waderman1

NJ Window Tinting Laws

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I can't find the answer I want on the internet so I am reaching out to my fellow SOLs....

Just curious- I'm seeing a lot more cars and trucks with their front and front passenger windows tinted.  Did something change in NJ?  I'm hearing that the police are no longer allowed to pull somebody over for tinted windows.  There must be another valid reason to show cause.

I dunno about window tinting, but all of the town cops around here halted normal "traffic stops"  back in March when the commie Gov. shut it all down. Only cops I see pulling folks over are in my small town, because of the jagoffs that decided that they could then do fifty mph down our residential streets. My town Chief even came to my house months ago to ask if he could park a unit in our driveway to help catch the jagoffs. Of course I said yes. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a show car as a daily driver.  27 window tint tickets.  I only had 35%

That was almost 20 years ago though.  Any tint on the front windows that did not come that way from the factory (can easily tell)

Could get a ticket.

(at no point did I ever have a police officer "remove" it like some say happens.

This happened in about 10 different counties and the ticket was 35$

couldn't tell ya what it is now

But yeah....5% tint isn't a factory option unless it 's from a limosine/ coach company. 

20% is pretty dark and I see that all over the place now.

So people either don't care about the fines, or the police no longer care.

Edited by scoobydoo

When I bought my used truck 2016 all the windows were tinted. Went to inspection and they failed me for my windshield only. I didn't have to remove the tint on the whole windshield just a 8"X8" square so you can see the inspection sticker.

I think the biggest change is they don't fail you for them when getting inspected. Up until a few years ago you'd fail inspection for window tint.

Still can be ticketed. But even that they don't seem to enforce much anymore. Its been over 10 years since I've gotten one after getting what seemed to be one every six months for awhile. 

Most cops in north jersey are too busy going job to job to have time for MV stops.

However, if you are involved in an accident especially at night, your tint may be listed as a contributing factor.

You may not get a summons but your insurance company will not be amused.

Cops in Jersey City can't be bothered ticketing blatant traffic violations, they'd never ticket for tints.  Talk about low hanging fruit! That and foggy plastic over license plates. I'd be ticketed that all day long but they are blind to it. Even our parking people whine that they're expected to issue 2 an hour. They could be in a wheelchair and issue them as fast as they could write in most places.

Here you go..

The law further states that the tinting can't reduce the visible light below a certain percent, depending on its location.

On the windshield, tinting shall not “reduce the transmittance of normally incident visible light below 70%.” On the front side windows, tinting shall not “reduce the transmittance of normally incident visible light below 60%.” 

Therein lies the problem with enforcement. The police don't have a scale or something to measure the level of tinting.

Most of these cases get thrown out of court or certainly plea bargained because of this issue.

Edited by 27conch
content

Not to derail but I wish they would enforce headlamp lumen laws! Some of the headlamps people use now are like aircraft landing lights and are very dangerous for other motorists. 

I do not know Jerseys laws on side glass tinting but I think all states have windshield tinting laws. 

I purchased a truck in NJ and when I went to get it inspected in NY the ford dealer said I had to get the tint taken off the driver and passenger front windows to pass. Its ever worse here then NJ.

I have some dark-ish tints on my driver and passenger windows, have gotten a few random tickets in NYC and nassau for speed or rolling a stop sign and have never even heard a word about it. I do put both my front windows down when the cop(s) approach the car, but maybe im just getting lucky. 

9 mins ago, dmatt said:

I purchased a truck in NJ and when I went to get it inspected in NY the ford dealer said I had to get the tint taken off the driver and passenger front windows to pass. Its ever worse here then NJ.

That sucks, I hope you brought it elsewhere to get inspected rather than taking them off. 

Yeah I feel like I have seen a lot more cars with dark tint. Some so dark it must be really hard to see at night. I don’t get the point of it. Just so people can’t see you or what’s in your car? It seems like the majority of the people that have it drive like aggressive impatient ***holes.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue