mightyrime

First boat dad and kid and bass on the fly

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi Team,
I have been in Southern California now for 4 years and dearly miss my east coast flats. I want to get on the water more and our salt fishing here is much more of an offshore all day adventure, and i dont have an offshore boat nor do i want to go down the road.

THIS WILL BE MY FIRST BOAT OTHER THAN KAYAKS, CANOES, and SUPS.

I have 2 SUPS that i fish off when alone and they work great, but they have a very limited range and only are for solo.

I want to start exploring the the bass lakes with my 7 year old son. We have 5 very good bass reservoirs within 45 minutes from my house.

Car wise i have subaru forester so i cant tow anything very heavy.

Looking for advice ( or if there is a thread about this already please share) on a boat for the 2 of us.

my needs:
Keep it somewhat simple
light enough to tow with my current car
fits 2 people
can stand in it to cast when alone
figure with the size of the lakes i would want to be able to cover about 4 or miles max in a day.
Do i need a trolling motor?
Budget wise i believe in buy nice or buy twice so i dont mind spending a bit.
I know most boats dont do it all, but if this boat could be taken in the shallow salt flats maybe in texas which we travel to quite a bit for family.

The 3 designs i am so far exploring are:
gheenoe / big canoe
microskiff
john boat type thing..

open to all advice as i am new to this "real boat" thing.

thanks

Towing wise you’re max is about a 14’ aluminum rigged out.  I have a 1754 welded aluminum and it’s heavy.  My Gheenoe is pretty light with an 8hp 2 stroke and a trolling motor....still need a trailer.  You will absolutely want a nice trolling motor.  Small water, I will just run a trolling motor on the Gheenoe most of the time.

My choice would be a wide 14’ flat/semi v, riveted aluminum or a Gheenoe.  The Gheenoe will get into smaller water.....the aluminum will have more room.  I’ve considered unloading my Gheenoe for a small aluminum, but I just can’t bring myself to do it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can you get a Gheenoe in California?  Would be a sweet rig but I think it would be hard to get your hands on one out there.  You might want to look for an old Hobie 15 powerskiff.  Beloved little center consoles, especially in California.  Very versatile.  A bit of freeboard to keep your son inside the boat.  Hauls ass with a small motor.  Easy to trailer.  Or a tin boat (Duraland or similar) with 9.9 kicker always get the job done.

Edited by Cpalms

I would consider something like a 16' Utility Vee aluminum boat... most major aluminum boat makers have them. Basic bench seats... they are well under 500 lbs for the hull. Pair it with a 25 hp tiller outboard, a bow mounted trolling motor (on a quick release plate), marine battery, and 6 gallon tank, and your set. Get a decent single axle trailer, and you should easily be able to tow it with Subaru.

I'm guessing the 16' hull, trailer, outboard, battery, and tank would be around 1,000 lbs... probably under.

Doesn't have to be a Crestliner, but something functional like this.5ffdaa8a5f508_16Vee.JPG.e246ca99c282539c8d659c6b6e4e9f5b.JPG

I did not recommend a V bottom simply because I feel like most water will be flat.  V bottoms tend to roll a bit when standing at the bow.  If you don't need it to cut chop....go with a wider bow.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:36 AM, mightyrime said:

Hi Team,
I have been in Southern California now for 4 years and dearly miss my east coast flats. I want to get on the water more and our salt fishing here is much more of an offshore all day adventure, and i dont have an offshore boat nor do i want to go down the road.

THIS WILL BE MY FIRST BOAT OTHER THAN KAYAKS, CANOES, and SUPS.

I have 2 SUPS that i fish off when alone and they work great, but they have a very limited range and only are for solo.

I want to start exploring the the bass lakes with my 7 year old son. We have 5 very good bass reservoirs within 45 minutes from my house.

Car wise i have subaru forester so i cant tow anything very heavy.

Looking for advice ( or if there is a thread about this already please share) on a boat for the 2 of us.

my needs:
Keep it somewhat simple
light enough to tow with my current car
fits 2 people
can stand in it to cast when alone
figure with the size of the lakes i would want to be able to cover about 4 or miles max in a day.
Do i need a trolling motor?
Budget wise i believe in buy nice or buy twice so i dont mind spending a bit.
I know most boats dont do it all, but if this boat could be taken in the shallow salt flats maybe in texas which we travel to quite a bit for family.

The 3 designs i am so far exploring are:
gheenoe / big canoe
microskiff
john boat type thing..

open to all advice as i am new to this "real boat" thing.

thanks

Thats where you ended up. I thought you were thinking of up here in Maine. I remember you asking a few of us what it was like up here, hope all is well.

Can't stand up in a canoe.

This is my gheenoe....with the $100 jet ski trailer I got yesterday for the places without a ramp.  Been looking for a while for a way to move it once off the trailer.

0113211058_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, Lucky said:

20200924_111607.jpg.426be304699b39c3c57beae337d7fe33.jpg20201005_062350.jpg.8ebd851b2adf5fa4a7195634700d8ab1.jpgResized_20201003_113008(1).jpeg.aaca98d3eb1b2a1f45f16dfef7fa3500.jpeg

this is the vibe i am looking for on the simple side of the spectrum!... what size canoe and trolling motor is that?   

15 foot discovery sport with a 50lb thrust motor. The thing cooks. I couldn't be happier with it. The boat was $1800 shipped.