ChasingTales

Best size circle hook

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I prefer BKK and Owner mutu tournament (reef n rig).. recently picked up some trokar circles and I'm mildly impressed so far (haven't fished them yet though so we will see if they work as nicely as they look)..

Hook sizes between different manufacturers can vary greatly. With the above referenced hooks I'll comfortably use anywhere from 8/0 - 10/0 depending on the size of the fish I'm targeting...

FWIW... If your not already familiar with bridling baits, it's probably worth some of your time to look into it.. 

9 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

If your not already familiar with bridling baits, it's probably worth some of your time to look into it.

More than worth. You are the one started that topic while ago.

Very interesting reading.

5 hours ago, Popasilov said:

More than worth. You are the one started that topic while ago.

Very interesting reading.

It's something I really think will help people. It really helped me...

I would prefer to see everyone just get on board with these new regulations, as it's very much in the best interest of the resource. In my experience so far, I've seen and heard a lot of confusion and frustration around the best way to attain consistent success with inline circles..

I hope that in sharing what I've found to be the absolute most successful method, that more people will not only adopt these new regs more freely, but also learn to prefer inline circle hooks for other bait fishing as well..

In my honest opinion, once you've got the hang of them, circle hooks are almost an unfair advantage to the angler. They require very little skill, effort or attention to use. They are a true "deadstick" hook. 

The majority of the time I see people having problems with them, those individuals are usually struggling to overcome the same bad habits I had when I initially adopted these hooks. Its hard to unlearn that whole "set the hook" mentality. 

If you do everything right.. appropriate tackle and hook sizing, proper rigging, proper bating, and you put it where the fish are.... Then you've done your job, now sit back and let the hook do it's job.. 

While I haven't used bait for bass in ages, I used to use 7/0-8/0 gamakatsu circles. Worked just as well as j-hooks, if not better once you get down not setting the hook.

Im going to start making my own hooks. What do i really need? Wire a torch a grinder a quench bucket and make a jig to bend it around? Wouldnt have to crush barbs either 

Anyone ever try? 

3 hours ago, carznfish said:

Im going to start making my own hooks. What do i really need? Wire a torch a grinder a quench bucket and make a jig to bend it around? Wouldnt have to crush barbs either 

Anyone ever try? 

In the middle ages ?