El Zorro

Holy Boat (corrosion)

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

First of all I'm on a retirement income. I have a 21' bay runner with salt water corrosion through out the bottom of the haul. There are many small holes that need to be repaired. I know the right way is to have them welded be would be very expensive. I know they have spray on liners and roll on membranes that can be applied like they do on John Boats. I am hoping that one of you guys have a suggestion or method I could use to mix my boat. At my age I don't go very far out in the ocean, but I sure like to catch my rock fish for fish tacos. Please help, Thanks  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not knowing the boat hull you have, etc. A good 'band-aid' approach short of welding... get the boat off the trailer, and roll it over to expose the bottom surface. Sand it down exposing all the pin holes. If they are truly "pin holes', JB Weld (2 part epoxy) can be used to fill the holes... once cured sand smooth. Or there are marine repair epoxies... do the same.

 

If you can access the interior below the floor, clean then seal with something like Gluvit epoxy marine sealer... if you can't access the inside, then use the Gluvit on the bottom once you fill and sand the pin holes. You should top coat it once your done fixing the holes and sealing it.

 

If they are larger than pin holes, you'll really need to patch and weld, or you'll end up having continued problems.

Edited by JAL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

The idea of a coating or fillers is to use a flexible epoxy or coating. If it’s a ton of pin holes I would use a coating. If it’s a bunch of gouges that corroded through then use a filler. There is also a welding rod available that is used to fix aluminum that can be melted with a propane torch. I have seen it on line but never used it. 
 

More importantly.....the corrosion may be happening because of an electric or galvanic problem. If your trailer has carpeted bunks and the corrosion is only where it sits on the bunks, get plastic bunks........aluminum doesn’t like to be on treated wood bunks. 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, El Zorro said:

thank you brother, I do have treated wooden carpeted bunks

Is the aluminum painted or bare where it contacts the bunk carpet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 11:00 PM, aae0130 said:

The idea of a coating or fillers is to use a flexible epoxy or coating. If it’s a ton of pin holes I would use a coating. If it’s a bunch of gouges that corroded through then use a filler. There is also a welding rod available that is used to fix aluminum that can be melted with a propane torch. I have seen it on line but never used it. 
 

More importantly.....the corrosion may be happening because of an electric or galvanic problem. If your trailer has carpeted bunks and the corrosion is only where it sits on the bunks, get plastic bunks........aluminum doesn’t like to be on treated wood bunks. 

BIL has used the propane torch rods and he gave me a :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moocks said:

PT wood contains copper. Copper + Aluminum + Saltwater = Disaster. Replace those bunks while your ahead.

Glad I read this. I just put new bunks of my trailer for my 14’ tinny and I used PT. Sounds like that was a bad idea. I also have a few pin holes but not where the bunks are. My pin holes are in the transom. I was debating if I should just try an epoxy to fill them first or get it welded. Sounds like the JB is worth a shot and see how that does

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had the issue with a 13 foot bare bottomed aluminum. I kept the bunks but added the slippery plastic tracks on top of the bunks to get separation. Stopped it in its tracks. 
 

Before you fill the pin holes in the transom give the pin holes a good cleaning with baking soda and water. It neutralizes the acids........also....if it’s minor.....you could push some 5200 into it with a razor instead of epoxy. It’s flexible.....

 

 

Bought a new boat and trailer a few years ago.I had these installed from the get go....9F943952-EAAA-44DA-BA5F-3C41B739E243.jpeg.7ae3c235bc99ee11915971da1519b598.jpeg

 

 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, moocks said:

PT wood contains copper. Copper + Aluminum + Saltwater = Disaster. Replace those bunks while your ahead.

Makes a battery....

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aae0130 said:

I had the issue with a 13 foot bare bottomed aluminum. I kept the bunks but added the slippery plastic tracks on top of the bunks to get separation. Stopped it in its tracks. 
 

Before you fill the pin holes in the transom give the pin holes a good cleaning with baking soda and water. It neutralizes the acids........also....if it’s minor.....you could push some 5200 into it with a razor instead of epoxy. It’s flexible.....

 

 

Bought a new boat and trailer a few years ago.I had these installed from the get go....9F943952-EAAA-44DA-BA5F-3C41B739E243.jpeg.7ae3c235bc99ee11915971da1519b598.jpeg

 

 

Great info! Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the help, now just to get it done. Would any of you spray the bottom with a truck bed liner after patching the holes to further protect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.