PSegnatelli

Weedless jigs.

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe I'm just not looking in all the right places, but why isn't there more weedless jigs for SW fishing??

Freshwater has tons, Southeast redfish & specks have em. 

None for us (that I see) and we could really use em!  

 

Bassdozer's weedless eel spoon looks great and would be. But store is closed.  

3/4oz and a nice 5/0 Mustad hook.  

 

wiggle-jig3.jpg

These would rock my world!!  Stick a swim shad on there But they're for crappie. 

WSD-Jig-001-500x500.jpg

Zman has a sweet jig for the SE.  BUT. Biggest it comes is 1/4oz & 3/0 hook.   I'll try em with the casting egg and probably some Gulp worms.  

Something a little bigger would be great. 

WEJH18-01PK3.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is because in northeast saltwater environments most jigs are snagged on the bottom with the head getting wedged so the "weedless" aspect does not come into play. Most freshwater weedless jigs, I would assume, are cast into heavy vegetation and hence the need for being weedless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Weedless are great and have been around for a while. They are perfect for dragging across an oyster/muscle bed or heavy grass. 

those that you posted are interesting, especially the last Trout Eye, but the more traditional Texas Weedless can be a pain to use. For one, it is a pain to put a Zman over the weight, or chin lock, especially when trying dial in the color (yeah, I get it, stripers need white or black). Also, they tear-up plastics, when you take them off. They often become one and done. 
 

But, I also don’t think dragging a jig on the bottom for stripers is as much of a method as other species, maybe fluke

Edited by Jason B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Why not use a large gap soft plastic hook of your size preference rigged weedless then pin a weight of your choosing right above it? Weedless wobble head

 

Also. Those "weedless" crappie jigs make no sense. Why cover the hook point on top when theres a freaking weed grabbing spinner on the bottom. *face palm 

 

Last edit.. You can turn any jig head you want weedless just tie/adhere on the nylon hairs or wire yourself. Shouldn't be hard.

Edited by Badtothebugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SC said:

My opinion is because in northeast saltwater environments most jigs are snagged on the bottom with the head getting wedged so the "weedless" aspect does not come into play. Most freshwater weedless jigs, I would assume, are cast into heavy vegetation and hence the need for being weedless

Not so much for the snagging but to keep me from spending so much time ripping salad wads off my jig

11 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

Why not use a large gap soft plastic hook of your size preference rigged weedless then pin a weight of your choosing right above it? Weedless wobble head

 

Also. Those "weedless" crappie jigs make no sense. Why cover the hook point on top when theres a freaking weed grabbing spinner on the bottom. *face palm 

 

Last edit.. You can turn any jig head you want weedless just tie/adhere on the nylon hairs or wire yourself. Shouldn't be hard.

Spinnerbaits are relatively weedless so I don't think that a underspin jig would have that much more of an issue. 

 

I do rig soft plastics traditionally, but it's not really my favorite.  

 

U got any pics of modded jigs to weedless?

4 hours ago, Jason B said:

Weedless are great and have been around for a while. They are perfect for dragging across an oyster/muscle bed or heavy grass. 

those that you posted are interesting, especially the last Trout Eye, but the more traditional Texas Weedless can be a pain to use. For one, it is a pain to put a Zman over the weight, or chin lock, especially when trying dial in the color (yeah, I get it, stripers need white or black). Also, they tear-up plastics, when you take them off. They often become one and done. 
 

But, I also don’t think dragging a jig on the bottom for stripers is as much of a method as other species, maybe fluke

Not just on the bottom but my hooks get fouled up middle and near top of the water column too. 

Especially in the summer.  Somedays it's mung city

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason B said:

Weedless are great and have been around for a while. They are perfect for dragging across an oyster/muscle bed or heavy grass. 

those that you posted are interesting, especially the last Trout Eye, but the more traditional Texas Weedless can be a pain to use. For one, it is a pain to put a Zman over the weight, or chin lock, especially when trying dial in the color (yeah, I get it, stripers need white or black). Also, they tear-up plastics, when you take them off. They often become one and done. 
 

But, I also don’t think dragging a jig on the bottom for stripers is as much of a method as other species, maybe fluke

make the jigs at home,defrent weight,defrent color and change all jig,not taking off swim bait,put them in plastic bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried pinning the weight so it doesnt slide? I'm not talking traditional texas rig. I'm talking pinned texas rig. Give me a few minutes I'll see if I can whip up a decent weedles jig and take a pic. Never done it before though lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Could be better but wasn't hard.

Id have preferred single strand wire and a nice clump of nylon bucktail material but just to show how easy it is. I'm an amateur tier at best

 

20210110_112750.jpg

Edited by Badtothebugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, snag777 said:

make the jigs at home,defrent weight,defrent color and change all jig,not taking off swim bait,put them in plastic bag.

Good idea, but I try direct. I change paddletails frequently, sizes, colors even brands trying to dial it in. I would need at least 20 zip lock bags - not to mention z-mans don’t play nice. And honestly, I don’t put on a lure until I see the water.

Edited by Jason B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

Could be better but wasn't hard.

Id have preferred single strand wire and a nice clump of nylon bucktail material but just to show how easy it is. I'm an amateur tier at best

 

20210110_112750.jpg

Cool stuff.   Thanks for posting that.   

I'm a visual learner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My go to for a weedless soft plastic rig for both FW and SW is either a “pegged” Texas rig or an EWG hook equipped with a “fastach” weight. I know TT Lures makes them along with Mustad.

 

Rig in pic...

1/2oz TT weight, 5/0 Mustad grip pin hook, ZMan Trout Trick

1D45EA5A-CF95-4E7B-A906-D8D4F47AF874.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have better luck putting the "weed guard" out in front of the weight.  It is not really a weed guard but a rock hopper to keep the weight from wedging into a rock.  100# leader material works well to make the weight spring up off the rock.

-steve5ff966c7b5013_leather(1).JPG.2e2ee597711b3cfb7083915e3793a7a8.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

Could be better but wasn't hard.

Id have preferred single strand wire and a nice clump of nylon bucktail material but just to show how easy it is. I'm an amateur tier at best

 

20210110_112750.jpg

Is that red one really that weedless? I've experimented over the years countless times... And after soaked... And at that angle... Mono or flour ain't gonna do much. It's stiff when dry... But give it a soak and it won't do much. 

I found that leaving them long and using a sleeve to secure them to the hook helps a bit but sucks for rigging :)

 

Better off drilling a hole and buying fiber weedgards off the ebays or fishingskirts. Com for like 5$/100

 

Wrapping on weedgards I found 

Nitinol wire is where it's at.. Doesn't even need to be annealed straight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Is that red one really that weedless? I've experimented over the years countless times... And after soaked... And at that angle... Mono or flour ain't gonna do much. It's stiff when dry... But give it a soak and it won't do much. 

I found that leaving them long and using a sleeve to secure them to the hook helps a bit but sucks for rigging :)

 

Better off drilling a hole and buying fiber weedgards off the ebays or fishingskirts. Com for like 5$/100

 

Wrapping on weedgards I found 

Nitinol wire is where it's at.. Doesn't even need to be annealed straight. 

Really dont know just whipped up two prototypes real quick. If I fish weedless I'll fish a wide gap hook and call it done...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.