Captain Ahab

Home Waters?

65 posts in this topic

Looking at some of the threads and advice on here got me wondering where are your "home" waters for fw?

I am fishing the coal regions about hour north of allentown pa towards Scranton.  Lehigh river valley with lots of streams and lakes 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I live on the coast, my actual home water is the creek that flows into Bogue Sound a few hundred yards from my house - that creek is brackish and all I catch there is SW fish.  I drive about 12 miles to fish in the FW portion of the White Oak River as it flows through the Croatan National Forest, but my favorite FW is the Trent River - about 35 minutes and I can fish off a town pier or off the boat dock of my old Army buddy in his backyard (that location always come with good company and lunch!). OH

Ps. Captain, my son spent his first two years of college at Allentown College of Saint Francis DeSales.  That was 20 years ago and I wasn’t back into fishing then, so I missed out on our trips up there.

Edited by Old Hunter

Freshwater, the lakes, ponds, and streams of Suffolk County, Long Island, New York.

Saltwater, draw a 100 mile circle around Long Island's Fire Island Inlet; any saltwater it touches, I consider home (and my boat has the range to get to).

I usually fish within 2 hours of the Philadelphia area. I recently moved further away from the city so i have some more home waters to explore. I'm now 5 minutes away from the Schuylkill river so i plan on fishing this stretch a lot more.

I'm a 5 minute walk from the Schuylkill River, but the stretch is not conducive to fly fishing.  My home water is the Wissahickon Creek.  I fish it from Chestnut Hill college to about 1 1/2 miles below the Valley Green Inn.  It's got a good population of panfish and smallmouth and largemouth bass to keep me occupied for a couple of hours.  I don't really fish for trout there.  I do carry a box of trout flies with me because you can catch them all year.  For trout, Valley Creek would be my choice, wild fish, spooky and hard to catch.  My fishing buddies and I make a several trips up to the Poconos.  Most frequently to Lake Shohola and Little Egypt lake.  Salt Water, Brigantine south to Cape May.

home waters are ponds, lakes and rivers in Massachusetts for LMB and SMB.  looking forward to expanding my range to NH and Maine in 2021.

Top half of n.j. Fw northern n.j. moco, occo for surf....rods always in the truck if it looks good I went a line

Edited by Surf bomber

The Mighty James in RVA and it’s tributaries... population is so dense around here that any pond is going to be on private property but the river has plenty to offer. 
 Unfortunately the weather has had the river looking like boiling yoo hoo for the past few months, but I still get out at least weekly.

World class catfish, small and lmb, huge gar and a spring run of stripers. If you go to the mountains it has Muskies.

The Allegheny River and connecting creeks from Sharpsburg on out to lock 4 are my home stomping grounds, but on occasion I have gone as far East as lock 7 or as far West into the Ohio river waters.

But, I also stomp on the reservoirs, small rivers, and creeks out North of Allegheny county.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I am very lucky to call LI Sound my home water

But

21 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I am fishing the coal regions about hour north of allentown pa towards Scranton.  Lehigh river valley with lots of streams and lakes 

I am looking to replace that with Poconos or/and around