ByronPA

Will the attack bring unity?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

13 mins ago, ridenfish said:

The irony of you posting this is off the charts. Coming form someone celebrating the death of an unarmed teenager. 

She is no different than a 16 year old Al Qaeda.  Just as blast worthy. No different. Enemies of the State in the midst of an attack on the State get delivered fresh get hot lead by patriotic Americans. 

The more I think about it, the better the shoot gets. Thank you. 

Edited by Cpalms

No way this brings unity. And politicians are usually the first people to call for unity, then the first people to point fingers. So they are lousy examples to use.

Posted (edited)

I don't think this is the end of MAGA at all.

President Trump's messages today, his tweets, demonstrate that he will never, never, never stop insisting that the election was stolen from him. He says he won by a landslide. That's what his ego demands, a landslide, and that utterly unconscious lying that characterizes sociopaths isn't going to change. His craving for attention will never change. He will continue, after departing the White House, to pursue his grievance. His followers share it and will not relinquish it. They want no part of a unified America, they want to dominate those who disagree with them. But for Trump's mishandling of the epidemic, they'd have gotten what they wanted.

What I think likely is that as time goes on, the pandemic subsides and the economy recovers, that Trump will simply matter less. His base will follow him from Twitter and FaceBook to Parler and 8 chan, but the big online media have had enough of him. Once out of office, his lies will be flagged more and more often, if not deleted outright. With time, the base will slowly shrink. As it shrinks, the GOP will be further diminished by a civil war. Trump  wannabees will fight with Trump rivals and enemies; who owns the Party? The big-donor class that largely stayed away from Trump this November will not come back. They liked his tax cuts, but now they see him as an agent of chaos, which is bad for business. They don't want a Trump clone either.

Trump has politicized the epidemic. He made resistance to wearing masks a sign of allegiance. He will continue to hold rallies, and his supporters will be unmasked too. This will help keep the epidemic going. He will demand that Republicans everywhere show their loyalty to him by opposing everything, no matter how basic and minimal, that Biden seeks to do. If he could prevent Biden from so much as having a single Cabinet nominee confirmed, he would. That's where the day's events really matter; Trump has lost the ability to command the Senate to Obstruct Everything. The Senate is now evenly divided. Cabinet nominations will proceed in semi-civilized fashion.* The occupation of the Capitol by Trump supporters put a scare into the GOP; this is not the kind of optics the Party likes. Trump's own cavalier treatment of fellow Republicans, from McConnell on down to local officials, has made him a lot of quiet enemies. They will no longer have to bow and scrape and eagerly beg his favor. They'll be able to return his insults by ignoring him.

* I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Merrick Garland sits down for an interview with Senator McConnell. Tension in the air, maybe?

Edited by BrianBM

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Merrick Garland sits down for an interview with Senator McConnell. Tension in the air, maybe?

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they show up to arrest Obama. 

Who, me? You must be looking for Mike. 

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

Dream on. The kraken has another two weeks to surface. Do you think it will?

Very soon. You didn't read my overly long post earlier, or you would know. 

30 mins ago, Cpalms said:

She is no different than a 16 year old Al Qaeda.  Just as blast worthy. No different. Enemies of the State in the midst of an attack on the State get delivered fresh get hot lead by patriotic Americans. 

The more I think about it, the better the shoot gets. Thank you. 

Which 16-y.o. are you happy to see shot?

Posted (edited)

Which 16-y.o. are you happy to see shot?

The one that stormed the Capitol building. 

and dont out words in my mouth, I never said happy. 

Edited by Cpalms

1 hour ago, Finster said:

I have no interest in coming together with the extremists on either side...

Agree 100%, couldn’t have said it better myself. 

Posted (edited)

8 mins ago, BrianBM said:

She was wearing a bomb, about to open fire on Congress?

She was in the process storming the Capitol building while Congress was in session. The policeman did not have the benefit of your sober hindsight you have now.  He did what he had to do. How did the policeman know what she was armed with? 

Edited by Cpalms

Ahh, the deceased is a 16-y.o.?  No different from al-Queda? She was wearing a bomb, about to open fire on Congress?

In fairness, yes, she could have been. If she had been black, holding something in her hand, running at a police office after having been told to stop.............

Of course, I have no idea how the shooting transpired, and no doubt a very sad situation. But, for the time being, a necessary shot.. 

1 hour ago, ByronPA said:

Yes, a shame someone was shot, more of a shame that so many LEO were injured, even more of a shame that radicals managed to storm the capital building.

But, will it help bring unity? 

I mean, already, mainstream Republicans are going out of their way to get on air and denounce the actions of the terrorists. Other than our current leader, I have yet to hear any Republicans (politicians) at all come out in support of what happened..  How many (politicians) were ready to vote against President Biden this morning? How many will vote against him now?

Of course there will always be the whack job extremists, but I think once the smoke settles this attack on our Country will help bring us all together.. 

And where is Ted Cruz, is he OK?

Is it a shame LEOs were injured? Where were you last year saying that lol?

I don't know. I'm asking. Teen girls are not normally a highly dangerous demographic. Was she armed? Some of the protestors were. If she was armed when you came in through a smashed door or window, I'm not surprised.

No one here has said that she was or wasn't armed. I don't know.