Sevendust111

The hunt for winter white perch

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

They are pretty aggressive so keep moving until you find them.  They are a school fish so once you find them note the time and tide as they will likely move to that local again and again.

Keep moving around and you will find them at all different depths and currents.

A float and fly type set up with a light jig is deadly btw

Posted (edited) · Report post

From shore I like 8 ft crappie rod 4lb tst. I got out fished by an old guy yesterday, he had small white paddle tail on 1/16 jig! All I had was twister tails of every color, the WP liked his, the Pickerel liked mine! Perch are fun but 22” Pics on 4lb tst is more fun! The pics were getting air and pissed off! They also liked weed less sluggos along weed lines! Had 2 small Crappie slip floatin salty tubes. I have caught many WP on white twister tails but not yesterday! Look for holes at the mouth and deep bends of creeks or rivers..

Edited by libertyminded

1 hour ago, libertyminded said:

From shore I like 8 ft crappie rod 4lb tst. I got out fished by an old guy yesterday, he had small white paddle tail on 1/16 jig! All I had was twister tails of every color, the WP liked his, the Pickerel liked mine! Perch are fun but 22” Pics on 4lb tst is more fun! The pics were getting air and pissed off! They also liked weed less sluggos along weed lines! Had 2 small Crappie slip floatin salty tubes. I have caught many WP on white twister tails but not yesterday! Look for holes at the mouth and deep bends of creeks or rivers..

I don’t have a trout or crappie rod anymore. So I’m using my LMB setup. It’s a 6‘8” m/xf “wacky”  mojo bass paired with a Fuego LT 2500 and 10lb power pro. Obviously it’s a little overkill but I’ve caught plenty of WP with it. 

You still catching pickerel? My son and I do a lot of pic fishing in the spring and early summer. Once the ponds  and small lakes by our house get too weeded up we move on and typically those weeds are still there all fall. However they have died off by now but I’ve never given them a shot in the winter.

Edited by Sevendust111

Once again Bring up memories. I will just say Years of Long ago. WE fished for White Perch ( Salt WATER ) In a Man Made Cove on the East side of the GPS that was formed when the Garden State was Constructed over a River "South Jersey"  It was when the area was Frozen Safe. The Fish would School up big time. Used Grass Shrimp Baby Kellies only one place to buy them in the area till some young lady's  began selling them and Coffee -Hot Dogs. Chop a hole drop to bottom Reel up a bit do all again till they were located. They were in the 8- 10 inch Range where they have been known for 19 inchers. It was Safer on Cloudy days The Sun would soon turn the Ice some 8 10 thick Soft & Dangerous. The one road in would melt & turn into Mud many got stuck.  Fun Fact East of the GSP was considered Fresh water but NJ Residents did not need a License as many from PA got summons :hooked:Once it got well known & more fished there Game Wardens would Check often. WE did for about 6 years till It only lasted a few years after  for me as it would never freeze up safe enough. Most were full of Roe and were great eating right on the Spot Fried up on My Colman we used to warm up and make Coffee.  Never fished any place else for them but accidently Caught years later while Flounder Fishing In MOC River from a Boat. 

image_gallery.jpg

Once again Bring up memories. Have to add Spots areas were they are found are kept secret for obvious reasons  Do some research Explore Tag along ask Questions   They are after all a Fresh water Fish Brackish at best ID and Artificials   and Likely spot

2020-12-38-white-perch-wintertime-option-4.jpg

2019-3-late-winter-white-perch-COOLER-OF-FISH.jpg

download.jpg

2019-3-late-winter-white-perch-back.jpg

1 hour ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Once again Bring up memories. Have to add Spots areas were they are found are kept secret for obvious reasons  Do some research Explore Tag along ask Questions   They are after all a Fresh water Fish Brackish at best ID and Artificials   and Likely spot

2020-12-38-white-perch-wintertime-option-4.jpg

2019-3-late-winter-white-perch-COOLER-OF-FISH.jpg

download.jpg

2019-3-late-winter-white-perch-back.jpg

What size paddle tails are those?

Collins cove, sad to say more lost access. They closed the road in with a gate and a sign saying closed do to trash and fires! Walk in access only! Which hunters are ignoring.. 

12 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

What size paddle tails are those?

Size to Suit I started with on the small sizes and work up There is Lake in MOC I fished Mister Twister Tails White did Fine Like everything else Trail Error. My Fishing Days are Few now but when I do I have used the Trout Crappy Magnets and Caught Very Small Fish up tp 5 LB LMB 3 Lb Trout 

You Heard size matters so does variety meaning The Color of the day and Moment My Choice when available is Live Bait  Fat Heads Small Minnows Shiners Baby Killies. Cast Jig Slow retrieve Read winter the action attracts Good Luck are they considered evasive in CT  

23 mins ago, libertyminded said:

sad to say more lost access. They closed the road in with a gate and a sign saying closed do to trash and fires! Walk in access only! Which hunters are ignoring.. 

Guess it is not spot burning if you can not get there but for a Boat.  Being as it Was -IS State Game Lands like so many Close do to Slobs and Bucket Sitters are the Worse offenders.  Compendia Amigo, :rav:   

Another Spot not Burning since once good now Destroyed from hurricanes Draining Pollution  Over Engineering of Sluice In out take  Once a Herring and White Perch fishery   Wreck Pond Spring Lake. :banghd:  as Most of the Coastal Lakes and Ponds that had access to open Ocean Sad.

Took some advice and bought some shad darts and crappie tails. Went to a half dozen spots over the past two days including a spot that produced for me earlier in the season. No dice. Even  brought a 2nd rod to spike for cat fishing. 

@Sevendust111 beats staying home.    

Did u tip the darts with anything?  

I've got some clam necks in the freezer.  I was thinkin of splitting them open then salting them.  Do a little clam strip on the jig

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

@Sevendust111 beats staying home.    

Did u tip the darts with anything?  

I've got some clam necks in the freezer.  I was thinkin of splitting them open then salting them.  Do a little clam strip on the jig

Yeah I went to Dick’s and got those small red worms because they were out of nightcrawlers. Cutting them in half or even using a full one was the perfect size for the medium size shad dart.

18 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

Took some advice and bought some shad darts and crappie tails. Went to a half dozen spots over the past two days including a spot that produced for me earlier in the season. No dice. Even  brought a 2nd rod to spike for cat fishing. 

Your spiked rod should be for perch. Just use bait, it's the best way to figure out where they are. If you find some you can stop using it and start jigging. They school so tightly that blindly casting a jig may not be the best approach when exploring and trying to dial them in on tides and depth- at least to start so you can figure out when to jig. I caught a dozen or so on size 6 and 8 circle hooks using bloods and crawlers (i kept 2). For the jig under the float, try to get pretty deep. Cold water fishing is low and slow.

Edited by BobBass