Sevendust111

The hunt for winter white perch

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BobBass said:

Your spiked rod should be for perch. Just use bait, it's the best way to figure out where they are. If you find some you can stop using it and start jigging. They school so tightly that blindly casting a jig may not be the best approach when exploring and trying to dial them in on tides and depth- at least to start so you can figure out when to jig. I caught a dozen or so on size 6 and 8 circle hooks using bloods and crawlers (i kept 2). For the jig under the float, try to get pretty deep. Cold water fishing is low and slow.

The rod was spiked with a ball of red worms on a treble so that in case the perch were around they would hit on that too. Have done well with perch and worms before.

Had little success with them in the past but I generally fish by Toms River for them, are they catching any now? Im dying to get out there for them also do you guys do a bait rod and a jig rod?

I’m so glad Sevendust111 started this thread. I’ve been thinking about launching the kayak one day to try for perch. Never tried for them before. Pretty sure I’ve seen them in the graph, just didn’t have the gear while striper fishing.

9 hours ago, ACFishing said:

Had little success with them in the past but I generally fish by Toms River for them, are they catching any now? Im dying to get out there for them also do you guys do a bait rod and a jig rod?

I have tried, but when the school moves in and the bite picks up you’ll be catching every cast on your bait rod and it might be annoying to constantly have to rapidly reel the jig in over and over. When the school moves in its hard to keep up with two bait rods 

Edited by BobBass

1 hour ago, BobBass said:

I have tried, but when the school moves in and the bite picks up you’ll be catching every cast on your bait rod and it might be annoying to constantly have to rapidly reel the jig in over and over. When the school moves in its hard to keep up with two bait rods 

Interesting, Do you know if they are in the area now? Im thinking of heading out for some tomorrow possibly

24 mins ago, ACFishing said:

Interesting, Do you know if they are in the area now? Im thinking of heading out for some tomorrow possibly

Totally in the area. They actually never left. They are still in the heavier brackish areas and not so much closer to the freshwater yet. (As of last week)

I have been going off the grid for them, tracing rivers from bays on google maps and trying to find legal access points. It’s been a fun time getting away from any crowds. I’ve even accidentally interacted with several 28” stripers as a result. I use circle hooks for my perch in case that happens. 

Edited by BobBass

20 mins ago, BobBass said:

Totally in the area. They actually never left. They are still in the heavier brackish areas and not so much closer to the freshwater yet. (As of last week)

I have been going off the grid for them, tracing rivers from bays on google maps and trying to find legal access points. It’s been a fun time getting away from any crowds. I’ve even accidentally interacted with several 28” stripers as a result. I use circle hooks for my perch in case that happens. 

Do they migrate more towards fresh? If so, when? I’ve been mostly hitting more towards fresh so far so maybe I’ll journey closer towards the bay if I get out this weekend. Also how does tide affect the bite? Should I be focusing more on high tide?

12 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

Do they migrate more towards fresh? If so, when? I’ve been mostly hitting more towards fresh so far so maybe I’ll journey closer towards the bay if I get out this weekend. Also how does tide affect the bite? Should I be focusing more on high tide?

Was about to ask the same thing

26 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Wonder if they respond to chum from shore.  

Just to maybe stack things in your favor a little.  

I have tossed a bunch of dead frozen grass shrimp in the water to end my fishing trip, and have caught them on jigs in the spot I just chummed for about 5 minutes. They seem to get to the freshwater during the early spring late winter, but it isn’t a hard and fast rule, I’m just regurgitating what a bait shop told me at this point. I’ve caught them everywhere from the bays to the dams every season. 

I personally have found they start biting at the slower currents and more at slack low. But I think it’s more of a matter of current not ripping. This is just my experience however. I’m still learning. They also are concentrated in the deepest part of the channel. But unfortunately so are thousands of 8 inch channel catfish. 

There’s some fun by-catches to he had. Besides stripers, I have caught decent yellow perch, crappie (yes in brackish water) and largemouth bass when targeting perch. 

Edited by BobBass

1 hour ago, BobBass said:

I have tossed a bunch of dead frozen grass shrimp in the water to end my fishing trip, and have caught them on jigs in the spot I just chummed for about 5 minutes. They seem to get to the freshwater during the early spring late winter, but it isn’t a hard and fast rule, I’m just regurgitating what a bait shop told me at this point. I’ve caught them everywhere from the bays to the dams every season. 

I personally have found they start biting at the slower currents and more at slack low. But I think it’s more of a matter of current not ripping. This is just my experience however. I’m still learning. They also are concentrated in the deepest part of the channel. But unfortunately so are thousands of 8 inch channel catfish. 

There’s some fun by-catches to he had. Besides stripers, I have caught decent yellow perch, crappie (yes in brackish water) and largemouth bass when targeting perch. 

I need to find a spot I can walk to that I can catch grass shrimp.   The river I like to fish has tons of spots but without a boat it can be deathtrap.   

I remember DoorGunner posting he caught tons with a drop net and menhaden.   So maybe I can get some in a trap. 

Find a nice quiet hole, trap some shrimp and maybe the shrimp attract the perch.   Be a productive day. 

3 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I need to find a spot I can walk to that I can catch grass shrimp.   The river I like to fish has tons of spots but without a boat it can be deathtrap.   

I remember DoorGunner posting he caught tons with a drop net and menhaden.   So maybe I can get some in a trap. 

Find a nice quiet hole, trap some shrimp and maybe the shrimp attract the perch.   Be a productive day. 

I’ve always bought them, are they active in the winter?

1 min ago, BobBass said:

I’ve always bought them, are they active in the winter?

From DGs thread yes.   He caught them heavily all winter.   Then poof. Gone. 

It's somewhere in the NJ section

Edited by PSegnatelli

never hadany luck getting many in a trap ..I always get a few in a minnow trap as bi catch .but they are the small chum size  never the gray  bait size .

I aways used a scene [8] ft  ...but like everything else they arn,t around here as much anymore  & with age  I can,t work the marsh / mud  & night time

also have used the long handle dip net we used to catch herring when that was allowed ><><.