pending

Reel size vs rod length confusion

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, olvart said:

12’6 Century is a little overkill for Pompano and Whiting.

For me the near perfect pomp rod is 12’ Okuma Rockaway with 16-20 oz reel. I use the Shimano 6-8 k Baitrunners,have landed quite a few 36-40” drum on these outfits. Also like the 5-6k Spheros for this.

20lb Suffix 832,works for me.:howdy:

I also use the Shimano 6000-8000 baitrunners for pompano and whiting on the gulf.  Although I run 30lb braid.  I often find that the 4oz weight comes into play when the waves are crashing good and the wind is blowing.  IMO "balance" doesn't really matter much if you are just using it to soak bait.  Balance matters to me with lure rods and setups I will be casting non stop.  

Edited by koalaslim

1 hour ago, pending said:

Understanding balancing now curious if there is a chart or something out there that recommends reel ounces based on rod length/rod ounces. Prob a stupid question. 

There is no formula and there is not chart for this.

It is individual "feeling" where, when and how the rod and reel are balanced.

Way you are holding the rod has to do, also, a lot with balance, too.

What may be a good balance for me it may not work for you.

Or vise versa

Me, personally, I am trying to go as lightest as possible for plugging. 

I use 4* size reel on the same rod that olvart is mentioning, Okuma 12' Rockaway.

In the mater of fact, I just ordered a new reel, RTX-40S, exclusive for this rod. Reel weights only 8.2 oz and combine with rod (that weights only 11.2),  I am fishing with whole set that is less than 20 oz. That is less than some of the reels itself.

I also have same rods in 10' and 11' paired with 3* size reels and they are serving me fine. I have a great balances with them and most important, I am having fun and enjoy using and playing with them.

So, you will have to find for yourself what reel and/or what size of reel you will and want to use with your rod.

Pending,

A long cast reel would be awesome for that rod, not the big-ass Ultergra 140000 or Spinfisher 7500, but the smaller ones like you mentioned; have not tried them but the Conflict II 5000 LC looks to be a light alternative to the Spinfisher 5500 LC.

A small clipped down bait (search for Gemini Splash Down Clip or their Juno Bait Clips) and a 3oz sinker would make 100yds a walk in the park

3 hours ago, pending said:

Understanding balancing now curious if there is a chart or something out there that recommends reel ounces based on rod length/rod ounces. Prob a stupid question. 

My rule of thumb is a reel that weighs as much as the rod usually do.

I don't understand the concept of a rod length to match a reel size either.  What does one have to do with the other?

Get a rod that will throw the desired weight the desired distance. 

Get a reel with the capacity required for the desired line size and the fish you are after.  Be realistic about it and use no more and no less.

Balance the rod or shift the balance point with a counter weight in the butt.  If that doesn't work then move the reel seat.

If you restrict yourself to factory-built rods in a certain price range you may never find a good fit.  A custom fit rod will cost less if you build it yourself.  You can do a taped mock-up to make sure it is right before committing to the final build.  It doesn't need to be fancy.  It is an enjoyable pastime and a skill that will pay dividends in the future.  Take control of your rod design options and live happily ever after.

-steve

Edited by oc1

Casting a 12' rod with a 6* reel and 3oz+ a hundred yards for pompano seems a little overkill to me for an 18" fish that might weigh 2 lbs. 90% of the pompano I have caught were within a 100' of shore (often 50') feeding on crustaceans that were dislodged by wave wash. I fish mostly the carolina coasts so maybe things are different in your area but I find them feeding in the trough and a 7-8' rod and a 4* reel are plenty IMO for pompano and whiting. If I were targeting bull reds that would be different. 

20" braid on a VR50 and 8' weapon jr works for me (and the rare bull red close to shore). 

5 hours ago, oc1 said:

I don't understand the concept of a rod length to match a reel size either.  What does one have to do with the other?

Get a rod that will throw the desired weight the desired distance. 

Get a reel with the capacity required for the desired line size and the fish you are after.  Be realistic about it and use no more and no less.

Balance the rod or shift the balance point with a counter weight in the butt.  If that doesn't work then move the reel seat.

If you restrict yourself to factory-built rods in a certain price range you may never find a good fit.  A custom fit rod will cost less if you build it yourself.  You can do a taped mock-up to make sure it is right before committing to the final build.  It doesn't need to be fancy.  It is an enjoyable pastime and a skill that will pay dividends in the future.  Take control of your rod design options and live happily ever after.

-steve

I actually bought the SS 1505 and a nor’easter at the same time as blanks built them myself. However I built them to Ryan whites specs which worked for me. to Cabo it was fun and the rods turned out pretty good. When I took them to Cabo I only had the eyes zip tied into place and taped the reel to the butt. Rods are now fully built. 

15 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Casting a 12' rod with a 6* reel and 3oz+ a hundred yards for pompano seems a little overkill to me for an 18" fish that might weigh 2 lbs. 90% of the pompano I have caught were within a 100' of shore (often 50') feeding on crustaceans that were dislodged by wave wash. I fish mostly the carolina coasts so maybe things are different in your area but I find them feeding in the trough and a 7-8' rod and a 4* reel are plenty IMO for pompano and whiting. If I were targeting bull reds that would be different. 

20" braid on a VR50 and 8' weapon jr works for me (and the rare bull red close to shore). 

Ya. Here in Texas and Florida as well they can be in closer but usually the are in the second trough which is usually wayyy out there. 

15 hours ago, pending said:

Won’t be plugging w the rod. Basically weight + bait now. Have a 6500 saltist to plug w that I got when I bought the rod when I took it to Cabo for roosters. I just feel for my intended purposes now that reel is overkill. 

I think the rod is too!

Edited by technologist
duplicate post

13 hours ago, Tyger92 said:

It depends on what reel you’re putting on it, sizes vary a lot between brands. I have a 6000 saragosa on a 9’ rod and it’s fine.. a 6000 Daiwa on that rod would be an entirely different story. 

Exactly.  There isn't an "industry standard" for reel sizing so 4500 can be very different between manufacturers.  

I think you'd be fine with a 4k - 5k reel honestly but make sure you slap it on first to see how it feels.

When I own'd an S2 1326 I preferred my VS150 over a VS200 because it just felt right for me. 

Everyone's different, good luck with your choice