Wtrdog

Spinfisher V1 / Paraflex 10'6" pairing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've got a Star Paraflex Surf 10'6" (3/4-4) looking at the 6500 bailess Spinfisher.  No one locally has anything bigger than a 4000, I'm wondering if the 6500 would be too heavy since the rod is so light?  i'll be surf fishing plugs around NC looking for striper, blues, etc.  

Edited by Wtrdog

I own a few Penn 6500 reels and fish them when I need extra line capacity for fish that like to run and I wont  to get spooled... I would use that reel with that rod.... 

I’ve got a 4500 bailless on my Lami 10’ SS same weights - works well, and if I was throwing plugs ALL day, that’s what I would use.

however, your in NC, that 6500 would be better for double duty for bait. 

Edited by Jason B

I have that same rod and have tried it with a Spinfisher SSV6500. It works but felt it was too heavy. I pair mine with either a Slammer 5500 or VR150. I don’t fish bailess though...

I like light, I use a 4500 size reel on everything up to 11’. As mentioned, capacity is sometimes the deciding factor. It’s hard to find stores to see what feels better. If you don’t have the appropriate weighted reels, tape a 13 ounce can of beans to the reelseat, then try it with 23 ounces. Good luck

Thanks all for the input!  I have an old Okuma that is similar in weight to the 6500 and seemed really heavy and off balanced.  I ended up ordering the 4500 since I have a couple big rods for chunking heavier weight for drum.  Figure 20lb braid, 40-50lb mono leader, and good to go for Wrightsville, Neuse, OBX, and the occasional Chesapeake area sending lures and lighter rigs.

1 hour ago, Wtrdog said:

Great shop and of course I couldn't leave empty handed so end up with a few new things to try out.

Leaving empty handed from any B&T store is a sin.

I have a Tsunami Airwave Elite 10.5 (3/4 - 4 oz) paired with a Spinfisher V 5500 ... I wouldn't want the bigger 6500 on that rod, and it seems to be similar to your Paraflex. I have a Spinfisher VI 4500 paired with my 9 foot St Croix Triumph (1/2-2 1/2); seems this would be a bit small for my Tsunami rod

@Wtrdogglad you were able to get down out of the city.  Don’t know if that is your first trip to EZ but most folks won’t believe the amount of good stuff in that shop from judging the outside appearance - there is fishing stuff EVERYWHERE in that little place!  Good luck to you.  OH

On 1/12/2021 at 8:55 AM, Wtrdog said:

Thanks all for the input!  I have an old Okuma that is similar in weight to the 6500 and seemed really heavy and off balanced.  I ended up ordering the 4500 since I have a couple big rods for chunking heavier weight for drum.  Figure 20lb braid, 40-50lb mono leader, and good to go for Wrightsville, Neuse, OBX, and the occasional Chesapeake area sending lures and lighter rigs.

Good choice. I'm running a 4500 w braid that pulls double duty (nj/obx). 10'6" mojo surf. Almost went with a 5k size but they didn't have the ones I wanted and the 6k sizes they had in stock felt a bit much.