Sevendust111

The hunt for winter white perch

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I need to find a spot I can walk to that I can catch grass shrimp.   The river I like to fish has tons of spots but without a boat it can be deathtrap.   

I remember DoorGunner posting he caught tons with a drop net and menhaden.   So maybe I can get some in a trap. 

Find a nice quiet hole, trap some shrimp and maybe the shrimp attract the perch.   Be a productive day. 

Did a little search, reread the entire thread a fine thing on a chilly evening.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/779182-just-about-finished/

That is a great thread.   

I'd love to hang around with DG and other old timers.  I used to when I was a kid (other old timers)but life got in the way as I got older. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

9 hours ago, ACFishing said:

Do you guys use bobber rigs or is it more ideal to be using a weight/splitshot setup?

For jigs? I use a float and a split shot. 
for bait I tie hi low rigs. I find they are pretty deep. Or near the bottom. If they aren’t that’s what the float and jig are for, but I still have about 5-6ft under the float. 

One of my favorite river winter holes for perch is maybe three miles west of the state freshwater line, and four or fives times that from the mouth/bay . 

I've never believed that salinity plays a part with them in the winter at least.  

6 hours ago, Gully said:

this works w jigs or your favorite bait of choice...  

I was just about to ask about this. I only use bobbers with my kid for exactly the the reason he stated in the beginning of the vid. How do you work a jig with them, just reel it along?

Edited by Sevendust111

6 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

I was just about to ask about this. I only use bobbers with my kid for exactly the the reason he stated in the beginning of the vid. How do you work a jig with them, just reel it along?

What I do is pull & drop.  

12 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

So many ways to fish it I really enjoy using slip bobbers. If there’s chop I just let the wave action move my jig. If it’s calm I jig the rod and the float sort of like using a popping cork. Pop pop pop pause. My absolute favorite way if the conditions allow, is to let the float drift down the current with the bail open, and close the bail as soon as the float goes down. It’s a fun way to fish.

Looking for perch yesterday I caught a dozen but all were shorter than 8” and I really want fish 10” or bigger. On nightcrawlers and hi low rigs. I am having trouble finding bigger ones so far. I did catch another 20” striper. Since I’ve been experimenting with little circle hooks I haven’t gut hooked anything. Even the little catfish. I’m going to stick with them I think 

Edited by BobBass

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

@BobBass what size hooks?  I got some 8s recently.  Thinking powerbait trout fishing with my kids. But I also got some 1s for sw panfish. 

These are tiny perch that hooked themselves on size 8 circle hooks. I since moved to 6 because I felt like I was missing some. Even size 6 gamakatsu hooks were strong enough to handle a 22” striper. Threading the dropper loop is tricky but I use a spare piece of mono to pull it through the small eye. 

43F0AAA8-C606-4BB8-A08A-C1B2D9A7C851.jpeg

:th:  i think I have size 6 & 4 coming. 

I have a hard time with fine motor skills due to nerve damage in my hands.   

Lately, I've switched to mortician rigs instead of dropper loops.  @FishinMortician

It's been working really well for me.  And I wish I saw it sooner.  Would have saved alot of time and frustration!

I pretie all the things I plan on using. Store them in a leader wallet type binder (I use a CD case)  

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

:th:  i think I have size 6 & 4 coming. 

I have a hard time with fine motor skills due to nerve damage in my hands.   

Lately, I've switched to mortician rigs instead of dropper loops.  @FishinMortician

It's been working really well for me.  And I wish I saw it sooner.  Would have saved alot of time and frustration!

I pretie all the things I plan on using. Store them in a leader wallet type binder (I use a CD case)  

I pretie too. I can barely see the line. For the first time I'm considering reading glasses :eek: