Cameron Scott OKeefe

Guide placement/sizing for 9’2 surf blank black hole

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hello! I am looking for some advice on guide placement and size on a 9’2 black hole surf blank. I am looking to use double foot Fuji K guides. Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA!

Use KW30-25-20-12 as reducers then #10 or #8 runners to tip.  Put the #30 around 30" from the spool face then "bullzeye" the rest.  Use static load to place your runners to top.  There is also a solid argument that using single foot KL-H guides would would make that rod perform better.  KLH25-12-8M-KB6 would lighten up the top section a bit, slide the guide train closer to the spool face and add a few more guides.  

11 mins ago, tbush said:

Use KW30-25-20-12 as reducers then #10 or #8 runners to tip.  Put the #30 around 30" from the spool face then "bullzeye" the rest.  Use static load to place your runners to top.  There is also a solid argument that using single foot KL-H guides would would make that rod perform better.  KLH25-12-8M-KB6 would lighten up the top section a bit, slide the guide train closer to the spool face and add a few more guides.  

Thank you!

25-12-8m-7L would be my reduction for majority of plugging rods nowadays if you use single foot that is. 

super light, casts great. You won’t regret it 

1 hour ago, a rod n a reel said:

25-12-8m-7L would be my reduction for majority of plugging rods nowadays if you use single foot that is. 

super light, casts great. You won’t regret it 

I am trying this guide train out on a 9 foot Rainshadow Revalation and the KR gps software is putting the stripper 22 inches past the spool, it looks kind of weird is this roughly how close the kl-h strippers usually are on surf rods? I have taped it up as is and will test cast it. 

2 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

give strong consideration to the kl-h setup for that blank

This is who taught me the way.  Mike is the Fuji guide placement jedi, listen to him....

19 mins ago, Pootitoot said:

I am trying this guide train out on a 9 foot Rainshadow Revalation and the KR gps software is putting the stripper 22 inches past the spool, it looks kind of weird is this roughly how close the kl-h strippers usually are on surf rods? I have taped it up as is and will test cast it. 

There are a few factors that will determine this measurement.  What reel, what line?  My KLH25 is 22" from the spool face.  8' cts baycaster , saragosa 5k, 30lb pp

Posted (edited)

22 mins ago, Pootitoot said:

What reel and what line?

On a 9' it sounds about right, maybe an inch or so further out, but try 1st

Edited by ZAFisher

Posted (edited)

9'6 Slingshot

VS150 with VSB foot (makes it a little taller)

KL25H at 650mm from spool face

Not my rod - I helped a SOL member out a couple of years ago and he took some videos he sent to me when he tested

Edited by ZAFisher

1 hour ago, Pootitoot said:

Yes that is correct. KR puts the stripper and choke a lot closer for some reels. Depending on the axis of the shaft. Go make a cast, you will be impressed :) 

on my vs150 I believe it’s 22-24”. No more. 

on my zeebaas it’s around 26-28”. 

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

What reel and what line?

On a 9' it sounds about right, maybe an inch or so further out, but try 1st

5000 certate lt with 20-30lb braid