jason colby

Blood Mercury Level

Rate this topic

118 posts in this topic

I had a physical last week and before I go my wife sez while they are taking blood,  I should get my mercury level checked. so yesterday they call with the results and say my mercury level four times "normal" (normal is: <10 ng/mL while mine is over 40). Did anyone here get themselves checked?

If someone has elevated content, what can you do besides give up eating fish? Hell, I don't even eat much of the high risk products at all (tuna, sword, shark). I wonder where my mercury is coming from.....

Jason - Happy New Year - the first thing I'd do is get retested. After a physical years ago my bloodwork showed I had very high iron levels in my blood, a condition called Hemotomacrosis - I was very concerned - got retested, iron levels were totally normal.

Good Luck

7 mins ago, petergulickjr said:

Jason - Happy New Year - the first thing I'd do is get retested. After a physical years ago my bloodwork showed I had very high iron levels in my blood, a condition called Hemotomacrosis - I was very concerned - got retested, iron levels were totally normal.

Good Luck

Thank you but I believe the test. If anyone on the planet eats "too much fish" that would be me. I'm only surprised that it is that high because I don't eat much of the high risk stuff. What I am guilty of is eating fish at least 4 or 5 times a week for the past 45 years or so. 

I will try to cut down and get re tested in 12 months. My doctor wants me to see a endocrinologist who may re test me anyway. We will see....  

58 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I have a priapism that I have to get taken care off... My girlfriend don't wont me to get it taken care of.. 

I had to look that up and I for sure have 

non-ischemic priapism. Constant semi all the time. This finally explains it!

I love SOL.

Most of my medical information comes from here but usually it’s the tavern or pg.

I like my priapism. It’s like being twelve for life.  :D

1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

I have a priapism that I have to get taken care off... My girlfriend don't wont me to get it taken care of.. 

Do they call you "Mr. Packinwood"?

6 hours ago, jason colby said:

Thank you but I believe the test. If anyone on the planet eats "too much fish" that would be me. I'm only surprised that it is that high because I don't eat much of the high risk stuff. What I am guilty of is eating fish at least 4 or 5 times a week for the past 45 years or so. 

I will try to cut down and get re tested in 12 months. My doctor wants me to see a endocrinologist who may re test me anyway. We will see....  

Fish 4-5 times a week is a lot. What types of fish usually? I think all fish has mercury but small fish like tog and flounder don’t get the attention or testing that tuna and swordfish get. 

Having a high mercury level isn't all bad.   One thing, you get really good at telling what the temperature is. Also,  when the temps get high, you get taller.

22 mins ago, z-man said:

Fish 4-5 times a week is a lot.

Yeah, that seems like a lot. We do once a week, and not much of that is blue or striper.  That's not counting having some smoked blue or tog for breakfast probably once or twice too, but there's not a lot of fish on a bagel.

I need to get a lead test. My wife was reading off symptoms below pointing out that I hit all of those buttons except the headache!

• High blood pressure.
  • Joint and muscle pain.
  • Difficulties with memory or concentration.
  • Headache.
  • Abdominal pain.
  • Mood disorders.

8 hours ago, jason colby said:

I had a physical last week and before I go my wife sez while they are taking blood,  I should get my mercury level checked. so yesterday they call with the results and say my mercury level four times "normal" (normal is: <10 ng/mL while mine is over 40). Did anyone here get themselves checked?

If someone has elevated content, what can you do besides give up eating fish? Hell, I don't even eat much of the high risk products at all (tuna, sword, shark). I wonder where my mercury is coming from.....

How do you know your levels are related to fish consumption as opposed to another route of exposure?   

You could work/live in an environment that has mercury contamination and could be inhaling mercury vapors.   There are other possibilities other than ingestion.

10 hours ago, Jonesy02719 said:

How do you know your levels are related to fish consumption as opposed to another route of exposure?   

You could work/live in an environment that has mercury contamination and could be inhaling mercury vapors.   There are other possibilities other than ingestion.

Fish consumption, while not the only factor for many does seem the most likely reason for me as I do eat a lot of fish. I live in a rural area, never industrialized and when I'm not home I'm on my boat or doing "something fishy". 

My common products are sea bass, blackfish, striper and flounder. All low on the mercury totem pole so I must make it up in sheer volume?

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

Having a high mercury level isn't all bad.   One thing, you get really good at telling what the temperature is. Also,  when the temps get high, you get taller.

Then why do I seem to get shorter as I age? Perhaps it's too cold?

Damn Global Cooling!

7 mins ago, jason colby said:

Fish consumption, while not the only factor for many does seem the most likely reason for me as I do eat a lot of fish. I live in a rural area, never industrialized and when I'm not home I'm on my boat or doing "something fishy". 

My common products are sea bass, blackfish, striper and flounder. All low on the mercury totem pole so I must make it up in sheer volume?

It could be something as simple as a broken mercury thermometer or barometer that spilled in your house before you lived there.  You don’t need to live in an industrialized area to have mercury exposure.  The worst mercury spills I’ve seen were at residences, in fact.  Old timers would save elemental mercury in mason jars, and when one of those smashed, it would be a major problem.

18 hours ago, jason colby said:

Did you watch Elias V's vid on his mercury test.  Dude eats tons of fish.....His levels were fine.

Might want to get ret ested.

42 mins ago, Jonesy02719 said:

It could be something as simple as a broken mercury thermometer or barometer that spilled in your house before you lived there.  You don’t need to live in an industrialized area to have mercury exposure.  The worst mercury spills I’ve seen were at residences, in fact.  Old timers would save elemental mercury in mason jars, and when one of those smashed, it would be a major problem.

Funny you mention the mason jar mercury containment. I have a jar down stairs about a couple of pounds sitting . I used to break all the old thermometers and sell the mercury to the junk yard. They stopped buying it once every one told them it was hazards waist . Peace and Prayers