Popasilov

Caumstate state park fishing permit

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don’t get me started on beach access on Long Island but the only decent access for fisherman on foot in Suffolk County is Robert Moses, maybe Smith Point and  Shinnecock inlet but there is always a catch, for example alter Memorial Day field five at Moses, even with a night permit, is closed.  I think it’s an effront to the intelligence of fishermen to sell only 500 permits at Caumsett in a structured mad scramble with a ridiculous narrow window to make it look fair.  What if all 500 permit holders decided to go fishing every night from May to December? Would that work? Why not just have a lottery if they, and I don’t even know who they are, want to limit access? The north shore access basically sucks except around Sunkin Meadow and Nissiquogue State Park and there are some good North Fork spots but the landed gentry have the north shore sewed up as well as the north shore of great South Bay. This is very Feng Shui like where north always defeats south. There is virtually no developed estuarine access in Great South Bay.* I was urged to vote for sewers to clean up the Carls River but there is no real stake in it for me with regard to estuary access on the Carls’ except the bandshell south of  Montauk Highway. Again the landed gentry have the only real access. How about fishing access off the Robert Moses Causeway? Nope, way beyond  the short sighted fishery and wildlife managers our taxes support. I am not calling for parking facilities for 500 cars at these sites but some creative landscaping and footpaths could help to generate enthusiasm and appreciation of nature for people fishing or simply out for a walk. I guess people’s priorities are obvious where a multi millions dollar industry has arisen mowing and dumping chemicals on lawns which pollute estuaries. 

Edited by TimS
overly specific location info removed

3 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Im pretty sure i would be able to get one if they allowed to buy it in person

That would be correct way.

Luckily got it to work this morning. First time getting this pass. Super excited, sometimes the whole airdown sandy beach thing gets old. The beach for sure looks fishy. I am sorry for those who had issues. I would be PISSED.

Happy New Year!

It’s amazing what I assume the internet has done to this permit. Years ago you went to the office and picked it up,  maybe saw a couple other guys. You probably had at least until 2nd week of January to secure one. Last year I was on line for two hours, I was in dismay. Today was lucky enough to get it at 7am, but wow have times changed. You’d think it was an iPhone. :dismay:

Edited by Rip-Line

Not surprised.. plus when you allow out of state people to buy too it fills up fast.. Place sucks anyway. I've bought the pass for the last 4 years. Too many bugs, bucket brigade bonfire parties all night, garbage. And the fishing been terrible unless you wanna clam for porgies. Been packed during the day too. Much better places with easier free access. 

Herd it was a blood bath of about 10 minutes to sell out.... another old gem blown up in recent years..... 

Access is a balance between achieving it and respecting it.  Part of the problem is the better the access the bigger the problems and exploding angler populations have driven what were once quiet, local's areas Into nightly gatherings of multiple dozens from all over the geographic island.  

In a strange way I'm glad access is an on-going challenge, the less shore line exposed to the barbaric masses the better, in my opinion.

Edited by DeepBlue85

The situation with Covid caused the unprecedented rush to buy the permit by guys who would never have bought it if they had to go to the office and wait on line. Last year they were sold out on day one in seven hours. I don't understand the attraction as the fishing there hasn't been good in a very long time!

Marc

12 hours ago, C.Robin said:

All we need is a stripers online school bus and this issue will be solved.

More than one

14 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Herd it was a blood bath of about 10 minutes to sell out.... another old gem blown up in recent years..... 

Access is a balance between achieving it and respecting it.  Part of the problem is the better the access the bigger the problems and exploding angler populations have driven what were once quiet, local's areas Into nightly gatherings of multiple dozens from all over the geographic island.  

In a strange way I'm glad access is an on-going challenge, the less shore line exposed to the barbaric masses the better, in my opinion.

Limiting access is a double edge sword.  I see more negative than good when access is reduced.  More crowding, more trash, more problems on the spot light. But It is what it is.   

I just got an email from Cuamstate state park to finish my application from when i tried to sign in and it kicked me out....  Weird.  I just submitted it, hopefully it processes. 

7 mins ago, Evil-Bay said:

I just got an email from Cuamstate state park to finish my application from when i tried to sign in and it kicked me out....  Weird.  I just submitted it, hopefully it processes. 

So did I , I sent it back and it says it’s completed. My guess is there were some applications that were rejected. Good luck !