Reel Fly 18

Northport power plant?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I haven't fished the plant in over a decade. Last time I fished there I would park at the end of the road in front of Crabmeadow Beach and make the hike along the beach to the power plant. Some years seemed to be better than others because of how quickly cold weather came on and how the bars were shaped. Is fishing there still doable? 

Thanks 

10 hours ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

I haven't fished the plant in over a decade. Last time I fished there I would park at the end of the road in front of Crabmeadow Beach and make the hike along the beach to the power plant. Some years seemed to be better than others because of how quickly cold weather came on and how the bars were shaped. Is fishing there still doable? 

Thanks 

Can not park there anymore without residential parking sticker.

And they start enforcing parking law on the beach parking, too.

Front is reserved for the restaurant guests only. If you are not in the restaurant and your car is parked there, be prepared to pick it up from towing lot in Huntington station.

Same thing on the back parking for beach.

They had police car patrolling that lot parking lot almost every 30 minutes.

Hefty parking ticket for the cars without residential beach permit.

9 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Can not park there anymore without residential parking sticker.

And they start enforcing parking law on the beach parking, too.

Front is reserved for the restaurant guests only. If you are not in the restaurant and your car is parked there, be prepared to pick it up from towing lot in Huntington station.

Same thing on the back parking for beach.

They had police car patrolling that lot parking lot almost every 30 minutes.

Hefty parking ticket for the cars without residential beach permit.

Thanks for the update. NY the land of NO keeps getting worse. 

Stay well 

I used to park in the residential area between the park and the construction yard. For several years we used a driveway of a summer home and accessed the beach via there staircase down to the beach. Before the Oyster Farm burned we'd fake employment at the main gate and park right inside the plant. That was the best fishing right off the top of the discharge pipes inside the main flow. 75 mile drive each way, what fishing, I even caught Stripers at night on Poppers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, XBMX said:

off the top of the discharge pipes inside the main flow.

If I remember correctly, few members lost closed friend there, back in 80's

Edited by Popasilov

Before 9/11 people would access the lagoon, post it became a fortress. A few years after the plant changed fuels and didn’t produce the same amount of  warm water discharge. Was a fun place at its height. There is no legal parking there anymore. I think the TOH issues 10 permits. 

Edited by Rip-Line

That part of the Sound has a over 7ft tide. During very cold winters when all four stacks were making power the amount of water being pumped combined with the tide as massive. As I understood it the life loss was a result of stepping off the outer bar and being caught by the current. It was a very very product place and just as dangerous. 

10 hours ago, Rip-Line said:

That bar would always change and was soft if you ventured to close to flow.

That's how I remember it. Ive heard of two people slipping off it and taken away by the current at the same time. One tried to reach out to first swept off and was pulled in as the sand washed out from under his feet. One died and the other was almost dead when picked up by a lobster boat with a ridiculously low body temp. I've fished that powerplant every winter from 1983 until 2004 when I got my boat. Collectively over 200 times and almost always at night. I'm well aware of the inherent dangers. More than the changes of tide and topography, it's the changes of access and enforcement that are hard to navigate. In 1983 I would walk through the plant like I owned it and fish from the tip of LILCOs jetty or even in the basin inside the plant from atop any of the individual outfloes. Access gradually tightened over the years but you just got kicked out. It was after 9-11 we became criminals if caught on plant property. Access to Crabmeadow Beach has always been temperamental but increasingly difficult. Hence my post here. I have caught thousands of bass there and have a few good stories about the place.

Btw anybody the fishes precarious places with high current and shifting bars without first scouting it in the day at the end of the ebb is an idiot. 

31 mins ago, Popasilov said:

My encounter with that jetty, two years ago

Black Eye01.jpg

Kudos for braving federal prosecution to get on it. Unless you are an employee of course. I personally haven't snuck on to the property since '03. Wasn't worth the consequences. 

9 mins ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

Kudos for braving federal prosecution to get on it.

Didn't know about that, at that time.

I just swam over-there from the opposite jetty with rod and reel

i thought it would be a nice spot.

And it was a nice action on snappers and schoolies

Until I felt down. Lucky me, i was able to swim back, with broken glasses and bloody arm and bloody eye.

My wife cleaned me up, wanted to take me to emergency but no way, fish were biting.

So I grab rod and went back to the water.

But not back to the jetty.

Edited by Popasilov

1 min ago, Popasilov said:

Didn't know about that, at that time.

I just swam over-there from the opposite jetty with rod and reel

i thought it would be a nice spot.

And it was a nice action on snappers and schoolies

Until I felt down. Lucky me, i was able to swim back, with broken glasses and bloody arm eye.

My wife cleaned me up, wanted to take me to emergency but no way, fish were biting.

So I grab rod and went back to the water.

But not back to the jetty.

That's a dangerous swim! Even if the jetty was a sidewalk (which it's not). The best tides (historically) will carry you out quickly to the NW in a current that Michael Phelps couldn't get back to shore before hypothermia sets in. 

In lieu of my casual posts this is not a place to take casually. You need to be seasoned and smart and even at that it's dicey. Then there's the legal BS on top of the that. Which frankly pales in comparison to dying is to catch 20" stripers. You have to be real cautious. I've seen too many people in over their heads, literally. 

Consider yourself lucky to be alive. The two guys I mentioned earlier weren't the only two the outflow has taken. I was almost one myself. In broad daylight when I least expected. 

1 hour ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

That's a dangerous swim! Even if the jetty was a sidewalk (which it's not). The best tides (historically) will carry you out quickly to the NW in a current that Michael Phelps couldn't get back to shore before hypothermia sets in. 

Not defending my stupidity.

It was September, very calm low tide;no waves, water at the end of the 1st jetty was 3 feet at most, just around my waist. I was walking inside the water, playing with small rod and reel.

And as always, fishing looks much better on the other side, so I decided to "quickly" go/swim to the other jetty. It was "only few feet away"

I know,  it was stupid move and I know I was lucky.

I am sure, more than few of us here, have some stories like that , to tell.

Edited by Popasilov