CWitek

DEC releases proposed new circle hook rules

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

No surprises.

They seem to be including the definition of "natural bait" in the saltwater regulations, not merely applying the freshwater definition to saltwater fisheries, so if you want to comment on the proposal, here's yiour chance to defend pork rind.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/104195.html

Edited by CWitek

Section 40.1(g)(2)(i) (i) Recreational anglers are required to use a non-offset circle hook when fishing for striped bass with any natural bait. Striped bass caught on any other type of hook baited with natural bait must be returned to the water immediately without unnecessary injury.

This sounds like a J hook and/or offset circle using bait is still permitted so long as the fish is released unharmed. So if you intend to catch & release, a bucktail with pork rind is ok?

Edited by Fishtale7

1 hour ago, Fishtale7 said:

Section 40.1(g)(2)(i) (i) Recreational anglers are required to use a non-offset circle hook when fishing for striped bass with any natural bait. Striped bass caught on any other type of hook baited with natural bait must be returned to the water immediately without unnecessary injury.

This sounds like a J hook and/or offset circle using bait is still permitted so long as the fish is released unharmed. So if you intend to catch & release, a bucktail with pork rind is ok?

That is saying if you target a different species with bait and j-hooks, and catch a striped bass as "bycatch", it must be released. 

8 mins ago, C.Robin said:

That is saying if you target a different species with bait and j-hooks, and catch a striped bass as "bycatch", it must be released. 

The term "bycatch" does not exist in the regulations as decreed. A lawyer would have a field day with that. Leave it to the government to eff up, take the fun out, and confuse something so simple as fishing. It's actually stated twice. The first in my post above, and again in this line item...

A new paragraph 10.1(c)(9) is added to read as follows:

(9) A non-offset circle hook, as defined in 19.1(a)(4) of this Title, is required when fishing for striped bass when using any natural bait, as defined in paragraph 19.1(a)(2) of this Title. Striped bass caught on any other type of hook baited with natural bait must be returned to the water immediately without unnecessary injury.

Nor do any of these confusing regulations say a fine or any other consequence to be imposed. 

Edited by Fishtale7

9 mins ago, Tucker 63 said:

I feel like I'm in school again, re reading the it over a few times and still being confused

Government intervention at it's best, lol. What yak (new outback)? and where do you launch??

Edited by Fishtale7

5 mins ago, Tucker 63 said:

19 outback and launch around hempstead harbor area

Ah, north shore. I'm launching on south shore. Do you require a a residential permit for your launch? I'm looking for new places to explore. 

8 hours ago, C.Robin said:

These rules are impossible to regulate so why even make them....They cant even stop guys from leaving the jetty with garbage bags full of schoolies and bluefish.

Edited by IslandSurf

11 hours ago, Fishtale7 said:

No.  “Required to use a non-offset circle hook when fishing for striped bass with any natural bait” is the key language.  The release requirement is just to protect you if a bass picks up the squid that you’re drifting for fluke.

10 hours ago, Fishtale7 said:

The term "bycatch" does not exist in the regulations as decreed. A lawyer would have a field day with that. Leave it to the government to eff up, take the fun out, and confuse something so simple as fishing. It's actually stated twice. The first in my post above, and again in this line item...

A new paragraph 10.1(c)(9) is added to read as follows:

(9) A non-offset circle hook, as defined in 19.1(a)(4) of this Title, is required when fishing for striped bass when using any natural bait, as defined in paragraph 19.1(a)(2) of this Title. Striped bass caught on any other type of hook baited with natural bait must be returned to the water immediately without unnecessary injury.

Nor do any of these confusing regulations say a fine or any other consequence to be imposed. 

No, I’m a lawyer, and the language is completely clear.

Fines are covered in a general provision that covers any violation of DEC rules.

4 hours ago, CWitek said:

Fines are covered in a general provision that covers any violation of DEC rules.

That is another thing

Those fines are joke and they should be increased  

At least 3x than now.

10 mins ago, Popasilov said:

That is another thing

Those fines are joke and they should be increased  

At least 3x than now.

100% agreed.

If penalties, considered in conjunction with the likelihood of being caught violating the rules, aren't sufficient to deter bad behavior, the regulations lose much of their purpose.

Fishing with no license on lake Mead in Nevada and Arizona was a Federal offense when I lived there.

I would love to see that here.