bjelley

Zeebaas V. Vanstaal

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Looking to get either a zeebaas or a vanstaal. Other than the difference in price I was wondering what you guys thought about each reel and which is better.

I would recommend using the search function. A lot of useful information. 

I prefer ZeeBaaS. Made in USA. Smoother drag and smoother gears. 

VS is made in China. VSX and VR is all they are selling currently. The VSX has had issues producing their advertised drag. The VR is a cheaper version of the ZB. I have covered that in other threads.

The VSX drag “issue” probably isn’t really an issue for striped bass from the surf. Tuna? Yup. 

5 mins ago, ged said:

I would recommend using the search function. A lot of useful information. 

I prefer ZeeBaaS. Made in USA. Smoother drag and smoother gears. 

VS is made in China. VSX and VR is all they are selling currently. The VSX has had issues producing their advertised drag. The VR is a cheaper version of the ZB. I have covered that in other threads.

The VSX drag “issue” probably isn’t really an issue for striped bass from the surf. Tuna? Yup. 

Thanks for the input. I’ve heard zeebaas have been hard to get. 

More threads on this than stars in the sky. That being said I have owned a china made VS200 for 10 years and have never had any issues. I take care of my gear. Never have had the chance to handle a ZB.  

I went back and forth on this for a while. Dug up a ton of old threads on this here and on other sites and finally pulled the trigger on a VSX just today. Hopefully i made the right choice. General consensus seems to be you cant go wrong with either, some people just like small things about one better than the other. Ill get a ZB eventually too but at least my feet are wet 

1 hour ago, bjelley said:

I want to go with a van staal or a zeebaas but I don’t feel like I get my reel wet or sandy enough to justify the price point

So what was the purpose of this thread?

10 mins ago, bjelley said:

I want to go with a van staal or a zeebaas but I don’t feel like I get my reel wet or sandy enough to justify the price point

Only you can make the call as to what is appropriate for your needs.  Many other people on the site are much more hardcore than me in terms of swimming out to rocks or regularly cranking underwater.  So why do I own several VS and Torques?  Free time.  I just don’t have time to service my reels on a regular basis whether the concern is water intrusion or sand.  I’m primarily  paying for the sealing since it reduces the frequency on required maintenance.  Having said that, I have taken advantage of the water proofing on several occasions. Of course, your needs will likely differ from mine but only you can determine what those needs/priorities are. 

1 hour ago, Mlima5 said:

I went back and forth on this for a while. Dug up a ton of old threads on this here and on other sites and finally pulled the trigger on a VSX just today. Hopefully i made the right choice. General consensus seems to be you cant go wrong with either, some people just like small things about one better than the other. Ill get a ZB eventually too but at least my feet are wet 

I did the same and purchased a torque 

Game over boys 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Id look into the Torque as stated above since you said you aren't going to get it that wet. Its a good balance of high-quality and sealing yet not built solely on sealing capabilities like a VS(X) or Zeebaas. Again it depends on your intended use, a van staal VR might be another option. A VSX and ZX are amazing reels but the premium comes from being able to drop them in sand, dunk them, skish, or wade out without worry. That's their main intention, when it comes to drag and overall selection there are better options but you won't have the sealing so its a compromise. You have to decide which way you fish and what your fishing for. A Zeebaas while slightly better imo is a more expensive reel and could take 6 months to get while a Van Staal you can order right now. But again if your not going to fish the wash, dunk it, drop it there are options that meet in the middle like a Torque, VR, as stated or Saragosa, etc. 

Edited by jk20a3

34 mins ago, bjelley said:

I mean I’m still gonna get one lol so I want to know which one I should go with 

No man it ok. This subject has been beaten to death. Might be one of the least original subjects on sol. Save your money you don’t need a vs or a zb. But if you have the funds and you like toys go for it. Good luck with your choice.