pending

Reel size vs rod length confusion

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I think you should use the 12ft rod to huck baits long range and then while you are waiting for a bite use a short rod to fish up close.  Double win.  Catch more fish, not so boring. 

6 mins ago, koalaslim said:

I think you should use the 12ft rod to huck baits long range and then while you are waiting for a bite use a short rod to fish up close.  Double win.  Catch more fish, not so boring. 

Agreed. I do that when the bite is slow. Sometimes it’s all I can do to keep up w two baited rods. 

I have a 13 ft flordia surf angler rod and the new 14000  baitrunner on it and I feel like its perfect. Yeah its more reel then is needed but it balances perfectly on the rod . Pompano and kings are not strong  no matter what reel used but iv used a smaller longcast on it and the bigger one just feels better.   Also the new baitrunner longcast is not heavy or cumbersome even in the 14000 size. Super smooth reel

20 mins ago, koalaslim said:

That’s what I do. Three baitrunner setups at different ranges and me casting something while I watch them.

No lawn chairs on my cart.:howdy:

22 mins ago, koalaslim said:

Win Win!

Yes

And what happens when you got fish on both rods?

If you are not careful and all alone

One rod is gone, gone, gone.

Together with the reel.

Gone with the wind

:howdy:

19 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Pending,

A long cast reel would be awesome for that rod, not the big-ass Ultergra 140000 or Spinfisher 7500, but the smaller ones like you mentioned; have not tried them but the Conflict II 5000 LC looks to be a light alternative to the Spinfisher 5500 LC.

A small clipped down bait (search for Gemini Splash Down Clip or their Juno Bait Clips) and a 3oz sinker would make 100yds a walk in the park

I checked the clips out that you mentioned. I dig them. I actually have something similar, breakaway imps. What are your thoughts on them? Unfortunately I haven’t built any rigs w them yet. 

IMPS are great, I have and do use them, I just prefer the Splash Downs as they do not rely on line tension to remain clipped, which allows me to cast OTG whan I want to, or use a longer hook length for more bait movement.

Splash Down's have a hook size limit so for bigger baits when targeting Kob here in SA (think Drum) I need to use what we call a dingle dangle

Juno's allow for a bigger hook/bait having to use athe dingle-dangle.

Explainaition of the dingle-dangle:

build a bait around the foam core and slip your hook (circle or J) through the heat shrink covered wire loop end

Dingle dangle to Gemini Splash Down.jpeg

I cast OTG so the ones I have prob won’t work. I’ll pick up some of the splash downs and give them a shot. Dingle dangle...ha that sounds pretty damn funny. Thanks for the info.