yogiiiboy

Let's talk Century Surf Machine.....

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Yogi,

Since you are going to be casting before you decide; throw the 12' 3/4 - 4oz Elite too.

I know it sounds too long, just try, rods like this make distance easier and since you  are planning on being there it wont cost you anything more than a few extra minutes

I have the 3/4 - 5 oz SME & absolutely love it.    I agree 100% with ZAFisher...... If you get a chance to cast the 12'  SME I would certainly give it a try. 

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Damn.....that's too much length for casting hours at a time ..............BUT, i'd be curious to try..........

I have it in 11' too

Damn.....that's too much length for casting hours at a time ..............BUT, i'd be curious to try..........

I have it in 11' too

I have it in 11' too

1 hour ago, Mike Fixter said:

I have the 3/4 - 5 oz SME & absolutely love it.    I agree 100% with ZAFisher...... If you get a chance to cast the 12'  SME I would certainly give it a try. 

41 mins ago, AFMike said:

I have it in 11' too

Sounds like a plan....but remember, i also wanna be able to "work/jerk" certain lures..........Fishability with the rod will also be important aspect which is why 10' seems about right without the rod being too short and/or too long.  Hopefully, the rods are that light for this to happen..............

On 1/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, AFMike said:

The SM is a mod/fast action blank.  Stealths are definitely moderate. Stealth will throw lower. I throw 1/2oz jig or bucky all the time. SM is just getting there with 3/4.

One thing to keep in mind, whether it's a Stealth, a SM, Demon...or any other of our rods. The blanks are designed to do the work. When casting less is more. They don't beat you up. Your fishing sessions will be extended because you won't have sore shoulders or backs.

I happen to agree with Mike as well

15 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Like I said......the shoulder issues aren’t chronic.  My casting technique also is one that Mike explained...... halfway through the cast, the rod takes over and does what it’s supposed to do.  I’m looking for that 1.5 - 2 oz. sweet spot and I believe the capability and make-up of the SM will get me out yonder the best.  I will be test casting in the near future with Mike ....so we shall see :th:

I own a Steaith and happen to agree that a moderate rod might be in your best interest. 

But let us know what rod you decide on

On 1/12/2021 at 1:14 AM, LockedDrag said:

If you have shoulder issues, I wouldn’t recommend a faster rod personally. It actually wears you out pretty fast from casting and fighting fish. A more moderate rod would load easier. Less taxing on the body. Loads easier. Throws farther with less effort (got out casted by a guy on the edge of retirement. I’m 30) his 1201mGSB vs my legend 11’

I find that the fast/moderate action is less taxing on the shoulder. I find that the fast/mod action casts farther than parabolic with less effort. I have Sling Shots and they are very light and cast a mile with very little effort. I can cast a Sling Shot all day long, whereas a GSB wears me out quickly. 

12 mins ago, Objection said:

I find that the fast/moderate action is less taxing on the shoulder. I find that the fast/mod action casts farther than parabolic with less effort. I have Sling Shots and they are very light and cast a mile with very little effort. I can cast a Sling Shot all day long, whereas a GSB wears me out quickly. 

Well there is the weight difference in the rods if you are comparing those two particular rods lol I whip my casts so my wrist and forearm starts hurting after a while on my faster rods. I don’t notice much of a distance difference between faster vs. moderate rods when I use minimal effort but when it comes to whipping as hard as I can I see the difference

On 1/16/2021 at 10:48 AM, nchit said:

The SM is a completely different animal compared to the SME 

I have the 12' SME 3/4-5 cut down to 11'3" and it's a treat to cast for long sessions

Maybe @AFMike can chime is on this and tell us why this is again.  I believe he has already but my understanding is the only difference between the two is the graphene component that the Elite model has......which, to my understanding, only has to do with durability and not rod's distance capability.    :shrug:

4 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Maybe @AFMike can chime is on this and tell us why this is again.  I believe he has already but my understanding is the only difference between the two is the graphene component that the Elite model has......which, to my understanding, only has to do with durability and not rod's distance capability.    :shrug:

The standard SMs have a faster taper than the Elites. 

The Elites have every bit of technology that Century possesses,  graphene,  entire blank has textreme finish,  autoclave and AntiTwist technology.  The Elites,  in particular the 3/4-4 and 3/4-5 are a bit more moderate,  the 1-6 and 2-8 are mod-fast in action. 

The standard SMs are mod-fast in action,  have a faster taper and have 3/4 length textreme.  While they are an awesome blank the Elites are very next level.  It's very hard to get a true idea without casting them to see the differences. 

Since the Spring shows have been canceled we will be doing a number of demos so everyone has the opportunity to see what they are all about.