Holy Boat (corrosion)

Rate this topic

El Zorro

First of all I'm on a retirement income. I have a 21' bay runner with salt water corrosion through out the bottom of the haul. There are many small holes that need to be repaired. I know the right way is to have them welded be would be very expensive. I know they have spray on liners and roll on membranes that can be applied like they do on John Boats. I am hoping that one of you guys have a suggestion or method I could use to mix my boat. At my age I don't go very far out in the ocean, but I sure like to catch my rock fish for fish tacos. Please help, Thanks  

Not knowing the boat hull you have, etc. A good 'band-aid' approach short of welding... get the boat off the trailer, and roll it over to expose the bottom surface. Sand it down exposing all the pin holes. If they are truly "pin holes', JB Weld (2 part epoxy) can be used to fill the holes... once cured sand smooth. Or there are marine repair epoxies... do the same.

If you can access the interior below the floor, clean then seal with something like Gluvit epoxy marine sealer... if you can't access the inside, then use the Gluvit on the bottom once you fill and sand the pin holes. You should top coat it once your done fixing the holes and sealing it.

If they are larger than pin holes, you'll really need to patch and weld, or you'll end up having continued problems.

Edited by JAL

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of a coating or fillers is to use a flexible epoxy or coating. If it’s a ton of pin holes I would use a coating. If it’s a bunch of gouges that corroded through then use a filler. There is also a welding rod available that is used to fix aluminum that can be melted with a propane torch. I have seen it on line but never used it. 

More importantly.....the corrosion may be happening because of an electric or galvanic problem. If your trailer has carpeted bunks and the corrosion is only where it sits on the bunks, get plastic bunks........aluminum doesn’t like to be on treated wood bunks. 

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

35 mins ago, El Zorro said:

thank you brother, I do have treated wooden carpeted bunks

Is the aluminum painted or bare where it contacts the bunk carpet? 

On 1/25/2021 at 11:00 PM, aae0130 said:

The idea of a coating or fillers is to use a flexible epoxy or coating. If it’s a ton of pin holes I would use a coating. If it’s a bunch of gouges that corroded through then use a filler. There is also a welding rod available that is used to fix aluminum that can be melted with a propane torch. I have seen it on line but never used it. 

More importantly.....the corrosion may be happening because of an electric or galvanic problem. If your trailer has carpeted bunks and the corrosion is only where it sits on the bunks, get plastic bunks........aluminum doesn’t like to be on treated wood bunks. 

BIL has used the propane torch rods and he gave me a :th:

11 hours ago, moocks said:

PT wood contains copper. Copper + Aluminum + Saltwater = Disaster. Replace those bunks while your ahead.

Glad I read this. I just put new bunks of my trailer for my 14’ tinny and I used PT. Sounds like that was a bad idea. I also have a few pin holes but not where the bunks are. My pin holes are in the transom. I was debating if I should just try an epoxy to fill them first or get it welded. Sounds like the JB is worth a shot and see how that does

I had the issue with a 13 foot bare bottomed aluminum. I kept the bunks but added the slippery plastic tracks on top of the bunks to get separation. Stopped it in its tracks. 

Before you fill the pin holes in the transom give the pin holes a good cleaning with baking soda and water. It neutralizes the acids........also....if it’s minor.....you could push some 5200 into it with a razor instead of epoxy. It’s flexible.....

Bought a new boat and trailer a few years ago.I had these installed from the get go....9F943952-EAAA-44DA-BA5F-3C41B739E243.jpeg.7ae3c235bc99ee11915971da1519b598.jpeg

Edited by aae0130

11 hours ago, moocks said:

PT wood contains copper. Copper + Aluminum + Saltwater = Disaster. Replace those bunks while your ahead.

Makes a battery....

Edited by aae0130

3 hours ago, aae0130 said:

I had the issue with a 13 foot bare bottomed aluminum. I kept the bunks but added the slippery plastic tracks on top of the bunks to get separation. Stopped it in its tracks. 

Before you fill the pin holes in the transom give the pin holes a good cleaning with baking soda and water. It neutralizes the acids........also....if it’s minor.....you could push some 5200 into it with a razor instead of epoxy. It’s flexible.....

Bought a new boat and trailer a few years ago.I had these installed from the get go....9F943952-EAAA-44DA-BA5F-3C41B739E243.jpeg.7ae3c235bc99ee11915971da1519b598.jpeg

Great info! Thank you