conjourtj

*Blackfish in back in the winter

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is it possible to catch black fish in *back during the winter?-I spoke to a few regulars and they said that they have action during the winter using shrimp when they can't get green crabs  True?

Edited by TimS
I had to remove the overly specific info - it's the only chance you'll get responses :-)

My experience in the back when water got to low 40's the bite was over. Plus crabs are probably in the mud and bait fish would be limited.

IIRC  tog come in to shore spring & fall when the waters are a certain temp. I think it's 50s.  Then go deeper in summer/winter. 

I can't remember what temps thou.  That's a guess.  

I'd still fish back there thou.  Might not get a tog, but who knows whats cruisin around.  

What's your air temps like in NJ this time of year.  High 30s I'm meh on goin out. Just get cold and can't warm up.  40s and up I don't mind.   And if it's sunny I'll be smilin

32 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Guys are willing to freeze to catch perch so I mean have at it lol.

I've been told by my northern Wisconsin born wife that ice fishing is really about guys getting the hell out of the house. And drinking.

I find perch fishing this time of yr more rewarding than a metal/teaser short off the beach during the fall run. Finding the fish. Finding and catching the bait. Getting a break in the weather all has to line up just right. Elbow to *sshole on the beach..?  Nah I’ll pass. 

11 hours ago, gellfex said:

I've been told by my northern Wisconsin born wife that ice fishing is really about guys getting the hell out of the house. And drinking.

That makes sense. I feel like that's more interesting than going on the hunt for some perch. I personally just use January and February to relax. No yard work, no fishing, no real anything. Kind of recharges my batteries a bit.