DaleG603

What's everyone tying for this years saltwater!?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, DaleG603 said:

Thanks for sharing pics! I hope to learn how to tie using synthetic materials. Flat wings look great, what did you make the heads with in the the attached pics? Marabou?

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.42.10 PM.png

Smaller Flyes you have cicled are tied on a #1 hook - the palmering is that of a folded (in Half) wide, webby saddle,  tie it in just above your flatwing tie in point, wet it with your fingers, fold it, and palmer it towards the hook eye.  The yellow flatwing has a Maribou Feather tied in the same way, but it is tied on a 2/0 E?C 254S hook.  Maribou on the smaller hook would overcome the feather's action in the current.

15 hours ago, DaleG603 said:

I know I've got a ways to go, but just started tying. This was my fifth flat-wiing, first ever using three hackle feathers. :)

IMG_6868.jpeg

IMG_6871.jpeg

IMG_6853.jpeg

Your Flatwing looks very good, with only one exception, which is the sparseness of your bucktaiil - my general formula, adopted from Kenny A's advice is as follows:

Bottom Collar - 30 hairs total, aplit 15 to each side of the hook.

Side collar - 15 hairs each side;

Wing - if it does not have a feather topping, 15 hairs total.  if it does have a flatwing feather topping, 30 hairs total. 

1227200048.jpg

1213202353.jpg

2 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Your Flatwing looks very good, with only one exception, which is the sparseness of your bucktaiil - my general formula, adopted from Kenny A's advice is as follows:

Bottom Collar - 30 hairs total, aplit 15 to each side of the hook.

Side collar - 15 hairs each side;

Wing - if it does not have a feather topping, 15 hairs total.  if it does have a flatwing feather topping, 30 hairs total. 

1227200048.jpg

1213202353.jpg

Thanks for your input. It's funny because I try to consciously use less buck tail, less is more! Thanks a bunch though, really helped by seeing yours as well.

2 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Smaller Flyes you have cicled are tied on a #1 hook - the palmering is that of a folded (in Half) wide, webby saddle,  tie it in just above your flatwing tie in point, wet it with your fingers, fold it, and palmer it towards the hook eye.  The yellow flatwing has a Maribou Feather tied in the same way, but it is tied on a 2/0 E?C 254S hook.  Maribou on the smaller hook would overcome the feather's action in the current.

Ahhh, genius! lol That's great and I look forward to trying something similar. Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, DaleG603 said:

Ahhh, genius! lol That's great and I look forward to trying something similar. Thanks

If you look at the feather, the "fluffy: webs are longer toward the butt of the feather.  So your starting tie-in should be down the feather where the webs webs are narrower, so that the longer webs overlay the shorter ones.  This gives the collar and wing bulk in the water without having mass, so that it breathes in the current. Videos are of the two Banana Squid fies swimming in the current without being moved by me. note that the longer one does display more movement, as would be expected.

0303191652.mov

0303191723.mov

0305191430.jpg

Edited by FlatWing

28 mins ago, FlatWing said:

If you look at the feather, the "fluffy: webs are longer toward the butt of the feather.  So your starting tie-in should be down the feather where the webs webs are narrower, so that the longer webs overlay the shorter ones.  This gives the collar and wing bulk in the water without having mass, so that it breathes in the current. Videos are of the two Banana Squid fies swimming in the current without being moved by me. note that the longer one does display more movement, as would be expected.

0303191652.mov

0303191723.mov

0305191430.jpg

That's awesome! Now this may be a silly question, but are you using the "Webby saddle" is from the same hackle you would use to tie your flat wings?

4 hours ago, DaleG603 said:

That's awesome! Now this may be a silly question, but are you using the "Webby saddle" is from the same hackle you would use to tie your flat wings?

On the Back of any saddle, you will find the oldest feathers.  These are very wide (compared to the others).  On a Flatwing saddle they are both long and very wide. You want to avoid using a:Pro-Grade" saddle feather, as they have stiff stems throughout, so the oldest ones are especially stiff, and do not easily lend themselves to being bent around the small diameter of a hook shank.  Remember that with the "folding" technique, your are wrapping the stem in the front-to-back axis, as opposed to the side-to-side axis ,as is done with dry flies, so a stiff stem will fight you and likely crack, as opposed to bending,  With practice, you will learn what a suitable stem feels like.  But this is also the reason that I use a Maribou feather on a fly when I want a longer collar/wing - even the largest Maribou feathers are much easier to bend that the largest hackles in the area where the webs are the widest. I betting that i probably just committed a heresy in the Flatwing world :bucktooth: 

Edited by FlatWing

5 hours ago, FlatWing said:

the "folding" technique,

Flat Wing, thanks a bunch for your help. I'm going to get in front of vice tonight and see if I can't figure out the folding technique. :)

14 mins ago, DaleG603 said:

Sweet, now will you fish them here in the spring for schoolies?

That's what they're for!  Even the bonefish patterns are for bass!

Here's what I've tied a lot of recently (as posted on another thread) and will be fishing heavily next summer.

A modified Bart-O Minnow,  4" to 5"  long20201227_120145.jpg.f2dd473a9d43d65e2a6f256e8679c557.jpgBasically the same fly but this one with v-ties for head-body (Kinky Muddler style), thus with a wider front profile. Same lenght.20201102_111610.jpg.ee72be1aea6e87079cd6d6647ece14aa.jpg

Tied in various color schemes but my favorite (it did very well this past summer) is olive/white.

Edited by Suave
Typo

Going kind of old school this year, tying up a bunch of patterns from Salt Water Flies (1972). Blondes, seaducers, keel flies, some interesting crab patterns.

IMG_20210112_111948667_PORTRAIT.jpg

Been on a wig hair vibe lately. This stuff is the best I've found so far and very cheap on Amazon. You can get a lifetime supply of each color for <10 bucks each. 

E7F53394-76CA-408C-9A32-61CEFE3CB26B.jpeg

4B6EC1B2-DBB7-4306-B24A-A45CABCC79F7.jpeg

F8516C16-9FED-4060-930E-5CEBCB44F750.png

19 mins ago, xjclint said:

Been on a wig hair vibe lately. This stuff is the best I've found so far and very cheap on Amazon. You can get a lifetime supply of each color for <10 bucks each. 

E7F53394-76CA-408C-9A32-61CEFE3CB26B.jpeg

4B6EC1B2-DBB7-4306-B24A-A45CABCC79F7.jpeg

F8516C16-9FED-4060-930E-5CEBCB44F750.png

Is this the brand you used in these flies? Looks like it has a nice krinkly wave to it.   I gambled on a few other packs but they were very fine and straight. 

Edited by Bait Tailer