing I love about the Cordells is they're so cheap It doesn't bother me too much if I break one. I only broke one last year and that was because my bail snapped close on the cast and I launched it into a rock haha

I haven't loaded them before but I plan on loading a few this off season. What's your go to for loading? Bbs? Water? What weight do you usually aim for?

Those loaded cordells cast like a bullet and sink like a stone. Likely not the best choice for skinny structure but a killer in the right situation. The nice thing is you can also fish them subsurface like a needle or even jig them along the bottom. I recommend adding a dressed siwash to the rear.

Edited by Sandbar1

9 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Those loaded cordells cast like a bullet and sink like a stone. Likely not the best choice for skinny structure but a killer in the right situation. The nice thing is you can also fish them subsurface like a needle or even jig them along the bottom. I recommend adding a dressed siwash to the rear.

Sweet, I'll have to give that a try.