waderman1

NJ Window Tinting Laws

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

On January 13, 2021 at 7:58 PM, 40shades-of-blue said:

Yeah I feel like I have seen a lot more cars with dark tint. Some so dark it must be really hard to see at night. I don’t get the point of it. Just so people can’t see you or what’s in your car? It seems like the majority of the people that have it drive like aggressive impatient ***holes.

Exactly. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:22 AM, waderman1 said:

I can't find the answer I want on the internet so I am reaching out to my fellow SOLs....

:headscratch: My Goggle Search   ( tinted window laws in NJ )  produced dozens of Links from past years to 2020. The Laws is very clear :shrug: 

One exception is a Medical one.--- Like getting a Handy Cap Pass. By a Doctor that can be turned down as many are. 

Essex County has the most violations, :airquote:  But Un Officially the law is loosely enforced.  

All factory tints are Legal since they follow Nationally accepted l guide Lines. 

Windshield -----------------NO

Front Sides ----------------NO

Rear Sides ----------------YES    

Rear Window--------------YES 

2020 Tint Levels 

Front----70%

Sides--- 60% 

Sound confusing do the search,

NJ $45,fine  per offence. 

tint.png

On 1/13/2021 at 7:58 PM, 40shades-of-blue said:

Yeah I feel like I have seen a lot more cars with dark tint. Some so dark it must be really hard to see at night. I don’t get the point of it. Just so people can’t see you or what’s in your car? It seems like the majority of the people that have it drive like aggressive impatient ***holes.

Agreed, and how would you like to be a cop approaching blackened glass, could be someone inside drawn down on you and you have no clue. Make the fine $500.

3 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Agreed, and how would you like to be a cop approaching blackened glass, could be someone inside drawn down on you and you have no clue. Make the fine $500.

From the safety of the patrol Car ---Driver Exit your Car with your hands up where I can see them. Walk to the rear of your car place hands on the Trunk. Standard for a Night Time Stop when not Buddied up. if and when you feel endangered. Even if the windows are Clear.