Fishy4335

Wooden Plug Storage?

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would think that if your tossing those same pieces of wood out into the ocean it wouldn’t matter.  I don’t think it would damage the plug to any noticeable degree.  If your a collector I would keep them inside in a more neutral environment.

Edited by t_man7

7 mins ago, t_man7 said:

I would think that if your tossing those same pieces of wood out into the ocean it wouldn’t matter.  I don’t think it would damage the plug to any noticeable degree.  If your a collector I would keep them inside in a more neutral environment.

Yeah I hear you.... I just seeing if over longer period of time if plugs warp or epoxy cracks from drastic temp humidity changes

11 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

Yeah I hear you.... I just seeing if over longer period of time if plugs warp or epoxy cracks from drastic temp humidity changes

I would be careful with wood warping, especially on needles.  Birch, and maple are much more likely to warp than say AYC (Alaskan yellow cedar).  You can see how this Habs needles nose slightly warped upward over time.  This Habs footers made of birch.

image.jpg

9 mins ago, t_man7 said:

I would be careful with wood warping, especially on needles.  Birch, and maple are much more likely to warp than say AYC (Alaskan yellow cedar).  You can see how this Habs needles nose slightly warped upward over time.  This Habs footers made of birch.

image.jpg

Wow... that's crazy is that a hole?

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

Wow... that's crazy is that a hole?

Yes, theres a hole near the eyes for chin weight.

Edited by t_man7

Outdoor temperature deltas are slow events. I don't think anything outside of extreme temps (<-20F or >110F) would affect paint or finish.

l have had wooden plug during the summer 100 deg. plus day swell the soften epoxy you end up with a blister looking plug, wood could of been a little green or had sap still in it that gave off some gasses. 

It’s gunna heavily depend on the garage itself and the geographical location your in. Large swings in humidity may very well damage plugs over a season. Obvious water intrusion can also kill plugs especially during the winter. If your garage is climate controlled then your good to go, otherwise I’d be wary. Especially if your close to the water...that salty air rusts and corrodes things rather quickly. 

Another thing is don’t leave them in the sun near a window in your garage.  If you have plastic plugs that are black you’ll end up with humpbacks.

BFF31477-9627-4B25-A779-91C2DE00CDFC.png

1 hour ago, t_man7 said:

Another thing is don’t leave them in the sun near a window in your garage.  If you have plastic plugs that are black you’ll end up with humpbacks.

Wow

I'd be less worried about the cold than storing in a garage or attic where the temps peak during the summer at 100+. I can see that causing wood plugs to bleed thru the paint, paint to blister, etc. 

On 1/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, t_man7 said:

How do they swim now?