Pencil Popper colors for Ma. to Maine recommendations.

Rate this topic

RAW

Never did a lot of spinning rod top water in Southern Me. but will from now on. Most my fishing is over rocks and outflows. Dusk and dawn. this past year top water out fished soft baits and I want to do more. Need fine tuning. recommendations length, colors, weights .thanks

Cotton cordell pencils bone and white/redhead. Early season I use the smaller 4.5" then move on to 6 and 7. Work well and inexpensive. 

Also superstrike little neck poppers. I like the sinking. When you pause on the retrieve the sink subtly which looks like a dying bait fish. These also cast better than the cc's which helps with rougher weather. I like these in yellow/red head.  More expensive but still not bad price wise. 

Also for topwater I like heddon spooks both Jr and full size. Also in bone and white/red head. 

Swap the hooks for quality vmc's and upgrade split rings. Also if your mainly c&r I like treble in the front single dressed in the rear. 

Edited by Italianbuca

Also, thing to be consider is

You may need a different rod and/or reel for pencil poppers

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Pencils are all about the action and presentation, not the color. The fish only see the belly of the bait and even then they are more keyed in on the commotion of what they perceive to be a fleeing baitfish. White will cover you 90% of the time, maybe a yellow or chartreus for specific situations. Everything else is to catch the fisherman not the fish.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

I've had good luck with the smaller Atom Striper Swiper in white. 

The Yozuri hydro pencil in bone has worked for me as well. 

I picked up a few SS pencils in yellow/white and blue/white at the end of last season. I think I've been under utilizing pencils for where I fish, going to start using them more often this season. 

Edited by johnysmoke

58 mins ago, johnysmoke said:

I've had good luck with the smaller Atom Striper Swiper in white. 

The Yozuri hydro pencil in bone has worked for me as well. 

I picked up a few SS pencils in yellow/white and blue/white at the end of last season. I think I've been under utilizing pencils for where I fish, going to start using them more often this season. 

A Pencil is almost always the first plug I throw. I use them to search around and locate fish. Even if they don't take the lure they'll typically swipe/swirl on them. 

Start with two. All white & yellow/red head. 2oz is a safe bet. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

I use white 90% of the time. Whether it be various forms of pencils, magic swimmer, bucktails, SS Zig Zag, Northbar bottle darter...all white. At night black. My go to plug is the 6" 2.5oz 24/7 Mully in white of course...

Weight is going to be dependant on wind direction, water depth, rod rating. Tough to really give specific weights.