jk20a3

2021 Certate SW

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

On 09/01/2021 at 11:36 PM, scoobydoo said:

Will Daiwa service it?

They won't service the other JDM products they brought over here.

If it says hyper anywhere on the box....I won't even consiser it.

if you can recall i sent u a pm about their paint bubbling on 4 of my D's reel? Bought them for display and overtime i noticed paint bubbling on them. Sold all of them at a loss and not gonna buy any of their stuff.

1 hour ago, Tourstage said:

if you can recall i sent u a pm about their paint bubbling on 4 of my D's reel? Bought them for display and overtime i noticed paint bubbling on them. Sold all of them at a loss and not gonna buy any of their stuff.

not sure what they changed but all of my newer Daiwas have had 0 issues with paint. much better than the older daiwa reels which would lose paint completely randomly 

Daiwas paint was really bad on the 15' reels. I had a Dogfight 8K and expedition 5500 that I babied even after short outings to the point people would laugh. Both started chipping paint on the stem within a week of ownership. So far I haven't seen it on the new Saltiga but its always in the back of my mind. I really wish Alan Hawk went more indepth in his review, I understand he wanted to give a more "fishable review" but he didn't even show us an image with the side cover off and this is the guy who usually puts every part under a magnifier. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, scoobydoo said:

Will Daiwa service it?

They won't service the other JDM products they brought over here.

If it says hyper anywhere on the box....I won't even consiser it.

Hyper LMFAO

They better not seal the Certates now that would piss me off.. 

Edited by nfnDrum

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, jk20a3 said:

Daiwas paint was really bad on the 15' reels. I had a Dogfight 8K and expedition 5500 that I babied even after short outings to the point people would laugh. Both started chipping paint on the stem within a week of ownership. So far I haven't seen it on the new Saltiga but its always in the back of my mind. I really wish Alan Hawk went more indepth in his review, I understand he wanted to give a more "fishable review" but he didn't even show us an image with the side cover off and this is the guy who usually puts every part under a magnifier. 

Yes, the paint on my Expedition 5500H is fragile. I've barely used the reel and it's already missing paint from its foot.

My Catalina 4500H (2016 model, I think) has lost almost all the paint on its foot. The problem started with attaching the reel to rod - a rod with a good Fuji reel seat. Fitting the reel to the reel seat caused paint loss - the paint is this fragile. Contributing to the problem is that these reels don't fit Fuji reel seats very well. They are somehow not a very good match with the reel seats - you'd expect that they would be completely compatible. 

I don't think Alan Hawk (or Scooby) has ever mentioned the weak paintwork on Daiwa's most expensive spinning reels - and it's been a problem for a long time. 

I have a 20 Saltiga - haven't used it yet (there's something wrong with the bail arm - I'm returning it to be fixed). The paint does appear better on the new reel - though it's hard to tell just by looking at it. 

I don't think Hawk could open the 20 Saltiga, and this is why he didn't discuss its internals much. He said he'll do another review ('an engineer's review') - I suppose this will be when he has the tool required to open the reel. 

Edited by Steg
Fussing.