SG1

New OC Nuke plant in 5 years.... maybe!

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

A federally subsidized study is in the works to  determine the feasibility of building a new high tech nuke plant at the currently closed Oyster Creek site. 

Warm outflow  back in 2025??

Yay or nay, what say you? 

WAYNE PARRY , ASSOCIATED PRESS 
January 05, 2021 - 1:47 PM

LACEY, N.J. — The company that's in the process of mothballing one of the nation's oldest nuclear power plants says it is interested in building a new next-generation nuclear reactor at the same site in New Jersey.

Holtec International last month received $147.5 million — $116 million of which will come from the U.S. Department of Energy — to complete research and development work on a modern nuclear reactor that could be built at the site of the former Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station in the Forked River section of Lacey Township, New Jersey.

50 plus yrs after the original I'd imagine whatever is state of the art in that industry would be significantly different than what was there so no, I would not expect anything remotely similar to what was there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I too was a skeptic but it’s coming more like a freight train.

In 2021 tesla will sell over 500,000  cars in just US

i guarantee you within 3 years most new big rig trucks will be electric

did you know that the WORLDs largest utility  provider is not only US based but 100% solar and wind?  Oil is just like the store  7-11, they are both dead but don’t know it yet

Edited by wasy

2035 is a target date to have majority of new vehicles sold be electric.  Wish I could remember where I read that so I could share more details. 

SMR would have no impact on the bay.

SMR-160 does not need to be sited next to a river, a lake or sea unlike typical power plants. It is engineered to have an option to reject its waste heat directly to the atmosphere by utilizing its cutting-edge capability to operate using an air-cooling system in lieu of a large quantity of water. With the flexibility to use air-cooled condensers, SMR-160 can be deployed in the most arid regions of the world, such as a desert.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:39 PM, makorider said:

I doubt the incoming administration is going to be nuke friendly.

electric cars charged from coal generated electricity good; nuclear bad

Just what we want more coal effluent out in the atmosphere.

On 1/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, fishless said:

50 plus yrs after the original I'd imagine whatever is state of the art in that industry would be significantly different than what was there so no, I would not expect anything remotely similar to what was there.

Google Holtec and read about SMR's it an interesting concept.

On 1/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, fishless said:

Completely different design than the plant that remains.  I will say the creek was a former employer of mine and at least one other member of this site.  It is sad it was shut down prematurely as it was running as well as it ever had.

Cabo

19 hours ago, Cabo2005 said:

Completely different design than the plant that remains.  I will say the creek was a former employer of mine and at least one other member of this site.  It is sad it was shut down prematurely as it was running as well as it ever had.

Cabo

Id being lying if I said I don't miss fishing there.  Grew up fishing there as a kid.  Parents dropped me and friends off after school and picked us up before dark.  Many many years later I still enjoyed it.  And yes there were places to fish to avoid crowds if you were the adventurous type and avoided illegal trespassing.