DaleG603

What's everyone tying for this years saltwater!?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

44 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

Is this the brand you used in these flies? Looks like it has a nice krinkly wave to it.   I gambled on a few other packs but they were very fine and straight. 

That's the brand. Nice crimp. 

image.jpg

On 1/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, HillTop said:

Experimenting this winter.    Starting with trying to replicate Charlie Bisharat's Pole Dancer  (top water) with the help of "theshadow" and "Suave" and then more SW tube flies, starting with sand eels and Mickelsons's epoxy baitfish. 

A flyfishing friend in Chatham a couple of years ago gave me a hand tied Pole Dancer which he found effective.

Using my 9' 9 wt. flyrod, I found it very difficult to cast any distance. Mostly, just an overhand "lob" into a deep hole was about as far as I could get it to go. In his case, that was just as far as he needed to cast it to catch stripers at that time.  Feather-Craft fly tying company's catalog shows the materials needed to tie this fly and the last time I looked, they showed the materials as available. 

10 mins ago, flysully said:

A flyfishing friend in Chatham a couple of years ago gave me a hand tied Pole Dancer which he found effective.

Using my 9' 9 wt. flyrod, I found it very difficult to cast any distance. Mostly, just an overhand "lob" into a deep hole was about as far as I could get it to go. In his case, that was just as far as he needed to cast it to catch stripers at that time.  Feather-Craft fly tying company's catalog shows the materials needed to tie this fly and the last time I looked, they showed the materials as available. 

Hello Dottie,   Hope you and Ron are well.   Happy New Year !!

Yes the DC Dodger is almost the same as Charlie B's fly and more than likely had been modeled after his.    The foam head shape is a little different as I say those head's at the Bear's Den last week.   I do like that the Dodger is modeled after a tube fly.   Didn't want to purchase any at this time only because I have more projects in the works than I care to think about.   Want to do an original Pole Dancer and then maybe try the Dodge for comparison.

re: Fly and casting.    There's a lot of wind resistance to this fly.    The other thread on the board regarding weighting large air resistant flies is one I find interesting and after handling these samples I'm thinking there's not enough mass to aid in casting.    After I model up the first one I'll experiment with additional lead around the hook bend to see how, if any, the additional weight may help.    Will report back.

HT

Hilltop: The fly my friend tied and gave to me had plenty of weight in the back, which helps it to stand vertically when at rest plus a 3/0 hook. Lead wrapped around the hook plus a glass tube with bb's inside cemented to the hook., then the rest of the materials plus the cupped face and eyes.  I just found it too cumbersome to throw and work in the water and, actually, prefer a Popovic's (Bob's Banger) popper both for ease of casting and distance. Just my opinion, though and, granted, it would be a nice fly tying challenge over this winter to create the perfect imitation of the original Pole Dancer. I just wouldn't recommend tying too many of them until you get to actually cast it personally this coming spring to see if you feel it's worth all the time and expense needed to create it. I definitely can see why the fly is so expensive when you see how many steps are involved to tie it.. I wish you good luck and success with it, HT:howdy:

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, flysully said:

Hilltop: The fly my friend tied and gave to me had plenty of weight in the back, which helps it to stand vertically when at rest plus a 3/0 hook. Lead wrapped around the hook plus a glass tube with bb's inside cemented to the hook., then the rest of the materials plus the cupped face and eyes.  I just found it too cumbersome to throw and work in the water and, actually, prefer a Popovic's (Bob's Banger) popper both for ease of casting and distance. Just my opinion, though and, granted, it would be a nice fly tying challenge over this winter to create the perfect imitation of the original Pole Dancer. I just wouldn't recommend tying too many of them until you get to actually cast it personally this coming spring to see if you feel it's worth all the time and expense needed to create it. I definitely can see why the fly is so expensive when you see how many steps are involved to tie it.. I wish you good luck and success with it, HT:howdy:

Good advice, especially seeing you are a much more experienced caster than I.    I will run the first  build out on the water prior to finishing up the foam bodies I purchased.      Plan on using the TH for this one in the spring, once I fix my broken tip :( .     Have a 10wt ShortStix with OBS Short that I can use to play around with this initially.   Was thinking this fly might also be a good kayak fly for the ShortStix seeing I don't need to cast too far in the yak.

HT

Edited by HillTop

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, xjclint said:

That's the brand. Nice crimp. 

image.jpg

Downside is no bunker green. Had to use a few others I had that I don't like as much. Here's a big herring using all the same hair. One is tied hair normally and one reversed. Reversed nose is better but I like the hook balance on the normal. Those are 10" on a giant 5/0 live bait hook (only big hooks I had handy). 

CB8A2CCF-12A0-40D2-BE62-89CD45402110.jpeg

Edited by xjclint

13 hours ago, pescatore said:

Going kind of old school this year, tying up a bunch of patterns from Salt Water Flies (1972). Blondes, seaducers, keel flies, some interesting crab patterns.

IMG_20210112_111948667_PORTRAIT.jpg

First Flies I ever tied were blondes - still use them as an alternate with a rays fly for my multi-teaser prospecting leaders - Flatwing on end, next up a rays fly, General Practitioner Shrimp or Blonde, third and highest on the leader is a cinderworm, isopod or #1 hook (possibly smaller) single feather Flatwing,  The fish will tell you what they want. If there are fish around that is.  Then I switch to a single fly leader, because double headers on a fly rod are a bit much for me anymore.

Going down a rabbit hole with this wig hair. Every time I said I've bought enough they have a 3 pack for 4 bucks. Enough to tie hundreds of these. 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, xjclint said:

Going down a rabbit hole with this wig hair. Every time I said I've bought enough they have a 3 pack for 4 bucks. Enough to tie hundreds of these. 

image.jpg

Once you get used to working with it wig hair isn't so bad !!!

HT

1 hour ago, xjclint said:

Where would you guys say this wig hair fits in compared to other synthetic hairs? Is it a substitute for anything in particular? It seems to have some of the characteristics of EP and Yak hair, but I'm just getting into synthetics. 

Ill also admit my confusion and decision fatigue is building with all the different synthetic styles brands and blends out there. 

6 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

Where would you guys say this wig hair fits in compared to other synthetic hairs? Is it a substitute for anything in particular? It seems to have some of the characteristics of EP and Yak hair, but I'm just getting into synthetics. 

Ill also admit my confusion and decision fatigue is building with all the different synthetic styles brands and blends out there. 

Usually less crimp than yak or ep. Thickness of yak. It ranges by brand a lot. Some are fine and straight. Some are pretty wavy. The photo I shared in this thread is my new favorite brand. Good volume but not too coarse. So cheap I make it work but there are better materials for certain flies (like ep).