flyangler

SOL Florida Meet-up Saturday, Feb 13th, Carlin Park, Jupiter FL

Rate this topic

178 posts in this topic

OK, time to get this done. By some mutual agreement and the tide charts, we are doing this on Saturday, Feb 13th at Carlin Park in Jupiter as previously discussed. 

Expanding on what I have previously posted in the other two threads:

• Carlin Park in Jupiter (north of Palm Beach, south of Stuart)

TIMING

• Sunrise to mid-afternoon with a group lunch
  • Sunrise that day is 6:58am, first light about 40 minutes earlier
  • High tide that day is 10:12am, low at 4:37pm
  • I will be there before sunrise, likely around 6:30.

AGENDA (ROUGH)

• This event is intended as a group fishing, social and knowledge-sharing event
  • Attendance is whatever you want it to be, from first light to whenever
  • Morning session fishing for sharks or whatever is in the area
  • Lunch which can by BYO or something more organized like a potluck
  • Afternoon session continue the morning program PLUS an ocean fly fishing teach-in
  • Bull-chitting and ball-busting will be frequent and welcome
  • Group cocktails or dinner is possible for anyone interested

FOOD/BEVERAGES

• I will bring one or two coolers for drinks and food storage
  • Food will be BYO or to be bought locally
  • There is a diner at the venue and it serves breakfast and lunch
  • I don't know the exact rules on alcohol other than know it is not allowed on the beach, not sure about pavillion
  • Thus, discretion might be in order

WEATHER

• This is South Florida so conditions should be comfortable
  • That said, this is the "coldest" winter on average in a number of years
  • Mid-February temperatures are in the low-mid 70s with dawn temps 5-10 cooler
  • Wind is the key as it can blow from any direction though from the East is pretty consistent
  • Rain in the mornings is unlikely unless we have a system in the area. 

FISHING

• This is open ocean, sand beaches, so gear up accordingly
  • Casting distance can be from the wash out as far as you can chuck a plug
  • Very fly rod friendly though that depends somewhat on the wind
  • Species: jacks, blues, spanish mackerel, ladyfish
  • Sharks: this should be in the middle of the blacktip shark migration so they are very possible
  • Blacktips will take bait better than plugs but under the right conditions will smach topwaters (see zcoker posts)
  • Bait can be any oily fish or jacks, heads or chunks; Casting distance "depends" on tide, etc. 
  • For other species, any swimming or topwater lure will work if they are around
  • As you will see in the video, this beach has a guarded area where fishing is prohibited when guards are there
  • During guarded hours, fishing is allowed both north and south of the guard stations. 

MISCELLANEOUS 

• Security concerns at this park are lower than other locations but not zero, so plan accordingly
  • I will lock coolers to the pavillion posts just to make sure they don't walk away
  • I don't think we can assume there will always be one of us at the pavillion so don't assume gear can be left there
  • With the beach and ample parking literally mere yards away, leaving gear you don't need in the car is a strong option
  • Safety of vehicles during the day is not a concern, too many people, too much traffic, too many JPD patrols, etc. 
  • That said, be as cautious as you would anywhere else

FLY CASTING

• As I mentioned in the initial thread on this topic, assuming @RedGreen attends, between the two of us we would have four or more two-handed, ocean-grade rods and more single-hand rods than we would ever need.
  • Several who have shown interest are both gear and fly anglers so this might be a good opportunity to cast a wide range of gear
  • Also, I have a charter captain friend in Jupiter who is also a certified casting instructor and I might be able to get him to come to give pointers to anyone new to the fly rod.
  • Conditions could be windy but if there is enough interest in casting instruction and the weather is uncooperative, there are spots nearby where the grass might be more forgiving. 

1 hour ago, gman1253 said:

Too bad... the one weekend I have to travel.

Good luck & have fun guys of course have one for me.

Next year... hopefully.

gman, sorry, but you know the area and the tides had to play a part in choosing between the 6th and the 13th. that beach on low water would not have been too productive. next time....

1 hour ago, flyangler said:

gman, sorry, but you know the area and the tides had to play a part in choosing between the 6th and the 13th. that beach on low water would not have been too productive. next time....

Totally agree ... no worries. 

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

rooms were a hundred bucks more because valentine's day lol

ha! I will have a box of chocolates waiting for you. 

Regarding two handed fly casting stuff later in that day, I want to say a couple things just to keep everyone's expectations realistic so nobody is disappointed or whatever. 

While I have fished and still fish TH fly rods, and consider myself to be a very competent caster with them, I'm not a casting instructor, personally I don't think I'm the best teacher either. That said I will do what I can to help people out who want to work on their cast, just don't expect that I'll be on the level of a certified casting instructor with regard to teaching fly casting. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

57 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Regarding two handed fly casting stuff later in that day, I want to say a couple things just to keep everyone's expectations realistic so nobody is disappointed or whatever. 

While I have fished and still fish TH fly rods, and consider myself to be a very competent caster with them, I'm not a casting instructor, personally I don't think I'm the best teacher either. That said I will do what I can to help people out who want to work on their cast, just don't expect that I'll be on the level of a certified casting instructor with regard to teaching fly casting. 

well, after that bit of "expectations management", that now puts you 4X better than anyone else there down from the previous 8X better....

I think what will be most instructive is watching a successful caster on a successful cast. 

Edited by flyangler

10 hours ago, RedGreen said:

All cool. Not expecting anything. Just looking to have fun.

23 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

do me and the most beautiful girl in the world  need a salt water fishing license in fla.

Technically yes, one exists. Realistically, no. I have never been challenged by either the wildlife folks or sheriffs. I you want to be safe, it can be purchased online and exist in your phone.  

3 mins ago, flyangler said:

Technically yes, one exists. Realistically, no. I have never been challenged by either the wildlife folks or sheriffs. I you want to be safe, it can be purchased online and exist in your phone.  

ok , I'll check on it thanks