t_man7

When do you drill your tail weight holes?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

When do you drill your tail weight holes in your plugs that have tailweight?  Before or after you cut off the square ends?  Assuming you would through drill with the square ends on for a plug that has an center through hole (like a pencil).  I would think the depth consistency with the square ends on would be much less precise.  As the length of the stock you have on each end might change from plug to plug.

I drill after everything else is done...and no need to cut off square ends cause I cut the plugs to finish lenght to start with...I put tape on the bits to get the right depth depending on the plug.

8 mins ago, capesams said:

I drill after everything else is done...and no need to cut off square ends cause I cut the plugs to finish lenght to start with...I put tape on the bits to get the right depth depending on the plug.

I would assume that having no square ends means your using a V block?

2 mins ago, BassAssasin said:

I leave square end on front and cut off back , drill hole for weight on drill press

Have you tried drilling on the lathe?  Are you through drilling before you cut the  off?

image.jpg

2 hours ago, t_man7 said:

I would assume that having no square ends means your using a V block?

v blocks when drilling belly holes..mini lathe on end holes......hardly use a drill press for end holes.

v blocks can have many attachments added to keep the plug in it's place while drilling..one only needs to explore your mind to make things work...trial an error is how you learn.

Tail weights.  Assumption is a counter bore that follows the thru-hole, as opposed to a slug somewhere along the belly.  I cut off the ends and then return to the lathe.  Each plug has a drill dia and depth referenced for that weight hole.  I also pour the tail weights in the plug rather than make slugs with a thru hole and cut those to length.  The counterbore for the weight has to be nice and clean, free of debris, to pour them.  After installing the counterbore I re-install the long thru hole bit or a steel rod of the thru-hole diameter and pour around it.  Follows the plug's thru-hole perfectly avoiding a possible step in that feature.  One nice thing about this method is that if the thru-hole is off center just a tad, I can correct this by cheating the rod back into the center position while pouring.  It cleans up the look if necessary.

On plugs that are center drilled, like a pencil, thru hole is drilled on the lathe while the square ends are on. I then cut off the ends. Off center home, ends are removed first. V-block to hold for drilling swivel hole. Tailweight hole done on the drill press.