pending

Reel size vs rod length confusion

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Trying to figure out what size reel I need for a 12’6” Century Slingshot 1505. Will be using the rod for Pompano/whiting in the gulf. I feel like I don’t need larger than a 4500. However I see many post on here w recommendations of 6k size and larger for only 10’-11’ rods. Why are people using such large sized reels from the beach and jetties? 

My thinking is this w the above mentioned rod paired w a Penn SSVI 4500 spooled w 20# braid. Can throw bait around 100yds and if a fish takes the bait it will prob run an additional 100yds max, leaving around 100yds on the spool. Why are people putting 6k and larger reels on their rods? Isn’t the smallest and lightest reel ideal? 

My 13’ distance casters are spoiled w 300yds of 18# test mono for bull reds and small sharks. Have never had an issue of not enough line. 

2 mins ago, pending said:

Trying to figure out what size reel I need for a 12’6” Century Slingshot 1505. Will be using the rod for Pompano/whiting in the gulf. I feel like I don’t need larger than a 4500. However I see many post on here w recommendations of 6k size and larger for only 10’-11’ rods. Why are people using such large sized reels from the beach and jetties? 

My thinking is this w the above mentioned rod paired w a Penn SSVI 4500 spooled w 20# braid. Can throw bait around 100yds and if a fish takes the bait it will prob run an additional 100yds max, leaving around 100yds on the spool. Why are people putting 6k and larger reels on their rods? Isn’t the smallest and lightest reel ideal? 

My 13’ distance casters are spoiled w 300yds of 18# test mono for bull reds and small sharks. Have never had an issue of not enough line. 

It’s not just about line capacity. You have to consider the weight of the reel and how it will balance on the rod also. On a 12’6” rod I would definitely go 6k or larger. Anything smaller I don’t think would balance well. Probably one of those things that you’d want to put a reel on the rod first and see what’s comfortable for you

Rod balance is important but to me more important is how set up feels in the hand.

And that all depends where and how  individual is holding rod.

3* size reel may have much smaller drag than 5* and 6*

I wouldn't take 6* reel for trout fishing and also I wouldn't be fishing for the sharks with 1* and 2* reel size

But that's me

54 mins ago, eelbasher said:

It’s not just about line capacity. You have to consider the weight of the reel and how it will balance on the rod also. On a 12’6” rod I would definitely go 6k or larger. Anything smaller I don’t think would balance well. Probably one of those things that you’d want to put a reel on the rod first and see what’s comfortable for you

Won’t be plugging w the rod. Basically weight + bait now. Have a 6500 saltist to plug w that I got when I bought the rod when I took it to Cabo for roosters. I just feel for my intended purposes now that reel is overkill. 

27 mins ago, pending said:

Won’t be plugging w the rod. Basically weight + bait now. Have a 6500 saltist to plug w that I got when I bought the rod when I took it to Cabo for roosters. I just feel for my intended purposes now that reel is overkill. 

The saltist 6500 is wayyyyyy bigger than a normal 6k size reel.  Not sure what brand you’re looking to purchase but Daiwa sizes the past few years were much larger than the norm. Every brand is different though 

12’6 Century is a little overkill for Pompano and Whiting.

For me the near perfect pomp rod is 12’ Okuma Rockaway with 16-20 oz reel. I use the Shimano 6-8 k Baitrunners,have landed quite a few 36-40” drum on these outfits. Also like the 5-6k Spheros for this.

20lb Suffix 832,works for me.:howdy:

Too small of a reel wont balance well. In a pinch i had to put a penn conflict 5000 on my 11 foot jetty rod. Between the size of the reel and how light it is compared to other 5000s it just didnt feel right to me. Especially throwing 3 and 4 ounce jigs

It depends on what reel you’re putting on it, sizes vary a lot between brands. I have a 6000 saragosa on a 9’ rod and it’s fine.. a 6000 Daiwa on that rod would be an entirely different story. 

2 hours ago, olvart said:

12’6 Century is a little overkill for Pompano and Whiting.

For me the near perfect pomp rod is 12’ Okuma Rockaway with 16-20 oz reel. I use the Shimano 6-8 k Baitrunners,have landed quite a few 36-40” drum on these outfits. Also like the 5-6k Spheros for this.

20lb Suffix 832,works for me.:howdy:

Not sure I understand how this rod is way overkill for pomps. Rod is rated for 1-4oz and has a soft tip for bite detection. Most pomp fishing is w 2-4oz weights and usually requires long rods for long casts. Ya sometimes they’re closer but most are out there. I know its not much of a fight but to get out there and to hold the bait down long rods rated for 3-4oz is ideal. 

Sorry,the range of the rod,as you said,is perfect for pomps.

I just think the $100 Okuma Rockaway is all you need compared to a $550 Century.  

After all, it’s just bait and wait in a spike. Pompano and Whiting,right?

The Century Slingshot is worth every penny if you are using it for more than a 100 yard cast every 20 minutes with fishbites and spiking it.

Just my two cents,go for it.

The point i was trying to make is don’t get hung up on reel model numbers. Look at line capacity and weight to find your reel.

:howdy:

Ps; I didn’t say the  rod was “way” overkill. I said a “little” overkill.

Edited by olvart

1 hour ago, olvart said:

Sorry,the range of the rod,as you said,is perfect for pomps.

I just think the $100 Okuma Rockaway is all you need compared to a $550 Century.  

After all, it’s just bait and wait in a spike. Pompano and Whiting,right?

The Century Slingshot is worth every penny if you are using it for more than a 100 yard cast every 20 minutes with fishbites and spiking it.

Just my two cents,go for it.

The point i was trying to make is don’t get hung up on reel model numbers. Look at line capacity and weight to find your reel.

:howdy:

Ps; I didn’t say the  rod was “way” overkill. I said a “little” overkill.

Gotcha. However I didn’t buy the rod for pomp’s. I purchased it and the saltist 6500 for roosters when I went to Cabo about five years ago. Just repurposing the rod now for pomp’s and such and I feel that reel is overkill. Was considering the ssvi 4500 but sounds like it’s too small and unbalanced. Also considering the ssvi 5500 long cast. Also sorry for the misquote and I understand what you mean by overkill now. Thx.