Sevendust111

The hunt for winter white perch

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just finished cleaning my surf gear so I’m done with bass til spring. I wanna start fishing year-round. I’m pretty far away from any sort of freshwater lake trout, so I’m thinking white perch. I have a pretty decent LMB set up to accomplish this.

Going to try to be as general as possible and say that I’m going to target the Raritan and it’s tidal creeks. Any suggestions on hard/soft structure to look for? I know they stack up in the winter. Also any suggestions for what sort of lures I should be using?

Had an awesome spot for them in the late spring/early summer. My son and I used fresh water 1/8-1/4oz rooster tails with a tiny piece of nigh-crawler on the treble and slayed them but they’re long gone now.

Edited by Sevendust111

This is a great post. I never fished for them in the winter and I’m itching to do some calm river fishing when it’s blowing out front. I watched a couple vids online and it looks like a blast on ultralite. 

tried one time a few years ago from shore with no success, but plan on giving it a go this year 

boat guys have plenty of spots in the rivers.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, Bigfishy85 said:

Had them all summer just south of confluence

Thanks but thats like 45mins from my house. I was thinking more around where the river and bay meet so way south of where your at.

I don't know that area, but am born and raised on the Toms River and have ben catching them from day one. In the winter they ball up so tight they will black out a depthfinder, if you can find the hole they are in. They do move with the tides.  If yer lucky enough to find a hole near enough to shore/wading. then you can catch them if they are there, without bait. 

I've used everything over the years, and now in the winter only carry jig heads and curly tail grubs for the most part.

Always a few little white maribou pink head jigs....

Jig head sizes from 1/16 oz. to 1/4 in colors, and curly tail grubs in every color I can get. But I usually only use white, yellow, and chartreuse. Grub sizes up to 2" .

Be aware, that small stripers will often be schooled with them, and stripers are not legal to target or catch in the closed season. Release immediately, unharmed. 

5' to 6' ultralight spinning rods are best. 4 - 6 # test line. 

Have fun. 

Bring this back up in the spring and we can talk about fly fishing the flats for them :D 

2 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

I don't know that area, but am born and raised on the Toms River and have ben catching them from day one. In the winter they ball up so tight they will black out a depthfinder, if you can find the hole they are in. They do move with the tides.  If yer lucky enough to find a hole near enough to shore/wading. then you can catch them if they are there, without bait. 

I've used everything over the years, and now in the winter only carry jig heads and curly tail grubs for the most part.

Jig head sizes from 1/16 oz. to 1/4 in colors, and curly tail grubs in every color I can get. But I usually only use white, yellow, and chartreuse. Grub sizes up to 2" .

Be aware, that small stripers will often be schooled with them, and stripers are not legal to target or catch in the closed season. Release immediately, unharmed. 

Have fun. 

Bring this back up in the spring and we can talk about fly fishing the flats for them :D 

So looking for deep holes is best? Was thinking about sticking to small bridges. 

2 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Have fun. 

Agree on the tackle. I use freshwater trout gear. And yes, schoolies will mix in with them. 

28 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

So looking for deep holes is best? Was thinking about sticking to small bridges. 

There's always deeper water around bridges, and eddy's if yer lucky. 

Also, faster moving water....