Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Micropteris

Looking for advice on Mono for a beginner.

15 posts in this topic

As I haven’t used mono for anything other than a leader in the last 20 years, I am out of the loop in good modern monofilament to use as a mainline.   Last time I used mono it felt like I was using a rubber band to fish with and didn’t really enjoy it.  

I am looking to switch my 9 year old from a push button spincaster over to a spinning setup for his birthday.  I let him use mine a couple times this past summer and realized he cast better with it than his spin fisher.   I am looking to get him a 6 ft ugly stick lite and shop around for a lower midrange reel that isn’t junk for lines 6-8 lb test.  I don’t want top of the line as he would rather chase fish with a dip net and God knows how it will be stored at his mother’s house.  But he likes throwing plugs so I want to get him a setup he won’t be frustrated with.

So what’s a good mono that is easy to work with for a beginner yet won’t come off the reel like a cold slinky?

P-Line is nice....  anything over 6# starts to get unruly in most every brand.  6# will also get the vast majority of fish in as long as its not a toothy that gets the line in the mouth.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Trilene XL or Ande premium are both great monos for beginners. They handle well and last well.

Edited by Jay Blair

I've had really good experience with Stren, Trilene XL & Sufix. 

I always soak my mono in water overnight before I spool.  Then spool tight with as little twist as possible.   

I keep playing the mental tug o war on switching to braid for fw. Mono keeps winning.  

On 1/27/2021 at 7:58 AM, Jay Blair said:

Trilene XL or Ande premium are both great monos for beginners. They handle well and last well.

XL is my go too on any spinner if I am using straight mono. It is a good all around line.

XT on the baitcasters.

I really like the Sufix mono lines too, but I ended up just going back to the Trilene.

7 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

ande pink

Ande Pink is tough lower stetch commercial quality mono, but it is not as cast-able as Ande Tournament or Premium. You typically see it on headboat rental outfits or bait casting outfits that must endure a lot of abuse like when you are wreck fishing.

Ande Tournament is the softest and cast-able because it is a soft mono coated with a hard mono finish. It is not a durable as Ande Premium which is tougher than Tournament, yet softer than the Pink.

Each has it purpose and it is why they offer the different monos with different characteristics. Ande Tournament has very little memory and even after a year and it still does not create coils on the spool. Ande Premium is a little tougher and a little less subtle than tournament while the Pink is really tough mono that has more memory.

Berkley XL is similar in its casting characteristics to Ande Tournament, but it is thicker and brakes well over its pound test rating. Ande tournament is guaranteed to not over test for those interested in IGA  awards and records that require a portion of leader and line to be tested by the IGA for the record verification process.

Edited by Jay Blair

6 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

Ande Pink is tough lower stetch commercial quality mono, but it is not as cast-able as Ande Tournament or Premium. You typically see it on headboat rental outfits or bait casting outfits that must endure a lot of abuse like when you are wreck fishing.

Ande Tournament is the softest and cast-able because it is a soft mono coated with a hard mono finish. It is not a durable as Ande Premium which is tougher than Tournament, yet softer than the Pink.

Each has it purpose and it is why they offer the different monos with different characteristics. Ande Tournament has very little memory and even after a year and it still does not create coils on the spool. Ande Premium is a little tougher and a little less subtle than tournament while the Pink is really tough mono that has more memory.

Berkley XL is similar in its casting characteristics to Ande Tournament, but it is thicker and brakes well over its pound test rating. Ande tournament is guaranteed to not over test for those interested in IGA  awards and records that require a portion of leader and line to be tested by the IGA for the record verification process.

Good info! Do you have any experience with Ande Backcountry? I bought some of this in 12 lb to use for moving FW baits.

15 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Good info! Do you have any experience with Ande Backcountry? I bought some of this in 12 lb to use for moving FW baits.

I did years ago and it was similar to Ande Tournament in a gray color.

Ande Green Envy was like a HI-Vis version of Ande Premium. I used it a lot for surf fishing.

Edited by Jay Blair

My FW spinning reels are spooled with either PLine CX 6-8lb or Silver thread AN40 4-10lb but these are both copolymer lines. Silver thread is not easy to get nowadays, I bought bulk spools years ago and still have em.