yogiiiboy

Let's talk Century Surf Machine.....

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I plan on visiting Mike down in Cape May County, NJ during the off season to have one of these made.  I've read some of the research on the site and want to continue to see from those out there who own this rod what their opinions still are on owning one.  I am looking for the lightest, strongest 10' surf rod that has the capability to give me maximum distance with a lure range approximately from say 3/4-4 ounces for open beach surfcasting.  I own a first generation Sling Shot and have no complaints....looking for later model from the Century line and have had my eye on this Surf Machine for a while.  With having a slight shoulder issue also, I believe the SM has the mechanics of helping with easier casts that can reach maximum distances.

I'd appreciate all the info anyone is willing to offer.  Thanks.

Edited by yogiiiboy

I have this rod and def love fishing it for certain applications. 

Its a true 1-5 oz rating and shines at 2-3 oz, and if you like putting muscle into your cast and throwing metals and sinking poppers in that weight range then it’s a missile launcher and equally as smooth in working plugs. 

It’s light in weight with respect to other rod models that can handle the advertised rating of 1-5, but it’s def got some beef so it’s not gonna be quite as light as most high end 10 footers rated to 4 oz...with that said it has no problem throwing 4+. 

It’s a true moderate/fast and you will know it when fighting a fish, as I generally prefer a slightly more moderate bend. 

Love it for bigger heavier stuff (not metal lips) and into a stiff wind, but for most of my fishing, I generally only take it out with me when I’m committed to this type of scenario, plug style, and plug weight. 

Also has a nice durable finish which is a plus.  All in all a great rod, but for me it has more of a specific application and use. 

4 hours ago, Frank5 said:

I have this rod and def love fishing it for certain applications. 

Its a true 1-5 oz rating and shines at 2-3 oz, and if you like putting muscle into your cast and throwing metals and sinking poppers in that weight range then it’s a missile launcher and equally as smooth in working plugs. 

It’s light in weight with respect to other rod models that can handle the advertised rating of 1-5, but it’s def got some beef so it’s not gonna be quite as light as most high end 10 footers rated to 4 oz...with that said it has no problem throwing 4+. 

It’s a true moderate/fast and you will know it when fighting a fish, as I generally prefer a slightly more moderate bend. 

Love it for bigger heavier stuff (not metal lips) and into a stiff wind, but for most of my fishing, I generally only take it out with me when I’m committed to this type of scenario, plug style, and plug weight. 

Also has a nice durable finish which is a plus.  All in all a great rod, but for me it has more of a specific application and use. 

Thanks so much for your insight Frank.  I was looking at more or less the 3/4 - 4 oz. lighter version of the SM.  Would you say it works the lower end of its ratings well also?  I very rarely go over 3 oz......so wondering if this lighter rating has a sweet spot in that 2-2.5 oz. range ?

Thanks for your help!

12 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Thanks so much for your insight Frank.  I was looking at more or less the 3/4 - 4 oz. lighter version of the SM.  Would you say it works the lower end of its ratings well also?  I very rarely go over 3 oz......so wondering if this lighter rating has a sweet spot in that 2-2.5 oz. range ?

Thanks for your help!

To my knowledge: the only 10’ surf machine model is rated .75-4 oz, but there is a 9’ rated .75-4 oz. 

The 10’ can throw down .75 oz perfectly fine but it doesn’t excel at that weight. 

10 hours ago, Frank5 said:

To my knowledge: the only 10’ surf machine model is rated .75-4 oz, but there is a 9’ rated .75-4 oz. 

The 10’ can throw down .75 oz perfectly fine but it doesn’t excel at that weight. 

There is a 10' 3/4-4 and  10' 1-5

If you have shoulder issues, I wouldn’t recommend a faster rod personally. It actually wears you out pretty fast from casting and fighting fish. A more moderate rod would load easier. Less taxing on the body. Loads easier. Throws farther with less effort (got out casted by a guy on the edge of retirement. I’m 30) his 1201mGSB vs my legend 11’

9 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

If you have shoulder issues, I wouldn’t recommend a faster rod personally. It actually wears you out pretty fast from casting and fighting fish. A more moderate rod would load easier. Less taxing on the body. Loads easier. Throws farther with less effort (got out casted by a guy on the edge of retirement. I’m 30) his 1201mGSB vs my legend 11’

Understood...........Shoulder issues aren't chronic but can arise from time to time.  I start out steady when casting ....then, gradually increase power as we go. :th: :th:

12 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

I would ask Mike to comment on the Surf Machine vs Stealth action. I have Stealth, and it is indeed a moderate rod. 

12 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

exactly 

1 hour ago, Mbrody said:

I would ask Mike to comment on the Surf Machine vs Stealth action. I have Stealth, and it is indeed a moderate rod. 

The SM is a mod/fast action blank.  Stealths are definitely moderate. Stealth will throw lower. I throw 1/2oz jig or bucky all the time. SM is just getting there with 3/4.

One thing to keep in mind, whether it's a Stealth, a SM, Demon...or any other of our rods. The blanks are designed to do the work. When casting less is more. They don't beat you up. Your fishing sessions will be extended because you won't have sore shoulders or backs.

1 hour ago, AFMike said:

The SM is a mod/fast action blank.  Stealths are definitely moderate. Stealth will throw lower. I throw 1/2oz jig or bucky all the time. SM is just getting there with 3/4.

One thing to keep in mind, whether it's a Stealth, a SM, Demon...or any other of our rods. The blanks are designed to do the work. When casting less is more. They don't beat you up. Your fishing sessions will be extended because you won't have sore shoulders or backs.

This is true and often not understood; technique wins over power for distance. 

10 hours ago, Mbrody said:

10 hours ago, Lou T said:

exactly 

Like I said......the shoulder issues aren’t chronic.  My casting technique also is one that Mike explained...... halfway through the cast, the rod takes over and does what it’s supposed to do.  I’m looking for that 1.5 - 2 oz. sweet spot and I believe the capability and make-up of the SM will get me out yonder the best.  I will be test casting in the near future with Mike ....so we shall see :th:

Yogi,

Since you are going to be casting before you decide; throw the 12' 3/4 - 4oz Elite too.

I know it sounds too long, just try, rods like this make distance easier and since you  are planning on being there it wont cost you anything more than a few extra minutes

9 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Yogi,

Since you are going to be casting before you decide; throw the 12' 3/4 - 4oz Elite too.

I know it sounds too long, just try, rods like this make distance easier and since you  are planning on being there it wont cost you anything more than a few extra minutes

Damn.....that's too much length for casting hours at a time ..............BUT, i'd be curious to try..........