RAW

Pencil Popper colors for Ma. to Maine recommendations.

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Most pencils are mostly white on the bottom and colored on the top anyway. Fish cant see the colors on half these damn things. Pick your poison, i like white or yellow

The cotton cordells are nice i just hate how light they are. I used the dark matter pencils this year and liked them alot, or gibbs. Various sizes for different scenarios. Its not a pencil but you can never go wrong with a super strike little neck either 

Edited by Mlima5

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I really like a loaded Cordell, one of my favorites.  But the OP said he will be throwing over boulders so they will crack if he hits a rock in the dark.

I recommend wood in his situation. 

Most of the spots I fish are boulder fields and the thing I love about the Cordells is they're so cheap It doesn't bother me too much if I break one. I only broke one last year and that was because my bail snapped close on the cast and I launched it into a rock haha

I haven't loaded them before but I plan on loading a few this off season. What's your go to for loading? Bbs? Water? What weight do you usually aim for?

Edited by Turkeybacn

Tsunami Talkin Popper in the 6" version, I add 6ccs of water as well. As far as color goes the fish only see the bottom so I look to have white and yellow mainly nothing fancy mostly about getting the right cadence and action.

14 mins ago, Turkeybacn said:

Most of the spots I fish are boulder fields and the thing I love about the Cordells is they're so cheap It doesn't bother me too much if I break one. I only broke one last year and that was because my bail snapped close on the cast and I launched it into a rock haha

I haven't loaded them before but I plan on loading a few this off season. What's your go to for loading? Bbs? Water? What weight do you usually aim for?

I use bb,s just because I have so many from when my son was little. 

I load the small one to around 2 1/2 ounces

Guppy 2-3/8oz flat or round bottom (I prefer the flat even for still water).  White or yellow.  Super versatile little pencil.

Try to get your hands on a 2-3oz wood spook too if you can (Big Fish Bait co, 24/7, etc).  

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I really like a loaded Cordell, one of my favorites.  But the OP said he will be throwing over boulders so they will crack if he hits a rock in the dark.

I recommend wood in his situation. 

What or how do you load the plug? All rocks are well below surface. 

1 hour ago, FoliFish said:

Guppy 2-3/8oz flat or round bottom (I prefer the flat even for still water).  White or yellow.  Super versatile little pencil.

Try to get your hands on a 2-3oz wood spook too if you can (Big Fish Bait co, 24/7, etc).  

You brought up another question, is wood preferable to plastic?

1 hour ago, RAW said:

You brought up another question, is wood preferable to plastic?

Personal preference.  Plastic is far more cost effective and certainly gets the job done and proven over decades.    

I prefer the versatility of wood pencils (depending on manufacturer/size/weight placement).  Some trips the fish like a lot of splashing and commotion and sometimes they wants something a little more subtle.  A lot of floating wood pencils can be worked like a spook/"walk the dog", or like a thrashing traditional pencil.

Edited by FoliFish

14 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Especially when it comes to top water, color is to catch fisherman not fish. I second the cotton cordell for pencils. Little necks are good too because you can work em like a normal popper as well.

Great choice, though little neck poppers are in a category other than pencil poppers. They’re modified from the Gibbs Polaris Popper, which gained a healthy following of surfcasters due to its long-range castability. Popping in the traditional way is great for bluefish and schoolie bass, while many larger bass prefer it “sloshed”. They will also “swim” in a manner similar to that of a metal lip plug when the reel is cranked slowly. 
    Pencils are built differently, without that cupped face, and also can be worked in different ways. The traditional “Long Island Style “, as I learned it, consisted of holding the rod butt between your legs, gripping the rod higher than usual and shaking the rod tip back and forth vigorously with the rod hand while reeling just fast enough to keep contact with the plug and move it slowly. The idea was to thrash the lure as long as possible over the fish, in order to entice it to hit. This is a tiring yet deadly method. 

Nowadays I see more people using the lure like a spook, another deadly tactic, which is done by giving the plug a quick yank and then immediately bouncing the tip toward the lure ,to give it the slack it needs to zig or zag, and repeating with a somewhat steady cadence.

A third way that I like to work it is to let the plug splash down and give a 1-3’ slosh to the side, reel back up the slack while returning the rod tip to the forward position and repeat the slosh and return. If the plug goes beneath the surface just continue as usual. It’ll still catch just fine. 
    This lure is so versatile, you can also jig it (heavily loaded with shot in the Canal or a Breachway), crawl it like a long-casting needlefish, or whatever your mind can hatch.

As with all lures, you will catch more when you ignore the “right” ways to do things and experiment with every possible way to work a lure until the fish let you know what works by inhaling your lure. As a matter of fact, that advice works for many situations in life.

14 hours ago, mattjet said:

Gibbs white and yellow. End of story

2nd this.

For Superstrike Little Neck Poppers I have bone and yellow.

For Gibbs poppers I have white/red head and Yellow/red head.

I do carry a green mac colored popper for the canal when macs are in thick. However, I've never had to use it because bone worked well.

4 hours ago, Turkeybacn said:

6 inch cotton cordell, load with birdshot to 1.4oz`s. Also 6 inch tsunami talkin poppers, the xd version. Dressed 5/0 siwash on the rear hanger and change hardware on both.

23 hours ago, RAW said:

Never did a lot of spinning rod top water in Southern Me. but will from now on. Most my fishing is over rocks and outflows. Dusk and dawn. this past year top water out fished soft baits and I want to do more. Need fine tuning. recommendations length, colors, weights .thanks

What rod will you be using?  Length and lure rating