Ted Pietz

Weakfish in December? Wow!!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Amazing to me is the Reports from the Frances Fleet of weakfish being taken while cod fishing, There is picture of guys holding weakfish and cod from the December 30th trip. 

Oh wow.... 

I guess deep water still holds a good warm temp for them to be near or they came up and just never left (like the bunkers)?

thats awsome good to see ..... maybe this whole region is changing who knows Ive been a landscaper many many years  it seems like the spring and summer  season is gettting longer and winters abit milder 

The water temperature at the buoy off of Portland Maine was 45 degrees 2 days ago. Generally it is lower than that but we haven't been hit with hard weather yet.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here is a bit more about what was thought about weakfish 120 years or more ago. 

I am especially interested in the thought that weakfish are more abundant when bluefish are not. 

I hope you find this as interesting as I do.

Enjoy,

Ted

Scan_20210116 (4).jpg

Scan_20210116.jpg

Scan_20210116 (2).jpg

Scan_20210116 (3).jpg

100_8036.JPG

Edited by Ted Pietz
bad picture

Well if there’s a correlation between bluefish and weakfish numbers, weakfish should be crazy abundant now because the bluefish are certainly lacking...

This has been a theory of mine for some time. Weakfish will fill the niche. They are a good eating fish too. Hopefully they will get their chance as they are fun to catch but they do have  a soft mouth so hooks pull out easy so they need to be played in. The colors of the fish are beautiful. 

I hope this holds true.  I fish DE and the weakie used to be everywhere.  Big tiderunners all night.  But....... there where also lots of blues around as well.

Still lots of spikes in the DE bay but they never seem to grow up????   Theory is that the netters get them before they get large?

Perhaps they will be studied by the biologists to make a determination on what is the best way forward to protect the future stocks. I consider it a game fish and  a table fish so it does deserve some form of management.