Reel Fly 18

Quality spinner blades for saltwater?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I've been having a bit of luck with the stripers using roadrunner type bucktails the last couple of years so I bought a mold to make my own. Unfortunately I can't find any spinner blades that are equal to the quality of oe blackmore blades. I know these lures aren't popular in saltwater but some people put spinners on fluke and sea bass rigs so I'm hoping someone knows a source for quality blades. I'm interested in #2 & 3 Colorado or Indiana style blades. Btw I ordered the best ones from Barlows and they weren't good. They were thin and roughly stamped. 

Thanks 

20190516_095655.jpg

I am assuming that by "equal to the quality of oe blackmore blades" you are referring mainly to the thickness of the blade?  With that in mind, a lighter blade will have more action - I think I would prefer that quality over a heavier weighted blade, along with three other fairly good reasons:

• The thin blades that I use on my fluke/sea bass rigs never rust (most all are nickel plated brass).
  • They are easily replaced should the (unlikely) need arise and they're inexpensive.  
  • You're fishing structure in a tide and are likely to hang up and lose many rigs over the season.  (Hey, that's ground-fishing life...)

Jann's Netcraft carries Hildebrandt blades, they're beautiful, and a few sheckels more than stamped out or powder coated blades