canalmadman79

Anyone chase northern Pike in central Massachusetts?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I chase pike in CT and NY.  No plans to come to central MA, but I’d be willing to splash my boat in Lake Onota in Pittsfield if you’re interested.  Supposed to be pike in there...

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Stump pond 

Buffunville lake

Webster lake

Quinsig 

Chauncy

A1 (Mill Pond)

3 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

What is a rod and reel set up for pike?

9 wt rod and reel.  Mostly sinking line, maybe intermediate line.  I've never had a pike take a streamer on the surface, so I don't think there is much use to floating lines.

For spin gear, any 3000 or 4000 series reel with a 6'6" or 7' MH rod will work.

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

When is the last time the state stocked pike?

MA.gov has a list of lakes in the state and the years they were stocked. I can’t post the link I don’t think but if you google it; it pops right up. 

That same MassWildlife site says the following: “Northern Pike naturally reproduce in several waterbodies in the state. The natural reproduction is able to sustain the fishery in the Connecticut (including the Oxbow), Concord, Sudbury, and Housatonic (including Woods Pond) Rivers and in Pontoosuc, Onota, Buel, Cheshire, Indian, and Wequaquet Lakes.”

One thing I've noticed is some of those places seem to have black hole where the pike disappeared into.

They may be on the list but good luck finding them. 

14 mins ago, mikez2 said:

One thing I've noticed is some of those places seem to have black hole where the pike disappeared into.

They may be on the list but good luck finding them. 

Every now and then I hear of a nice one ice fishing 

14 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Every now and then I hear of a nice one ice fishing 

Oh yeah, they definitely turn up but some places seem to do better than others.

I used to fish one of the lakes on that list in the early 80s. Pike wasn't such a big draw back then and crowds were light. Many pike were caught by accident by people not targeting them. 

Action was usually pretty decent with multiple fish just under 28 inches and usually a couple bigger sprinkled in.

Then word got out and every weekend looked like an ice tournament. The fishing dried up pretty fast.

They only put so many in and they don't reproduce so if a place gets hit hard and gets left off the stocking list a few seasons, it goes from feast to famine.