JAL

BPS Ocean Master rods

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Is BPS still making the 12' Heavy Ocean Masters, or have they been changed or discontinued? I haven't looked at Heavers in yeaarrsss... I have a couple of the original Ocean Masters, despite being a tad heavy, they get the job done and were a very good value for the price. I want to add a couple more casting rods to the spread without putting crazy money into a bait rod that sits in a surf spike soaking cut bait. I don't think a $500+ rod and reel combo soaks bait any better than my original Ocean Master/ SLOSH 30 combos.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes they are and I agree with you that they are great rods. 170$ which is the best for the money IMHO. It has a so called 'double helix' configuration that gives it great strength. I'm looking to get another rod myself. I have my eyes on a custom CTS 13ft from Red Drum Tackle,NC which also has a double helix configuration but it's north of 500$.  Is it the same technology? I don't know yet. Would love to hear from anyone who has a CTS before I spend a pretty penny. But I love the Ocean Master. Total confidence in casting 12nbait with ease. But if I have to cast anything heavier, I'd rather go home. . I love my Saltiga Ballistic 40 and Lamiglass XS 12 MHC both rated to 16oz, but you can't go wrong with a 12ft Ocean Master for the money. 

Edited by pilotman

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 1305 its a very nice rod. Will throw 8 and a smaller chunk a long way. Will also throw down to 5 oz nicely. Very light in hand and has fairly light tip .. iv pendulum cast the rod on the field for fun and its definitely capable of very good distance. What its not is a brick thrower. 9 or 10 you probably aren't laying into with this rod. Overall it's a easy to cast rod. The 1306 would be better if you are always throwing 8 and up I believe 

Edited by Jim McFeeley

Yes, I have the 12ft casting, it’s beefy for sure. Good components on it. 6-12oz. The one under it, the breakwater is 4-10oz, both good rods but the ocean master is much stiffer.