fishtilldeath

Lami or Century or CTS?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So looking for some insight. Wanna have a MODERATE 11’ rod built for south shore Long Island beaches/inlets, Montauk, Cutty, etc. able to throw down to 1oz bucks, redfins. SP, up to Super Strike lineup and up to a 4 oz riggie. Will be putting a VSX250 on it.  Here’s what I’m considering:

Lamiglas 1321M OS 

Century Stealth 1326 (can this be a one piece?) 

CTS Vapor Trail 3-6 (what’s the real rating of this rod?)

Would prefer a 1 piece I think the CTS or Century have to be old stock for that?? 

Please share your thought thanks 

The gold standard in 1 piece moderate 11’ surf rods has been the GSB 1321. The Lamiglas XRA1321 is also available as a 1 piece blank or finished rod from CMS in New Bedford MA.

I have a slight preference for the XRA for a “do everything” 11’ 1 piece rod. Although some could argue the GSB is a better fit. 

5 hours ago, fishtilldeath said:

So looking for some insight. Wanna have a MODERATE 11’ rod built for south shore Long Island beaches/inlets, Montauk, Cutty, etc. able to throw down to 1oz bucks, redfins. SP, up to Super Strike lineup and up to a 4 oz riggie. Will be putting a VSX250 on it.  Here’s what I’m considering:

Lamiglas 1321M OS 

Century Stealth 1326 (can this be a one piece?) 

CTS Vapor Trail 3-6 (what’s the real rating of this rod?)

Would prefer a 1 piece I think the CTS or Century have to be old stock for that?? 

Please share your thought thanks 

1 pc blanks are no longer needed if you have a properly designed ferrule. Century machines each tip for its own butt section so there is always a proper fit. Also both male and female sections of the ferrule are unfinished so when you put the 2 pics together ( slide into place, offset then push and twist into alignment.  This causes the unfinished carbon fiber to stand up and grab like velcro. Smooth bend thru the ferrule,  no flat spots.)

The Century S2 Stealth 1326 is the most versatile rod I've fished.  It will throw a 3/4 oz bucktail,  loves SPs, crushes tips and throws metal lips as well as can be expected,  great with eels. It will throw 5 but doesn't love it. 4oz no problem.  Since the butt section has been designed the sensitivity has gone thru the roof. Great distance with minimal effort which means no more sore shoulders and back which means you fish longer. 

Hope this helped and answered your questions. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've used a lot of surf rods in my day including 1321m OS and considered myself to be a Lamiglas man for many years but this season I fished with a Century Stealth S2 1266, 10' 6", 2-5oz., two piece. I thought it was the finest rod I have ever used. It was light and responsive. It had a nice medium ( parabolic action) similar to Lami GSB models but crisper. It handled it's lure weight rating plus casted lures well under the lower 2 oz. rating well. I also threw heavier rigged eels too. The thing that really impressed me was the casting. This this is a rocket!

Edited by VanStaalSteve

This is like a Ford or chevy/ Husqvarna or Stihl question.

They are all fine rods to really have to feel them in hand and see what you like.

It stinks there are no shows scheduled because that's when all the rods will be under one roof and you could see them all!

Oh for me I'm a century guy,

Husqvarna 

Neither Ford or Chevy

:rav:

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

26 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I've used a lot of surf rods in my day including 1321m OS and considered myself to be a Lamiglas man for many years but this season I fished with a Century Stealth S2 1266, 10' 6", 2-5oz., two piece. I thought it was the finest rod I have ever used. It was light and responsive. It had a nice medium ( parabolic action) similar to Lami GSB models but crisper. It handled it's lure weight rating plus casted lures well under the lower 2 oz. rating well. I also threw heavier rigged eels too. The thing that really impressed me was the casting. This this is a rocket!

I think the build can be as least as important as the blank. I have built 2 GSB’s with titanium torzite guides and they were crisp. 

+1 for the S2 1326

I personally felt that a vs150 was best paired up with this blank

Edited by nchit

1 hour ago, AFMike said:

1 pc blanks are no longer needed if you have a properly designed ferrule. Century machines each tip for its own butt section so there is always a proper fit. Also both male and female sections of the ferrule are unfinished so when you put the 2 pics together ( slide into place, offset then push and twist into alignment.  This causes the unfinished carbon fiber to stand up and grab like velcro. Smooth bend thru the ferrule,  no flat spots.)

The Century S2 Stealth 1326 is the most versatile rod I've fished.  It will throw a 3/4 oz bucktail,  loves SPs, crushes tips and throws metal lips as well as can be expected,  great with eels. It will throw 5 but doesn't love it. 4oz no problem.  Since the butt section has been designed the sensitivity has gone thru the roof. Great distance with minimal effort which means no more sore shoulders and back which means you fish longer. 

Hope this helped and answered your questions. 

I will need to cast one of these. I have never found a 2 piece to perform like a 1 piece. Even the high end St Croix Legends I have owned. 

Have had all 3.......

lami (built right) is a perfectly adequate rod for many........try it with a good guide layout before making decision as the factory set up is terrible.

cts vt is miles ahead in all aspects........

stealth s2 is slightly ahead of vt.......in my opinion the s2 has a wider range then either gsb or vt......under an ounce to 4+

i would try all 3 before committing to having one built

I fish SS LI Beaches, Jetty, Bay with my current gen 10' S1 Stealth and I use it for every condition commonly throwing 3/4 -3oz, bucktails, SPs, MagD, Poppers, SS Bottles. Based on this, I would certainly recommend testing the Century. I prefer fishing the lighter ranges, but it could throw 4 if I needed it to, so I would expect the S-2 to be better for your testing. Cannot compare the  Lami and CTS due to inexperience...but going through a group of "other" brand rods over time, I have not once questioned the Century rod thinking "I need better..." 

Also, The 2 Piece never really bothers me. Before this, it was one piece when possible.

I wouldn’t even bother with the CTS if rocks are involved. Best distance rod ever but that’s about where it ends. Can’t go wrong with either of the other 2. I prefer the lami just because you can get away with lots of abuse and the ability to turn fish is better. I don’t feel iffy about the rod giving in for any reason